Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Thumbs up Let's talk Allod's Online. (lengthy post)

I know the bad rep that Allod's Online has. Please no trolling, or bashing.

-I heard all the rumors of it being Pay2Win, and yes, this used to be true. No longer. The cash shop now works more akin to League of Legends cash shop. You can either "grind" (PLAY!) for in-game gold, or go the casual way and pay for Potatoes (think Riot Points.) You can't outright buy gold. HOWEVER, you cannot buy gear, or make your character inherently more powerful than a player who decides to not use the cash shop. They abandoned this philosophy. You can even earn crystals from events now to trade for items in the cash shop! Events are world events and free and available to all Allod's players.

-I went into the game with the same beliefs as everyone; believing it to be a pay2win game that I had no hope in. I was pleasantly proven wrong. Playing the game as it's meant to be played reaps you 99% of the content (outside of bank/bag space,) the cash shop is just there for players who want to zoom to level cap and trick out their character aesthetically, not stat/gear wise (it's just not possible through the cash shop anymore.)

Players can no longer "pay2win", the only purchasable advantage is leveling XP/Skill up boosts to level your character or a profession. All this can be achieved the classic way through gameplay, however. At the end of the day it all comes down to gearing your character to the relative tier cap and every player has to take the same route for that.

I've got a little experience under my belt and after talking to level capped players this is what I learned:

There are three things after playing awhile you MAY find yourself wanting to buy. This being mounts, bank space, and costumes (plus vanity items.)

-Buying mounts is almost akin to LoL's skin/champ buying system. You don't necessarily need to buy them as you can get temporary ones at random times through bags (each level you are sent a bag,) or get a permanent mount from an event (for example it's Halloween themed event right now) and never pay a dime. These event mounts are sent to any player who logs in during an event and is permanent.

-Like Guild Wars 2, bag/bank space has to be purchased (as far as my knowledge goes) but if you manage the space that you have by default, it's not too difficult to progress with the limited space before wanting to purchase (I have yet to spend any real $.) THIS MAY BE the only thing you will spend money on (I'm unsure if any bosses or events give out bags - I'm sure they do and so the limited capacity may only be relative to banks.)

-There are many costumes available through events and the cash shop that are available to your specific class. How these work is that they "mask" your stat based gear and give your character a unique themed out look. Kind of like transmorging, but pre-made and unique.

These are just the big 3.

-It used to be that you had to buy your runes if you wanted an edge, but they have abandoned this. You can now buy runes with in-game gold that you earn through playing, and they work as a gold sink (they're sort of like gems/glyphs.)

If you have found yourself using real money to purchase things in GW2, WoW, and especially LoL, you'll probably eventually find yourself spending $10 here or there while playing Allod's. But it isn't forced upon you. I've yet to do so and am completely content and do not feel hindered.

Players that choose to pay are only benefited in the following ways:
    Quicker access to runes (instead of earning in-game gold to buy them), a larger quest log, experience boosts (a buff that works like looms or the xp buffs you get in WoW... all players get this buff randomly though when playing as they are randomly sent (not always) in the chest you receive at each level up), bag/bank space, costumes, pets, vanity items such as swapping a spell from a different class into your spell set (have to be the same archetype, though), and profession skill up boosts. The cash system works like Riot Points, in Allod's they're called Potato coins. There is no subscription based payments. Things like buffs to xp, learning crafting point xp boosts, and some other vanity items have limited duration, they expire.

Also, during in-game events you can earn crystals that you can trade in for items in the item shop, bypassing the need to spend $ for items in the shop. However, events are not always happening.

Now that the cash shopped has been addressed, let's talk the game itself.

Allod's is GORGEOUS.
    Awesome art style, and character models, and world environments. Seriously. Extremely detailed. I love love the look of this game. It's majestic, mature, and has a great tone. I know people initially feel it's a WoW clone (style wise) but after spending hours in the game you really begin to identify it's uniqueness art wise. Especially after being in the game for a week straight and then popping into WoW. Stark difference. Just check out these screenies taken by players here: http://allods.wikia.com/wiki/Special:NewFiles

A great showcase video: http://youtu.be/8FdPykmWwZs

There are 2 factions:
    The League and Empire, and 9 archetypes (classes.) (Each race has a different class name/style for each archetype, though mechanically they're the same... e.g. a Kanian Druid is the same thing as an Orc Shaman, both being under the archetype of Warden, but they have different aesthetics and spell names/graphics.)

There are multiple professions.

There is end-game, and PvP.
    Allod's is geared more towards the Hardcore player, moreso than the Casual.
    The only way it's poised towards casuals is through the cash shop, though not pay2win because:
    players can earn anything in the cash shop through actually investing time in gameplay, and it doesn't take very long (i.e. it's not a drawn out grindfest.) There are raids, and outdoor raid bosses as well. You are able to "solo" PvE dungeons by recruiting mercenaries, or you can always just find a group.

-Guilds are able to construct astral ships and commence in Guild vs. Guild PvP battles, a lot of the time spontaneously:
    They traverse the astral and explore the world of Allod's. As a guild member you can help maintain, upgrade, partake in PvP, and have unique crew roles for the ship that your guild owns. It's really rewarding and immerses you into the world. Not to mention bringing the guild together. http://allods.wikia.com/wiki/Astral_Ships
    Astral Ship PvP battle (guild vs. guild battles) http://youtu.be/3LjrKFr7DRo | http://youtu.be/_k5pi3mrEIc

Each town / major settlement has a portal:
    That will portal you to any city/town/settlement. (Much like flightpaths, but instant.)
    There are PvP contested zones and Empire and or League dedicated zones (just like in WoW.) (PvE servers do exist)

Allod's is based on an established Russian RPG franchise,
    titled Rage of Mages. Look into these if you'd like to get into the lore of Allod's before jumping into the MMO. They're older games, but still pretty fun.

I'll answer any questions you guys may have. If you feel burned out with WoW, GW2, or any other P2P or P2B MMO's, give Allod's a try. I really, really recommend it. I've only listed things that I enjoy about the game, as there is much more to do than I have mentioned here.

I am level 21 (cap is 51), on the League side, and on the server Avilon. My name is Rexxarr.

I've only touched on the basics, explore the Wiki for more in depth info:

http://allods.wikia.com/wiki/Allods_Wiki (fan)
    http://allods-wiki.gpotato.com/index.php/Main_Page (Official Wiki)

Great unbiased review: http://youtu.be/yiU0uifAkJI
    Last edited by Syroco; 2012-10-26 at 06:38 PM.

Honestly, the leveling in Allods felt pretty damn dull when I was trying it out, pretty much just kill/gather x. Also graphics weren't impressive at all.
    Last edited by Grable; 2012-10-26 at 08:44 AM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Honestly, the leveling in Allods felt pretty damn dull when I was trying it out, pretty much just kill/gather x. Also graphics weren't impressive at all.
    I just took this. http://i.imgur.com/GJQXG.jpg

yeah, there's .jpg fuzz but this is on my laptop which is just some factory Lenovo. That's my character in the midground among the trees.

They're not WOWOMFG graphics, but they are pretty damn good. Especially on high res, high end machines. They are much more detailed, and there is much more attention to detail, than even in MoP.

And yeah, the questing is definitely not ala SWTOR or GW2, but if you could handle MoP leveling you can definitely handle Allod's.
    Last edited by Syroco; 2012-10-26 at 08:53 AM.

How long does it take to reach level cap?
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    How long does it take to reach level cap?
    I'd say along the lines of how WoW Vanilla was. 1-51.

edit: keep in mind this isn't considering the XP buffs you can randomly get.

At the time when I played Allods I thought the game had some awesome systems! Like the Paladin canon system, the ruby system for talents, that sort of void space thingy [allods] or spell reservation mechanics.

The problems were 2 fold but huge deal breakers:

1. Questing was a huge grind. Very receptive, low drop rates for a lot of items, unclear direction at times. Just a terrible slog made worse by the fact the zone's quest often left you under leveled.

2. The cash shop at the time was straight up 100% exploitative. I was around long enough for the revision to the incense, cursed armor and so on. It didn't help. The whole thing was designed to push their cash shop. The game was a major pain in the ass without the cash shop- a kind of soft gating.

Its a shame really. Allods had a pleasing style, interesting mechanics and some really neat core & supporting systems.

Since that last patch 2.0 or whatever, I haven't been back. Gpotato are also disgusting.

You don't sound like a paid marketer! Not at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

I added some videos.

Review (keep in mind he did not dwell into end-game pvp/pve):
    http://youtu.be/yiU0uifAkJI

Astral ship guild vs. guild pvp:
    http://youtu.be/3LjrKFr7DRo
    http://youtu.be/_k5pi3mrEIc

Showcase video:
    http://youtu.be/8FdPykmWwZs

edit:
    Ha, right. To enjoy a good F2P game and to tout it as a game others should play, I just have to be paid. Sigh.

---------- Post added 2012-10-26 at 09:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    At the time when I played Allods I thought the game had some awesome systems! Like the Paladin canon system, the ruby system for talents, that sort of void space thingy [allods] or spell reservation mechanics.

The problems were 2 fold but huge deal breakers:

1. Questing was a huge grind. Very receptive, low drop rates for a lot of items, unclear direction at times. Just a terrible slog made worse by the fact the zone's quest often left you under leveled.

2. The cash shop at the time was straight up 100% exploitative. I was around long enough for the revision to the incense, cursed armor and so on. It didn't help. The whole thing was designed to push their cash shop. The game was a major pain in the ass without the cash shop- a kind of soft gating.

Its a shame really. Allods had a pleasing style, interesting mechanics and some really neat core & supporting systems.

Since that last patch 2.0 or whatever, I haven't been back. Gpotato are also disgusting.

Patch 3.0 changed the gem/rune system (purchasable with in-game gold,) added a new class, and allows crystals you earn through events to be traded for items in the item shop. A new PVP zone, and raid. Among a lot of other things. They're trying really hard, and it's showing.
    Last edited by Syroco; 2012-10-26 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yalingo View Post
    First thought as well. Every word of your post absolutely SCREAMS this.

One thing I really think you should change about your post as it's a bit contradictory.
    There is no advantage anymore for those who choose to pay, the only "advantage" being less time to develop your character.
    That right there is a advantage.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    First thought as well. Every word of your post absolutely SCREAMS this.

One thing I really think you should change about your post as it's a bit contradictory.

That right there is a advantage.
    Sure, I just need to change the wording of that sentence as it's not really clear what I meant.

edit: I promise I am not paid. I just really believe in this game and I feel others should know about it since it has undergone vast changes to it's cash shop system (the #1 gripe players had with the game.)

I went into the game with the same beliefs, believing it to be a pay2win game that I had no hope in. I was pleasantly proven wrong. Playing the game as it's meant to be played reaps you 99% of the content (outside of bank/bag space,) the cash shop is just there for players who want to zoom to level cap and trick out their character aesthetically, not stat/gear wise (is impossible.)
    Last edited by Syroco; 2012-10-26 at 09:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syroco View Post
    Yeah, you took that... I just watched a gameplay video and the combat? It's so extremely boring....

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Yeah, you took that... I just watched a gameplay video and the combat? It's so extremely boring....
    Took another pic with UI shown and my character closer. (Tried to get another player to take a shot with me but he went out into the forest.)

http://i.imgur.com/TjPiI.jpg

Patch 3.0 changed the gem/rune system (purchasable with in-game gold,) added a new class, and allows crystals you earn through events to be traded for items in the item shop. A new PVP zone, and raid. Among a lot of other things. They're trying really hard, and it's showing.
    I am aware of the changes. I try to keep abreast of MMOs. Even if I don't play them actively or at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am aware of the changes. I try to keep abreast of MMOs. Even if I don't play them actively or at all.
    Ah, I see. I thought you were only up to date in regards to patch 2.0 and unaware of 3.0

I just re-read your post and to address the questing bit, yeah the quests are more classical MMO quests, though the ball-of-yarn helps (leads you to objective for those unaware.) However, I haven't experienced (yet) a zone leaving me underleveld, I've generally been 2-4 levels higher than recommended for every zone I entered after leaving Lightwood. I also make sure I complete every quest available in the zone at my level range. Might change though once I leave Darkwater & Tenebra and head into the Holy Lands. I should be in Tenebra right now, being level 21. But I just started Darkwater.

It's pay to win if you count the ruby and extra earring slot strongboxes. I personally enjoyed the game when I played it. Unfortunately the game isn't compatible with webroot and crashes a few minutes after I log in. If that was ever fixed I'd play it again. Arisen ftw

Deleted
    I'd like to second the OP, the game has improved a lot and is one of the actually worthwhile F2P MMORPGs out there.

Infact, I'm seriously considering returning given that I'm looking for a F2P MMO to play on the side. It's also a very interesting game when it comes to setting, environments and art style.

Here's some eye candy from the game.

And people, come on, when you're a dedicated fan you want to spread the word about the stuff you like.

EDIT: Argh, I DO HATE the wand casting animations that they have implemented though. ABSOLUTELY HATE THEM.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I played the open beta. I might give this another look.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account
    i have never played this game, as a matter of fact, till reading this thread i've never even heard of it. But from what i've gathered from Screen Shots, it looks exactly the same as WoW. The sky, trees and buildings, also the Character shown on the horse. When i get home i may watch the videos and see what the animation is like. If it is like WoW, i may not give it a shot. i do not wish to relive that experience lol.

As long as the animation is better, and if it has some unique classes, i'd give it a shot. Does there happen to be a trail version or Demo one could download? I always like to give something a fair shot before writing it off as a piss poor game. (not saying i expect it to be.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    , it looks exactly the same as WoW. The sky, trees and buildings, also the Character shown on the horse.
    You don't have a keen eye I guess.

If anything, it resembles Warhammer Online.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://i.imgur.com/TjPiI.jpg

^ Looks like it was taken straight from WoW.

Like i said though, i haven't watched any of the videos yet since i'm at work. But the Pictures do not do it justice (i hope) Animation and Real time camera views make a better impression that a setup picture.
    Last edited by Kathandira; 2012-10-26 at 04:13 PM.