Deleted

Question Where can one get a steam-free version of Amnesia+What's the MINIMUM it can be run on

Basically, one of my Film Studies teachers -loves- horror films. And I suggested Amnesia and said I would return with a URL where he can buy or try it for himself, but two issues:

1) I don't want him to have to faff around with steam, it's easy for ME to use but an older teacher may just want to pop the disc in/double click the short cut and play. So does the version directly from the games website (As the physical copy is US only and not UK) come WITHOUT steam and any other form of DRM besides a CD-key? If not is there any version of the game elsewhere without the need for Steam?

2) The website says the game will not run on low, LOW GPU's or integrated cards. is this really the case? The game is not very GPU intensive and my 9800GT can run the game at above 40fps with everything maxed out without an issue. So I doubt any computer or laptop made in the last few years would struggle as it's not a AAA title right? Would a fairly average computer be able to run the game properly? (Around 20+FPS minimum with some of the advanced stuff turned down or even off)

Also, if anyone links a site, can you confirm that it is safe to buy from? Don't want to be responsible for him having his details nicked or what have you. :L

15+ Year Old Account
    Did you even try doing research on either Google or their official website? The website has ~8 different options for where you can buy it from

AAA title has nothing to do with how demanding a game is; take Black Mesa. Being said, it's likely any laptop that's not an ultrabook and newer than 2 years old will be able to run Amnesia
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Aha! I did take a look but I wasn't sure if they were steam keys or not. Thanks for answering that.

As for the demand, well, I'll suggest he gets the demo first so he doesn't waste money because the game won't run just to be on the safe side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranorack View Post
    Aha! I did take a look but I wasn't sure if they were steam keys or not. Thanks for answering that.

As for the demand, well, I'll suggest he gets the demo first so he doesn't waste money because the game won't run just to be on the safe side.
    Can we get a recording of your teacher's reactions.

Ah right, the requirement according to the store page on Steam.

Processor: 2.0Ghz - Low budget CPUs such as Celeron or Duron needs to be at about twice the CPU speed
    Memory: 2 GB
    Hard Drive: 3GB
    Graphics: Radeon X1000/GF 6 - Integrated graphics and very low budget cards might not work.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-10-18 at 06:46 PM.

Deleted
    Hm, I'll ask if he has a webcam and some recording software. As a FILM STUDIES teacher I imagine he does. :P
    Heck, might show him some screen recording software as well to go along with it. (Not Fraps or Hypercam, the former costs cash and the latter is pretty naff in quality and for me it keeps bugging out. Any free alternatives?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranorack View Post
    Hm, I'll ask if he has a webcam and some recording software. As a FILM STUDIES teacher I imagine he does. :P
    Heck, might show him some screen recording software as well to go along with it. (Not Fraps or Hypercam, the former costs cash and the latter is pretty naff in quality and for me it keeps bugging out. Any free alternatives?)
    MSI Afterburner works, it's a free software for videocards, but has a record.

My comp is about 6 months old (Dell Inspiron i620) and it would not run Amnesia. I would just get a black screen with a white dot in the middle. Many newer games like Diablo III, Just Cause 2, and Old Republic played fine but Amnesia for whatever reason just wasn't compatible with the Intel HD integrated graphics.

I since upgraded the graphics with an ati radeon card and now it plays flawlessly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonatic View Post
    My comp is about 6 months old (Dell Inspiron i620) and it would not run Amnesia. I would just get a black screen with a white dot in the middle. Many newer games like Diablo III, Just Cause 2, and Old Republic played fine but Amnesia for whatever reason just wasn't compatible with the Intel HD integrated graphics.

I since upgraded the graphics with an ati radeon card and now it plays flawlessly.
    Mac System Requirements
    Minimum:

Processor: 2.0Ghz
    Memory: 1 GB RAM
    Graphics: Radeon X1000/GeForce 6 (Integrated Intel Graphics not supported)
    Hard Drive: 2GB space free

Doesn't seem like it likes intel hd.