Thread: Getting Bored?

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will compare the game
    That is the definition of GvG.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlak View Post
    I'm bored too, but I knew I would be. Usually, when MMO don't have paid subscriptions, they are fun for a while, then they become boring,
    I'd say subscriptions have nothing to do with it. Being bored with a game is purely a subjective thing. There are some pretty big subscription based games in which I was bored after two days but for some other people, they'll never get bored of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    That is the definition of GvG.
    But not attack either game, as you put it.

Stating the difference between them, and what people expect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    But not attack either game, as you put it.

Stating the difference between them, and what people expect.
    Stop trying to change the subject around and purposely misinterpret what I say, or what gen ot likes to call strawman. My statement was there is no need for GvG. You then state that it isn't. Now you state it isn't an attack of either game.
    What people expect is subjective to the individual.

Either way, this is just nonsensical bickering.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Stop trying to change the subject around and purposely misinterpret what I say, or what gen ot likes to call strawman. My statement was there is no need for GvG. You then state that it isn't. Now you state it isn't an attack of either game.
    What people expect is subjective to the individual.

Either way, this is just nonsensical bickering.
    It is you who misinterpreted. Game vs. game is completely different than individual expectations of a game compared to another game.

I want to play a game like World of Warcraft, I'll try GW2 - 3 weeks later "Whoa GW2 is boring!"

Again what is this site/forums centered around? I don't see a whole lot of GW2 news on the front page.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Look dude, quit ruining an admittedly not great thread. You compared the games. It's against the rules of the forums here. Be glad you haven't been reported by multiple people yet and just move on. You gave a list of reasons to compare with, referencing or alluding to another game multiple times.

You were called out, good day.

Alright. It's time to drop this argument.

Stay on topic. Quit the bickering. Post well.

- Fencers

10+ Year Old Account
    After taking a few days off of playing GW2, I logged back on to see if I could reignite the fire and finish getting my Ranger to 80. I went to a Vista, did a Heart, and did 2 DE's before I just couldn't play anymore. The 2nd DE is what did it though, it was one of those outdoor Giants. The enemy had a bazillion life and took 10-15min to kill, but only performed 3 attacks (AoE Stomp, Rock Throw, and Terror Scream). It was amazingly boring. About 10 people were there all using ranged and trying to rez people that got caught in the Stomp's AoE. I wanted to leave it was just so mind numbingly boring. If there were interesting mechanics or if the fight was shorter then that is one thing. But just adding a stupid amount of HP doesn't make a fight more fun (to me at least).

Even the PvP, which I did exclusively for weeks and week, is getting a bit stale. The maps are awesome and I LOVE the details in the environment. But every map is just a point capture. I would of really liked a lot more variety in terms of game objectives. I'm also disliking the Downed State mechanics more and more. Its gotten to the point where if I see more than 1 person coming then I just run because 1v2'ing is simply improbable thanks to the long channel time and variety of interrupts. I love the concept, don't get me wrong, but you just can't have those epic battles where you Rambo defend a node or outplay multiple opponents. And this, of course, just feeds into the Zerg mentality that is rewarded by the way Glory is administered.

Anyways, I might do like some have suggested and just shelf this game for a month or so and see what happens. There are a lot of things I really like that they did with this game, and I hope other companies blatantly rip them off because I'd like to see the industry move forward in some of these directions.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    After taking a few days off of playing GW2, I logged back on to see if I could reignite the fire and finish getting my Ranger to 80. I went to a Vista, did a Heart, and did 2 DE's before I just couldn't play anymore. The 2nd DE is what did it though, it was one of those outdoor Giants. The enemy had a bazillion life and took 10-15min to kill, but only performed 3 attacks (AoE Stomp, Rock Throw, and Terror Scream). It was amazingly boring. About 10 people were there all using ranged and trying to rez people that got caught in the Stomp's AoE. I wanted to leave it was just so mind numbingly boring. If there were interesting mechanics or if the fight was shorter then that is one thing. But just adding a stupid amount of HP doesn't make a fight more fun (to me at least).
    There's more than a few annoying mobs with that kind of feel to it. And don't forget the crap loot after the 10 minutes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maenerd View Post
    There's more than a few annoying mobs with that kind of feel to it. And don't forget the crap loot after the 10 minutes
    Yeah, 2 blue items. A Strong 1H Mace and a Something-Focus. =/

I didn't get bored with GW2, but I quit because it felt like the game designed by hipsters for hipsters, with a community to fit the profile.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

I'm bored. You really can't base an entire game around questing (which is basically what hearts/DEs are) and expect it to last forever. If I was creating a new MMO, I would make the level cap reachable in like 3 days of playing and base the entire game around raiding. Basically leveling up is a tutorial, and then you get to run around, explore new areas, kill world bosses, do raids, dungeons, solo mode dungeons, etc. Another thing that I think really made this game was stale was the fact that you only have like 5 moves.

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I didn't get bored with GW2, but I quit because it felt like the game designed by hipsters for hipsters, with a community to fit the profile.
    What.. What does this mean, exactly? Honestly, I have no idea what "a game designed by hipsters" would feel like.

Either way, I'm still enjoying GW2. It's pretty telling that me and the missus have played this game together more than we played WoW. And we've been subbed to WoW since TBC...

Now, I'm discounting raiding together here. Raids were too srs to count as 'playing the game together' and I was raidleading half the time to boot, which made it even less enjoyable. We never could just play WoW together, either my main was already way higher level or already did the zone she was on or we couldn't fit two tanks in the 4man group or... So many different things standing in the way of just wanting to play along with someone.

But GW2... seeing as how we're both working now, we play together for an hour or so practically every other night. It's barely enough time to complete the daily achievements - (which you can complete anywhere thank heavens, as opposed to WoW's completely moronic system. Really, I don't even want to sound harsh, I did the same frigging firelands dailies for months and months on end. Looking back on it, it was ridiculous.) - and maybe play a sPvP match or do a jumping puzzle.

It is still enjoyable and it's likely to remain that way for a long time. We've been playing when we can since release and we're ~ level 43 now. World completion is barely on 20%.

I guess it just depends on whether you want a game you can sink entire days into or a game which you play sporadically.

Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    If I was creating a new MMO, I would make the level cap reachable in like 3 days of playing and base the entire game around raiding.
    world of warcraft is pretty much like this

I enjoy the mental image this represents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    world of warcraft is pretty much like this
    And that's why a lot of games with this model don't work very well. WoW is doing it better, why try a different game with the 'Hit cap in 3 days, raid for the rest' model? You're just taking a risk for the same thing but less polished. This is also why that guy hasn't made an MMO - he lacks the original ideas necessary in creating a successful MMORPG.

Problem with the 'can't base a game on levelling' philosophy is that it's wrong, but GW2 isn't doing it well enough to prove that it's wrong. Make downlevelling harsher (as in things are tougher to kill and you get proportionate rewards) and add global events with nice rewards that encourage people to go to lower level zones and the whole 'endgame from level 1' thing works a whole lot better. Currently it's a little bit poorly implemented because it doesn't actually feel like a challenge going back to level 20 zones as a level 80 and it should feel like a challenge..

totally dude. no seriously I have no idea what a hipster game means. Do people still use the word hipster?

Had to look it up.. so GW2 is some kind of hippie, punk grunge game?

"hipsterism fetishizes the authentic" elements of all of the "fringe movements of the postwar era—beat, hippie, punk, even grunge," and draws on the "cultural stores of every unmelted ethnicity," and "regurgitates it with a winking inauthenticity."
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Well, I'm like, kinda a self loathing faux-hipster. So I guess it was sorta designed for me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Well, I'm like, kinda a self loathing faux-hipster. So I guess it was sorta designed for me!
    HIPSTER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I enjoy the mental image this represents.
    Guess I'm not the only one, lol.

Though I think he means that it's just has a player base that are hipsters? Don't think companies can really be hipsters, but... who knows.
    Understandable to hate any game's player base. Or at least the cult player base.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I knew there was something about you, something undefinable, mysterious and cool.

/hipster cookies
    Valar morghulis