Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    So, 3770. If you want to overclock you need the 3770K, this also requires a Z77 motherboard.

If you don't want to overclock (which seems to be the case), you can get the 3770 (no-K), this does not require a Z77 motherboard. You can opt for a H77 motherboard and save $10.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post
    Wrong. Cuda Acceleration, Mercury Playback Engine use tech from Nvidia. While it is possible to heavily mod and run CUDA and MPE on some ATI cards in some instances, it's glitchy and does not always work. More then likely the OP uses programs that would benefit more from an nvidia card.

Anything built on this budget will run games. The focus here is helping the OP get the most bang for his buck in terms of video editing/3d rendering.

Stop blindly telling people to get 7950. Do some research before you offer people here advice. You have inexperienced builders who may just follow your advice down the wrong road.
    Have you even read what i wrote down. Im telling the OP to check what for programs he will be using and if they are GPU dependable. As far as gaming goes, a 7950 boost card will be better than a 660 ti.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-19.html

I could imagine the better mem specs (384 bus vs 192, 3gb vs 2 gb) could also make a difference for rendering etc. But my main advice is to check the programs the OP will be using. If they favor nvidia get a nvidia card, otherwise it might a good idea to check out something from AMD in that price range which is a 7950.
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2012-10-19 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Have you even read what i wrote down. Im telling the OP to check what for programs he will be using and if they are GPU dependable. As far as gaming goes, a 7950 boost card will be better than a 660 ti.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-19.html

I could imagine the better mem specs (384 bus vs 192, 3gb vs 2 gb) could also make a difference for rendering etc. But my main advice is to check the programs the OP will be using. If they favor nvidia get a nvidia card, otherwise it might a good idea to check out something from AMD in that price range which is a 7950.
    Congratulations, you linked something to argue on the side of what would be better for gaming.

All of these sample builds have centered around trying to get the OP as much bang for his buck for video editing and 3d rendering, with gaming as a secondary while maintaining his budget. Mid/high range nvidia gaming cards still have CUDA/OpenGL capability, though Quadro cards are still better. On the other hand, I haven't found anything yet stating that Mid/High range AMD gaming cards can touch on their FirePro equivalent compared to the nvidia family.

Another note, now talking about AMD FirePro(AMD's equivalent of the Nvidia Quadro), it performs great but apparently a lot of users run into issues where it will not render AT ALL in a large variety of programs. Based on that as well as previous info, and I am sure even more info which I lack.. Sites that focus on video editing/3d rendering, as well as the hardware builds for such rigs seem to always recommend against anything other then Nvidia. Especially in budget builds where you are using a gaming GPU rather a workstation GPU for the sake of some gaming capability.

That doesn't mean AMD is a bad idea, but it definitely restricts your options as far as programs in the realm of video editing/3d rendering.

If the OP wants an AMD card after all of that, he'd have to look at lower end 7870's, as the viable builds I posted are actually centered around a GTX 660 and not the GTX 660 Ti.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

Will you be overclocking your CPU anytime soon?
    No. I don't think i will overclock him anytime soon. Since overclocking only increases the CPU speed, right? Does it has any effect even tough i keep the same video card etc?

---------- Post added 2012-10-19 at 05:01 PM ----------

The main programs i use:
    Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe After effects
    Adobe premiere
    Maya / Cinema4D

At the moment i don't render out a lot a week but since i am planning to edit at least 2 video's a week with this pc + some additional 3D.

If i want to overclock my current build in the future is that even possible? Since Yurano said i need the 3770K for that. Would by pc benefit from it even tough the CPU is already 3,4 ghz. Of course it get's faster. (quite same line as post above i see now ;p).

Regarding the 2 TB HDD. i don't think i need that much space on my computer. 1 TB will be fine. i tend to keep my pc's rather clean so i guess taking a 2 TB HDD is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hevlex View Post
    No. I don't think i will overclock him anytime soon. Since overclocking only increases the CPU speed, right? Does it has any effect even tough i keep the same video card etc?

---------- Post added 2012-10-19 at 05:01 PM ----------

The main programs i use:
    Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe After effects
    Adobe premiere
    Maya / Cinema4D

At the moment i don't render out a lot a week but since i am planning to edit at least 2 video's a week with this pc + some additional 3D.

If i want to overclock my current build in the future is that even possible? Since Yurano said i need the 3770K for that. Would by pc benefit from it even tough the CPU is already 3,4 ghz. Of course it get's faster. (quite same line as post above i see now ;p).

Regarding the 2 TB HDD. i don't think i need that much space on my computer. 1 TB will be fine. i tend to keep my pc's rather clean so i guess taking a 2 TB HDD is useless.
    Damn, what do you know.

All those programs will benefit more from a mid range nvidia GPU rather a mid range ATI gaming GPU. Hell, people say the GTX 660 ti is the best bang for the buck card when it comes to adobe premier. Unless Zeara has anymore input on this outside of a gaming standpoint, we will continue looking at nvidia cards.

As far as your CPU, all programs will benefit from any increase in speed gained from overclocking. This would honestly be especially useful for your case. Let me make some modifications and see where we stand.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

€1041.05 Mid ATX build without aftermarket CPU cooler, at stock temps the stock cooler is fine.

€1051.63 Micro ATX build with aftermarket CPU cooler.

These are the final two builds I present you with for now, heh.
    Thanks for the help so far man! Really appreciate it. And all the others also of course for responding! Hope somebody can answer my questions regarding over clocking. Than i will be a happy man and capable to make a choise i think .

---------- Post added 2012-10-19 at 05:31 PM ----------

Damn, what do you know.

All those programs will benefit more from a mid range nvidia GPU rather a mid range ATI gaming GPU. Hell, people say the GTX 660 ti is the best bang for the buck card when it comes to adobe premier. Unless Zeara has anymore input on this outside of a gaming standpoint, we will continue looking at nvidia cards.

As far as your CPU, all programs will benefit from any increase in speed gained from overclocking. This would honestly be especially useful for your case. Let me make some modifications and see where we stand.
    Yeah, i am quite new to the "making your own pc" My first step build be to get advice and learn to build it with friends. Than self educate myself in the next years so i can upgrade / overclock it all myself). Good to hear 660 TI is the best bang for buck thing!

I hope you got the whole picture now about all the ins and outs about me yeah. In the future i might overclock CPU and might upgrade several parts but time will tell. (but would be nice to have the option with this system if it came to it).

While overclocking your CPU will increase your speed when it comes to video editing, it's going to be a minor increase that some would claim it is ultimately not worth it in a budget build.

The real point where you will notice a large difference in overclocking is 3D rendering/modeling/sculping. Depending on how you are going about this, at times it can be CPU dependent and other times GPU dependent.

In instances where you are doing CPU dependent rendering, the general consensus from what I have found so far is to overclock. However, the CPU's we are looking run quite hot and may not have a whole lot of space for overclocking.

It is honestly your call. Here are a few builds you might want to consider.

PCPartPicker part list
    Total: €1127.80

I know this exceeds your budget, but I figure I would show you this regardless. This is probably the ideal setup for you. CPU overclock potential, arguably the best GTX 660 Ti on the market as well as other ideal parts. All wrapped up in a moderately good case compared to cheaper options. This case has a few stock blue LED fans btw. If you wanted to opt out of the LED's, you could replace it with an Antec 100 model case for about the same price.

PCPartPicker part list
    Total: €1055.82

Going back to your budget, this went over a little but it gives you a significantly better case then cheaper models listed on pcpartpicker for your region. If you decide not to bother with overclocking your CPU, then we come up with this build.

Again, you could swap out the Case for the Antec 100 if you don't want blue LED fans.

PCPartPicker part list
    Total: €1050.28

Here's the last alternate to this build. Has a 3770k and cooler for overclocking but at the cost of dropped the ideal GTX 660 ti to a GTX 660.

Thank you Bruce, you gave me a lot of insights. This is really going to help me out! Checked them all out and will sleep a night or two over it. Probably order the parts i want monday. I set the budget to €1050,- for myself on the beginning cause i knew i don't have any problems to go fast over it. But in the long term i prefer a affordable good quality pc that last some years and has upgrade potential instead of buying the best of the best (never smart to do that in my opinion, since stuff like this goes so fast . Looking at Moore's law etc. Also thank you to the rest! <3