Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Am I really out of line for presuming that he was actually looking for the best warlock spec, when the title of the topic is "Is demo or destro the spec to be in PVP?". While the title doesn't include affliction, I do think it deserves mentioning, being vastly superior to all other specs by a massive margin and all... Just in case a new warlock drops by the forum to find out what's happening, it would be unfortunate for him to leave after being grosly miss-informed.

To sum it up; "The spec to be in PVP" is affliction.

Deleted
    No idea how can you play destro in wpvp or bgs. Destro requires embers to do any serious damage. Embers are pretty hard to get and you can easily get cornered without embers and then you're screwed.

Demo has the advantage that its stuff is mostly instant and is more suited for pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    Am I really out of line for presuming that he was actually looking for the best warlock spec, when the title of the topic is "Is demo or destro the spec to be in PVP?". While the title doesn't include affliction, I do think it deserves mentioning, being vastly superior to all other specs by a massive margin and all... Just in case a new warlock drops by the forum to find out what's happening, it would be unfortunate for him to leave after being grosly miss-informed.

To sum it up; "The spec to be in PVP" is affliction.

The lack of mobility turns me away, as well as poor burst. Malefic grasp is too big of a HEY I'M OVER HERE.

Master of puppets I'm pullin' your strings!

10+ Year Old Account
    vastly superior to all other specs by a massive margin and all...
    In PVE you may be near right, but I think you are grossly incorrect about affliction being vastly superior to destro and demo in PVP by a massive margin.
    Guatama - Enhancement
    Slowbrah - Retribution/Holy
    Jamespage - Demonology PVP
    Evocati (H - Zul'jin) is recruiting for 25 man.
    Visit our website to apply.

For RBG's: destro.

I play a warlock and a blood dk. Tanks got great survivability in pvp cause of damage reduction AND because they get -6% less chance to be critted. The guaranteed crit of chaos bolt is the best tank killer in game currently. Nothing campares.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NPSlow View Post
    In PVE you may be near right, but I think you are grossly incorrect about affliction being vastly superior to destro and demo in PVP by a massive margin.
    Destro isn't viable in high rated arena until we can get a more reasonable cast time on Chaos Bolt. Demonology has no dispel protection and does depend alot on the dots.
    For RBGs Destro is certainly good, since you can blow up whatever and gain lots of embers through simple immolate rain of fire spamming. But the insane overall pressure you lose from not having a multidotting affliction warlock (not to mention the burst you can pull off by spamming a few haunts) easily outweighs it. Control the healers and you won't need chaos bolt crits to make stuff die. Also, you're not alone in RBGs, the frostdk, arms warrior, BM hunter of frostmage can handle the burst, but none of the mentioned can even come close to the affliction overall damage.

Affliction has fine burst and requires very little casting to remain viable even while trained. Destruction on the other hand becomes a Target Dummy as soon as you've got a <random interrupt> on you. Demonology becomes a <random critter> biting your ankles when the opposing team dispels all your dots.
    Sure UA is still a bit of a joke when it's dispelled, but having them everywhere makes it great. I do intend to be playing destruction in arena, as soon as we can get the reasonable cast time I mentioned. I intend to try it anyway...

Affliction is the weakest Lock spec in arena right now. Worst survivability with very low kill potential.

---------- Post added 2012-10-21 at 05:26 PM ----------

Destro isn't viable in high rated arena until we can get a more reasonable cast time on Chaos Bolt. Demonology has no dispel protection and does depend alot on the dots.
    For RBGs Destro is certainly good, since you can blow up whatever and gain lots of embers through simple immolate rain of fire spamming. But the insane overall pressure you lose from not having a multidotting affliction warlock (not to mention the burst you can pull off by spamming a few haunts) easily outweighs it. Control the healers and you won't need chaos bolt crits to make stuff die. Also, you're not alone in RBGs, the frostdk, arms warrior, BM hunter of frostmage can handle the burst, but none of the mentioned can even come close to the affliction overall damage.

Affliction has fine burst and requires very little casting to remain viable even while trained. Destruction on the other hand becomes a Target Dummy as soon as you've got a <random interrupt> on you. Demonology becomes a <random critter> biting your ankles when the opposing team dispels all your dots.
    Sure UA is still a bit of a joke when it's dispelled, but having them everywhere makes it great. I do intend to be playing destruction in arena, as soon as we can get the reasonable cast time I mentioned. I intend to try it anyway...
    Destro is viable in high rated arena, in fact it was just played in the king of the hill tourney yesterday. I'm not saying its amazing, but it is viable.

Deleted
    Demonology becomes a <random critter> biting your ankles when the opposing team dispels all your dots.
    Demonology doesn't depend on those dots at all, the enemy team would be stupid for spending time dispelling them. You throw those dots around for extra fury generation and to slow people, not for doing damage. Also, you may be topping the charts as affliction by throwing dots on everyone, but you're not actually contributing much. Without haunt/MG, your dots are nearly outhealed by base regeneration.

I've tried both Destro and Demo in 2's.. destro is good against players who ignore you or let you get off those CBs, but melee just stick to you like glue especially warriors.
    with demo i've done much better against melee and casters since you're very mobile and got 3 stuns (shadowfury/axe toss/GoService Felguard) to gain some distance on melee.. I find demo less stressful since i can run around keep dots while wild imps and felguard generates enough fury for burst.

I'm really seeing the potential in Demo and having a lot of fun with it now. What do you think would be the best comp for us? I've been thinking it's still MLS/RLS/Shadowplay that is the way to go even as Demo. Any other ideas?

Deleted
    The problem I have with Demo is that I have no idea how to open and actually do damage after corruption and hand of gul'dan. SB and SF are too long cast time and I have no fury to start with

Imps+Grimoire of service+dots+fel flame spam. can build up a bit of fury ... if you can survive that time .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhit21 View Post
    The problem I have with Demo is that I have no idea how to open and actually do damage after corruption and hand of gul'dan. SB and SF are too long cast time and I have no fury to start with
    If you can't SB and have no procs for SF safely, either fel flame to the face (it's instant, costs a lot of mana but gets the job done perfectly) or with many targets hellfire is a huge boost to fury
    Guatama - Enhancement

Demo is so much fun when there is no resil involved. At 90 they are still good though.

I actually had to double-check your post's date cause for a moment i thought this was a Necro'ed thread...

Dude, this is not cataclysm no more. Basically the current situation is exactly the opposite of everything you just wrote:
    1) Aff is downright terrible in PvP because (A) it relies on a channel, (B) on a single school of magic and (C) Dots are now too weak to pressure healers by multi-doting. It has less burst then either destro or demo and less survivability as well.
    2) Demo does not rely on DoTs. Doom is great for damage, but thats not where most of it comes from. It is a burst spec, who's goal is to survive until it has fury and then unload that fury into someone. Dots here are complementary, not fundamental. Demo has our highest overall damage in PvP by a fair margin, and is extremely far from a critter. Meta burst is the only sustainable single target high damage burst in the game. The spec also barely needs to cast at all.
    3) Destro has difficulty casting while under pressure, however it is still our best bet in competitive gameplay due to (A) immense burst capabilities and (B) Cleaving pressure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikijih View Post
    2) Demo does not rely on DoTs. Doom is great for damage, but thats not where most of it comes from. It is a burst spec, who's goal is to survive until it has fury and then unload that fury into someone. Dots here are complementary, not fundamental. Demo has our highest overall damage in PvP by a fair margin, and is extremely far from a critter. Meta burst is the only sustainable single target high damage burst in the game. The spec also barely needs to cast at all.
    Agree demo doesn't rely on it's dots and has amazing burst based on Touch of Chaos and Chaos Wave
    Guatama - Enhancement