Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Not so sure about that.
    Prohibition in the US actually worked as intended. It lowered alcohol consumption with something like 30-50 % and it curbed alcohol related deaths and arrests.

You dont have to agree with it but thats what it did.
    Now you're just talking out of your ass. First off, you can't claim that it worked as intended even if everyone stopped drinking but the adverse effects crippled the rest of society. Second, people only stopped drinking until the market (black market in this case) had time to adjust. The cost of alcohol spiked through the roof, alcohol related deaths remained unchanged, alcohol consumtion relatively unchanged and crime spiked.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w3675.pdf?new_window=1

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 01:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Its like saying that hard drugs should be legal because then we wouldnt see people like Pablo Escobar...
    If hard drugs were legal, there would be much fewer sources of easy criminal money. Additionally, if "pure" drugs like cocaine were legal, there would be little demand for the more harmful variants or harmful drugs. Crack, Crystal meth, etc, all redundant. Why? Well because the only reason they are consumed today is because the "pure" stuff is so expensive. With legalization would come quality, safety and lower prices.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2012-10-24 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Now you're just talking out of your ass. First off, you can't claim that it worked as intended even if everyone stopped drinking but the adverse effects crippled the rest of society. Second, people only stopped drinking until the market (black market in this case) had time to adjust. The cost of alcohol spiked through the roof, alcohol related deaths remained unchanged, alcohol consumtion relatively unchanged and crime spiked.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w3675.pdf?new_window=1
    You link a page and say that alcohol consumption remain unchanged - yet it the link states that it fell to 30 % and in the late stages and immediately after prohibition it was at 70 %. I wouldn't call 30 percentage points "relatively unchanged".

The purpose of prohibition was to limit alcohol consumption and it did so - the adverse affects are numerous and far outweigh the supposed benefits in my opinion - i do like alcohol - but that is irrelevant to the fact that it did in fact reduce the amount of drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Counter argument (without the condescending "now you're just talking out of your ass" bullshit).

Interesting read on the prohibition of alcohol. It's definitely worth certain considerations when thinking about legalizing all recreational drugs, but ultimately I think the benefits of legalization still outweigh the costs. As it was with alcohol, so is it with hard drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    Interesting read on the prohibition of alcohol. It's definitely worth certain considerations when thinking about legalizing all recreational drugs, but ultimately I think the benefits of legalization still outweigh the costs. As it was with alcohol, so is it with hard drugs.
    What about you get into drugs with addictive indexes significantly higher than that of alcohol? Cocaine is somewhere around 90%

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    How does a religion become recognized by the government, anyway? I've been spreading the word of the God Emperor for years and I still haven't gotten tax exemption >=(
    The government cannot question the validity of your religion. They can only question whether you truly hold the belief. Tax exemption, however, only applies to organizations that form for the purpose of religious worship. If you created a church of the God Emperor and truly held the belief, collected donations, and preached the gospel, you would qualify for tax exemption.

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 01:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    What's wrong with a person getting a doctor's prescription for Marijuana for headaches?
    My dad, a neurologist in CT, is getting tons of patients coming in with minor headaches asking for Marijuana. That is what is wrong with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    The government cannot question the validity of your religion. They can only question whether you truly hold the belief. Tax exemption, however, only applies to organizations that form for the purpose of religious worship. If you created a church of the God Emperor and truly held the belief, collected donations, and preached the gospel, you would qualify for tax exemption.
    Sweet. Anybody want to join the First Church of Sigmar?

10+ Year Old Account
    My dad, a neurologist in CT, is getting tons of patients coming in with minor headaches asking for Marijuana. That is what is wrong with it.
    What does your dad do when this happens? There is nothing wrong with them seeking pot, your dad does get paid for the visit. It is only wrong if your dad prescribes it, without legitimate claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    What does your dad do when this happens? There is nothing wrong with them seeking pot, your dad does get paid for the visit. It is only wrong if your dad prescribes it, without legitimate claim.
    My dad is one of the most highly sought after neurologists in CT. It is hard to get an appointment with him. People who are there seeking drugs waste his time and risk the health of others who could use his services. He informs the patients that he does not prescribe MJ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Sweet. Anybody want to join the First Church of Sigmar?
    I'll join the Red God's faith, thanks.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

My dad is one of the most highly sought after neurologists in CT. It is hard to get an appointment with him. People who are there seeking drugs waste his time and risk the health of others who could use his services. He informs the patients that he does not prescribe MJ.
    Therefore it should be legalized.

(Finished that line of thought for you.)

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

There's nothing really wrong with legalizing weed. The stuff isn't particularly dangerous by the standards for danger we have set. I don't think hard drugs should be legalized but we need to stop treating addicts like criminals first and more like people with a serious mental disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    There's nothing really wrong with legalizing weed.
    As long as the pizza delivery guy isn't smoking it...

oh wait, I forgot the phone number for...

Wait, why did I need this phone?

Uhh. Cartoon Network. Score!

(It goes something like that).

The Democrat party is under so much corruption that even they are falling apart. It won't be long before we have Libertarian Party vs Republican Party. We will nolonger have to choose between an evil and a party that is ok. I am glad that US is moving away from the radical left that most of the EU follow today. Free market driven economy works. IT IS the best system we have today. sorry but it is true. LET people decide NOT government.

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 03:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    As long as the pizza delivery guy isn't smoking it...

oh wait, I forgot the phone number for...

Wait, why did I need this phone?

Uhh. Cartoon Network. Score!

(It goes something like that).
    Yeah, im sure you would LOVE to legalize weed, yea sure, let our children become addicted to it. I DON'T CARE about the silly argument that no one has died from it. the problem with even decriminalizing it is that people will get bad habits. Please stop listening to propaganda which distorts facts. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalistchampion View Post
    The Democrat party is under so much corruption that even they are falling apart. It won't be long before we have Libertarian Party vs Republican Party. We will nolonger have to choose between an evil and a party that is ok. I am glad that US is moving away from the radical left that most of the EU follow today. Free market driven economy works. IT IS the best system we have today. sorry but it is true. LET people decide NOT government.
    Again, rhetoric without any sources. If you are going to try to debate this here, you will need sources to back up your claims. Specifically that 'The Democrat Party is under so much corruption that even they are falling apart', and 'Free market driven economy works'.

Yeah, im sure you would LOVE to legalize weed, yea sure, let our children become addicted to it. I DON'T CARE about the silly argument that no one has died from it. the problem with even decriminalizing it is that people will get bad habits. Please stop listening to propaganda which distorts facts. Thanks.
    I'm not ashamed to admit that I was at one time a cocaine and meth addict. I kicked that on my own. Because I wanted to. The only reason I even came into contact with those drugs was because I had to deal with shady people who were selling me pot. If pot had been legal, I never would have gone that far.

Just saying.

10+ Year Old Account

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 03:37 AM ----------

Troll account seems trollish.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Again, rhetoric without any sources. If you are going to try to debate this here, you will need sources to back up your claims. Specifically that 'The Democrat Party is under so much corruption that even they are falling apart', and 'Free market driven economy works'.
    How about you bring up some of your sources to refute mines then?
    Because it is pretty clear that you are being hypocritical by accusing me for lieing when yourself is not even bring up any links.

Please no government funded sources, there is enough government corruption today, middle east wars thanks to Obama, forcing innocent citizens to buy into healthcare that they cannot afford etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't the GOP burn the libertarian party with how poorly they treated Ron Paul during the RNC? If anything I would expect the GOP to lose momentum if Obama wins the election.

And Cap, when a person makes a claim and somebody challenges it, the burden of proof falls on the one making the initial positive claim, which would be you in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Didn't the GOP burn the libertarian party with how poorly they treated Ron Paul during the RNC? If anything I would expect the GOP to lose momentum if Obama wins the election.

And Cap, when a person makes a claim and somebody challenges it, the burden of proof falls on the one making the initial positive claim, which would be you in this case.
    We embraced the libertarian party since they stood for free markets. And no I liked Ron Paul, just not as much as the other candidates because Ron Paul wants to cut defense spending when we are under threat of several other countries. If we had not cut defense spending 9-11 would never happen.