Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    pve cant really complain. I am sure that if the damage is too low blizz will buff monks, but mechanic wise I enjoy monks so far. Some complaints about FoF-perhaps a glyph to take out the cleave portion? but again pve i am happy.

PVP is another story but pvp as a whole is a bit funky so eh...

With the lack of burst with so many fights we are moving in its hard to have monks at the top 10 as dps. According to simulationcraft we are 16th-18th damage spec.

Hopefully they will add some sort of burst to the class at a later date.

Playing as an spriest I find monks pretty easy to dispatch in PVP. Much easier than warriors.

We are as durable as a rogue with no CDs. Hardest hitting ability does 60k while most other classes are swinging abilities that do upwards of 150k without 8 second cool down. Touch of karma no longer levels people once resil gets involved because it double dips. I'm not sure where monks are supposed to fit in with pvp because they are laughable at applying pressure, utility is lacking, and survivability isn't great. They are a work in progress so blizzard might have them sorted out in a couple patches.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    I've not heard anything really negative about the class at least PvE wise. A bit in PvP, but honestly everyone whines about that stuff. No one is satisfied with PvP in general.
    so true, people forget how hard it is to balance so many different things for pvp gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    I find WW to be lacking in general. It just feels overly constrained to me, in PvE and PvP.

Brewmaster, however, is just truckloads of fun, all day every day.
    Yeeeeeep.

Go Brewmaster, with Mistweaver OS. Monks in general as they stand seem like they are tuned more for PvE encounters.

WindWalker is gimped for a reason IMHO. Leaving the spec lackluster, and low'ish on the DPS meters makes players who would be keen on trying out the new class pick Tanking or Healing over DPS, filling roles that otherwise are shorter in supply than another Melee D

Deleted
    I see monks as a class with 2 end game specs and windwalker for leveling,
    The flow of WW feels awkward for raiding and pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstalkerr View Post
    So i lvled my monk to lvl 12 and i'm enjoying it a lot but my motivation decreased immensly when i hear all the QQ how WW sucks in pvp. I am both a PVP and PVE'er and I will probably be WW/BM in pve and WW in pvp. Are monks really that bad? I like to do bgs and end up at the top of the ladder if i feel i did awesome. I like some nice damage but no glass cannon. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
    Monks are not OP class like DK was in the start of the WotLK. I think that most of the complains are from people who expected that. Keep in mind that players didn't have much time to learn to play new class, develop strategies, etc. Overall monk have nice mechanics without visible issues. Balancing may not be perfect but if there are big problems, they will be fixed for sure.

I play mistweaver monk and I really like it. It looks a bit OP in PvE (though many heals were nerfed) and I feel fine in PvP. Don't involved in PvP that much. WW is my offspec and it's really nice at 90. There might be problems with burst, but it's mostly related to arenas, in BG you should be fine.

---------- Post added 2012-10-23 at 09:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by morbidjbyrd View Post
    That said, the sad thing is that there really isn't any instance in which WW are actually great. They have no niche.
    WW strengths are huge AOE (I didn't saw class who can do comparable AOE when there are a lot of targets. I regularly do more dps in AOE in heal spec, WW have just giant aoe, and it don't need any procs or time, it's just rising sun kick and AOE AOE AOE AOE). Another strength is there are no debuffs to apply so switches cost exactly 0 dps loss. Another strength is WW can deliver good burst on regular intervals. Another strength is mobility, with flying and rolling you can have very high uptime compared to other melees, and if you'r good at switching and do this with low energy, you won't loose any resources and just few seconds of autoattacks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    Monks are not OP class like DK was in the start of the WotLK. I think that most of the complains are from people who expected that. Keep in mind that players didn't have much time to learn to play new class, develop strategies, etc. Overall monk have nice mechanics without visible issues. Balancing may not be perfect but if there are big problems, they will be fixed for sure.

I play mistweaver monk and I really like it. It looks a bit OP in PvE (though many heals were nerfed) and I feel fine in PvP. Don't involved in PvP that much. WW is my offspec and it's really nice at 90. There might be problems with burst, but it's mostly related to arenas, in BG you should be fine.

---------- Post added 2012-10-23 at 09:10 AM ----------

WW strengths are huge AOE (I didn't saw class who can do comparable AOE when there are a lot of targets. I regularly do more dps in AOE in heal spec, WW have just giant aoe, and it don't need any procs or time, it's just rising sun kick and AOE AOE AOE AOE). Another strength is there are no debuffs to apply so switches cost exactly 0 dps loss. Another strength is WW can deliver good burst on regular intervals. Another strength is mobility, with flying and rolling you can have very high uptime compared to other melees, and if you'r good at switching and do this with low energy, you won't loose any resources and just few seconds of autoattacks.
    I think surv hunter with multishot and thrill does more aoe. same goes for fdk with howling blast

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the0o View Post

TOK is your ultimate ability in PVP IMO. Throw it on a player and watch them beat themselves to death. I works wonders with you are low on HP, and let that warrior spam execute on himself
    This is true. ToK is by far one of the best defensive CDs in the game... at the moment.

The Monk is a new class and most people don't even know about this ability, it is why it's so effective. I wonder how long it'll take for PvPers to realize that they can simply CC us and/or escape/LoS and/or stop attacking us and cut down on it's effectiveness by half.

In fact, I have yet to see a single PvP situation where I used this on a guy and he stopped attacking me. So far they have all continued to attack me and kill themselves on me. A simple addon that warns them when they have ToK will pretty much ruin it for us.

Smart players will just save their CCs for when we ToK and wait it out. And thanks to our ZERO ways to break stuns/fear/incapicitate/sheep/freeze/etc we'll be forced to sit there and take it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-23 at 07:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze148 View Post
    Yeeeeeep.

Go Brewmaster, with Mistweaver OS. Monks in general as they stand seem like they are tuned more for PvE encounters.

WindWalker is gimped for a reason IMHO. Leaving the spec lackluster, and low'ish on the DPS meters makes players who would be keen on trying out the new class pick Tanking or Healing over DPS, filling roles that otherwise are shorter in supply than another Melee D
    I will switch to this when I don't have to farm dailies any more. Sucks doing it on a healer or tank spec, no where near as fast.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    I will switch to this when I don't have to farm dailies any more. Sucks doing it on a healer or tank spec, no where near as fast.
    Eh, fair enough i guess. i levelled my Monk, and do the dailies all with Brewmaster as my active "DPS" spec.

I find i prefer as a tank spec to grab a truckload of mobs and aoe'ing them down is far more effective for me personally than single or two target dps'ing.

I do however want to try out Windwalker in PvP. since the gear is so similar to BM, i might give it a go tonight and see if i like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    Last but not least, make Healing Sphere worth using. It currently costs 60 (SIXTY!) energy to summon ONE orb that heals for less than 20k. That's 60% of our resources for something that heals for about 2 DoT ticks... Either decrease it to something like 20 energy or double the healing it does.
    It's pretty good to place beneath Transcendence so you get a little heal when you port to it, but with the update showing for 5.1 - reducing its duration from 2 minutes to 10 seconds - that strategy is getting blatantly killed. That's really the only reason I can think of why Blizzard would do this.
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.

WW DPS seems to be pretty good, but there's almost no burst. If you really feel the need to have some kind of burst, there's Touch of Death at the end of a fight and Rising Sun Kicks if they crit. Sustained is good though, as long as you don't forget that Tiger Palm is worthless if you're at 3 stacks and over 5 seconds left.

PvE, monk dps is fairly okai i can keep up with most people and/or beat them in a random dungeon with 463 weapons and some crafted epic parts, my main issue with WW DPS is the fact that we have a longer build up on our skills then any other class, get 3 chi, (1 gcd) - get 3x tiger palm off (3x gcd) - get 2x chi for rising sun kick (1 gcd) THEN we can start using our black out and normal rotation, it's too long tiger palm should just be built into jab and make jab as a whole more useful imo.

PvP, BG's we can pretty much go toe to toe with anyone and come out on top, arena however is a totally different beast all together WW's get either
    1) ignored / they take down healers
    2) bursted down and trained and you end up not being able to do shit.

The fact that we have no reliable gap closer (roll sucks balls it can be interrupted mid roll and you can overshoot all the time, flying serpent is no better get rooted mid flight you're fucked)

from my point of view blizzard did not design WW's with PvP in mind at all
    Oh hi

Quote Originally Posted by Nzo View Post
    from my point of view blizzard did not design WW's with PvP in mind at all
    Yeah thats my view on the state of things also. ALOT and i mean alot of testing in PvE environments, we have so many nifty tricks that are game changers for alot of cases in PvE, but PvP i feel like the class is still underdeveloped. maybe this will change with time

Quote Originally Posted by Taiknee View Post
    It's pretty good to place beneath Transcendence so you get a little heal when you port to it, but with the update showing for 5.1 - reducing its duration from 2 minutes to 10 seconds - that strategy is getting blatantly killed. That's really the only reason I can think of why Blizzard would do this.
    God damn... 10 seconds? Is this just for dps/tanks?
    What about that glyph?

Quote Originally Posted by morbidjbyrd View Post
    WW is in the dead middle of the DPS boards atm really.
    So don't expect to be topping meters if you raid with people of comparable skill.

That said, the sad thing is that there really isn't any instance in which WW are actually great. They have no niche.
    Heh. Amusing. Play the class before commenting next time please.

I, like you OP, heard terrible things about WW. I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by how it performs though. The biggest thing about WW is it's easy to fuck up your dps if you don't do it right. But done right? Well, I've several ranks on WOL for dps, so there's that. Live > sims any day of the week.

WW also has 8 metric fucktons of survivability. Need to move out of something? Roll or flying serpent kick, or hell, transcendance transfer. Incoming raid damage? Pop your tier 3 talent (assuming you weren't silly enough to choose chi burst) and your choice of touch of karma, fortifying brew, or diffuse magic/equivalent talent. Hell, you can even help the raid out with zen meditation.

Can't get to the boss for whatever reason? Reasonable range DPS with spinning fire blossom and crackling jade lightning.

Also, Zen Cloud is hilarious for your downtime farming/questing/fishing. I was nervous as hell about rerolling, but I'm happy with what I've got. and BM is an interesting tank, which is a definite bonus for me.

PVP I couldn't care less about, so I've nothing for you there.