Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Want to free run, but I am overweight

Okay so I have tried this before in my life, a year or 2 ago, I found it quite fun even if I was terrible at it.

The thing is I am 110 kg at 1,75/1,76 cm or 5,9.

Don't worry, I am really not THAT fat, I have been lifting for 3 years now with pretty good gains. (I do free weight exercises with 16kg/18kg) And I am pretty muscular and strong because of that too.

But I want to do it, I am really not that worried about knee injuries and the like, but I just want to climb/jump etc...

So lose weight first? Or can I just do it while practicing?

I guess just start slow, get in shape, run long distances and be careful. You'll lose weight fast and you'll get a feeling for what you can and can't do.
    Pawzz, ArenaJunkies

Lifting is only half of the battle. You need a proper nutritional diet to go along with it. To lose weight you basically want a negative net calories in the day. So if by your daily work/workout routine you burn 2 thousand calories, you need to eat only 1,500. I'm not sure how popular basketball is in the Netherlands, but in a full court 5v5 game for 30 minutes you can burn more than 500 calories. Swimming is also good as it can be close to a full body workout. I'm the opposite of you, hard gainer with ~3-4% body fat so I have to eat around 4,500 calories on training days just so I can gain 1-2 pounds a month.

I'd say do what feels best for you. It's good you are already lifting, so maybe step that up a bit and then work on the free running more.
    Jahlove, Troll Druid of <Huge in Japan>
    Armory | JahUI Download | Raid Livestream | Youtube

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Do you REALLY want advice and are you willing to read up on it and consider ideas that seem to go radically against what we are told for years about the "Calories in vs calorie out" myths that also ppl on this forum will inevitably present?

http://fourhourbody.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_We_...to_Do_About_It

I lost 13 kgs in a month with these and it is literally impossible if you do the "calorie in vs calorie out" maths. 13 kgs of fat is over 90 000 calories. No way you save that in a month. Yet..that is what I lost and I wasn't even obese. 1,89m. From 110 kilos to 85 kilos in 3 months. 13 kilos in the first, 8 in the second, 4 in the third.

Now you can believe that or not - and it isn't easy because it requires you to reject sugar, softdrinks and everything bread / grain related. And more...
    You mean the Paleo/Atkins diet?

I can't, I can't afford that.

Deleted
    Afford? It isn't expensive? Or do you mean you cannot live without carbs or on low carbs? In that case you can only listen to the others and hope it helps you. Good luck.
    Constantly eating meat is expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    You can avoid sugars and grains without eating meat. Vegetarian celiacs do it their whole lives.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

Do you REALLY want advice and are you willing to read up on it and consider ideas that seem to go radically against what we are told for years about the "Calories in vs calorie out" myths that also ppl on this forum will inevitably present?

http://fourhourbody.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_We_...to_Do_About_It

I lost 13 kgs in a month with these and it is literally impossible if you do the "calorie in vs calorie out" maths. 13 kgs of fat is over 90 000 calories. No way you save that in a month. Yet..that is what I lost and I wasn't even obese. 1,89m. From 110 kilos to 85 kilos in 3 months. 13 kilos in the first, 8 in the second, 4 in the third.

Now you can believe that or not - and it isn't easy because it requires you to reject sugar, softdrinks and everything bread / grain related. And more...
    Sigh, stop being so focused on the weight loss. I can lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks to meet a weight class requirement. I gain it back within 2 days once I start eating normally. Ketonic diets do not create permanent loss of weight because you lose mostly water weight. You do not lost fat faster on a ketonic diet unless it allows you to eat less than a normal diet due to your own physiology.

Hey Kingler
    I didn't catch where you said you live... though here in the states, you could do something like this:

1. TwinLab Amino Fuel (the "Mass" formula is only available in Original flavor, and it's a bit thicker, so it's kinda hard to chug down. ) This is the product, but look for the 32oz sizes from somewhere else: http://www.twinlab.com/product/amino...ored-sweetened
    2. Solid White Albacore tuna, 12oz cans: $3-$3.50
    3. Casein Protein powder: (practically any) Gold Standard ($34/2lb) tastes good, or Vitamin Shoppe brand will occasionally give you a buy-1-get-1-half-off deal ($30each). Mix into milk (assuming you don't have a Lactose issue, or can't handle artificial sweeteners). Ref: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=VS-2259
    4. Solid meal, about 40%protein, 60%fat (like a burger with cheese in a lettuce wrap with vegetables and no bun, NO ketchup or sauces -- or a chicken salad with non-sugar dressing, no crutons or corn, etc)

Your stomach can only digest about 40g of protein per hour, so use this value to determine when you schedule your meals. One meal should be immediately following an intense work-out, and more than one hour before...
    Ex:
    7AM: When you wake up, have some fruit, nuts (like almonds), and Amino Fuel.
    9AM: A few hours later, eat half the can of tuna, and maybe 2oz of cheese, and veggies or fruit.
    Noon: Couple hours later, either have your solid meal, the other half can of tuna in the same combo, or your protein drink...
    2PM: Amino Fuel, and some nuts if you like.
    3PM: Then a few hours more, one more 'meal' (which ever you haven't yet had)
    5-7PM: Work-out
    7PM (post-workout): Last meal
    9PM (before bed): Amino Fuel

• Amino Fuel: 3 doses, 3x per day (mouthful) = 15g protein x 3 = 45g for ~$1/day
    • Albacore tuna: 2 servings, ~4-6hrs apart = 40-45g protein x2 = 80-90g for ~$3.50/day
    • Protein powder: 2 scoops per serving = 50g protein for ~$2 / day
    • Solid meal: (variable meal) = 40-60g protein for ~$5-10 / day

45g + 90g + 50g + 50g = 200g+ per day, at a cost of ~$12/day; having full meals can cost $30 or more.
    This is a diet to accompany muscle-building exercises, like weight lifting - which will also help burn body-fat, fast.
    ** Note - Don't eat anything including sugar, ANYTHING with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, or high-fructose corn-syrup. Don't eat grains, pastas, breads, or complex carbs. Fruit and vegetables are important for fructose and vitamins / minerals: Apples, citrus, broccolli, cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, and tomatoes, etc
    Spacebar spacebar spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar dark-side.

Deleted
    Just start running, you'll drop the gut and get in shape as you progress. Easy peasy

Quote Originally Posted by hythos View Post
    Hey Kingler
    I didn't catch where you said you live... though here in the states, you could do something like this:

1. TwinLab Amino Fuel (the "Mass" formula is only available in Original flavor, and it's a bit thicker, so it's kinda hard to chug down. ) This is the product, but look for the 32oz sizes from somewhere else: http://www.twinlab.com/product/amino...ored-sweetened
    3. Casein Protein powder: (practically any) Gold Standard ($34/2lb) tastes good, or Vitamin Shoppe brand will occasionally give you a buy-1-get-1-half-off deal ($30each). Mix into milk (assuming you don't have a Lactose issue, or can't handle artificial sweeteners). Ref: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=VS-2259
    4. Solid meal, about 40%protein, 60%fat (like a burger with cheese in a lettuce wrap with vegetables and no bun, NO ketchup or sauces -- or a chicken salad with non-sugar dressing, no crutons or corn, etc)

Your stomach can only digest about 40g of protein per hour, so use this value to determine when you schedule your meals. One meal should be immediately following an intense work-out, and more than one hour before...
    Ex:
    9AM: A few hours later, eat half the can of tuna, and maybe 2oz of cheese, and veggies or fruit.
    Noon: Couple hours later, either have your solid meal, the other half can of tuna in the same combo, or your protein drink...

• Amino Fuel: 3 doses, 3x per day (mouthful) = 15g protein x 3 = 45g for ~$1/day
    • Albacore tuna: 2 servings, ~4-6hrs apart = 40-45g protein x2 = 80-90g for ~$3.50/day

45g + 90g + 50g + 50g = 200g+ per day, at a cost of ~$12/day; having full meals can cost $30 or more.
    This is a diet to accompany muscle-building exercises, like weight lifting - which will also help burn body-fat, fast.
    ** Note - Don't eat anything including sugar, ANYTHING with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, or high-fructose corn-syrup. Don't eat grains, pastas, breads, or complex carbs. Fruit and vegetables are important for fructose and vitamins / minerals: Apples, citrus, broccolli, cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, and tomatoes, etc
    Do not listen to a thing this guy said. Complete horse shit.

Read the following as it is the most well informed article ive seen written: http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh...heet_%28WIP%29.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-10-23 at 05:41 PM.

You mean the Paleo/Atkins diet?

I can't, I can't afford that.
    It's not as costly as you'd think, if you were interested in it. The negatives, are that it'll make you feel a lil weak for a couple weeks, until your body normalizes.
    There are sources of good information that can both contradict and compliment, but finding the diet that works for you will require trying them...
    Spacebar spacebar spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar dark-side.

Deleted
    Back from your asian crunch . Yeah you can't be an Alpha with this " overweight "... my advice just eat some asians food. Nothing else

Visit a store which specializes in selling running shoes. ... so the staff can have clients run on the treadmill briefly while they take video of thier feet.

Shoes are the most important thing if you want to run. I don't recommend fingershoes ATM, maybe later.

Quote Originally Posted by Paraclef View Post
    Back from your asian crunch . Yeah you can't be an Alpha with this " overweight "... my advice just eat some asians food. Nothing else

Visit a store which specializes in selling running shoes. ... so the staff can have clients run on the treadmill briefly while they take video of thier feet.

Shoes are the most important thing if you want to run. I don't recommend fingershoes ATM, maybe later.
    I agree. My 1 month old snake runs around like crazy after I got her some shoes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Just start running, you'll drop the gut and get in shape as you progress. Easy peasy
    And get knee injures a month later. I wouldn't recommend starting with running to someone who is 110kgs, it is very hard on your knees. Not being worried about a highten risk of injuries is like just plain stupid imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    And get knee injures a month later. I wouldn't recommend starting with running to someone who is 110kgs, it is very hard on your knees. Not being worried about a highten risk of injuries is like just plain stupid imo.
    Nope, I have ran a lot in my life, made a damn lot attempts to lose weight.

I NEVER had ANY problems with my knees.

You are making far too much of a deal out of the weight and knees thing.

I call this Assassins Creed syndrome! This should really be a documented thing.

I want to free run too, all you need is willpower to start. I trained Karate for 2 years and i was in an awesome shape, now i am not overweight but in the last 4 years other than school and work i have been sitted playing videogames most of the time. I am really fast and i stil have some of the agility that i gained with Karate but my resistance is close to 0. I have been trying to start a better diet and get into freerunning but i do it for a week or two ( day yes, day no ) and then i just stop going...

As a previous Karate paractioner i feel desgusted with myself because of this but i think at some try i will have the willpower to keep going.

With 110kg it will be even harder for you i am afraid, but that's no reason to give up or not try. Start by running in a park, garden, some calm street, wherever you feel confartable running and find some spots to do some easy things, just to start. If you can do this for a month or two you get into it and when you start to feel more agility in you, you will start to get fun of it and it will get better and better.

Don't run too much tho, and have a day or two to rest, don't run if your muscles still hurt from the previous session.

Try to find a friend to run with you.
    Last edited by Sughs; 2012-10-24 at 12:41 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thejollypatriot View Post
    I call this Assassins Creed syndrome! This should really be a documented thing.
    Make a Wikipedia page about it, do it. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay so I have tried this before in my life, a year or 2 ago, I found it quite fun even if I was terrible at it.

The thing is I am 110 kg at 1,75/1,76 cm or 5,9.

Don't worry, I am really not THAT fat, I have been lifting for 3 years now with pretty good gains. (I do free weight exercises with 16kg/18kg) And I am pretty muscular and strong because of that too.

But I want to do it, I am really not that worried about knee injuries and the like, but I just want to climb/jump etc...

So lose weight first? Or can I just do it while practicing?
    Sorry to burst your bubble but 99% of that muscle is probably fat. Using the same weight (16/18kg is almost nothing) for 3 years probably doing some bicep curls and chest presses is going to net you no muscle or negligible muscle mass, especially considering "eating meat often is too expensive". I would first get a basic idea of diet and exercise before you start free running. Secondly I sincerely hope you're not doing free running because it looks cool, all choices out of impulse will fail.

Quote Originally Posted by hythos View Post
    Hey Kingler

Ex:

I sincerely hope you don't follow that, if you do I'm sure your broscience and misinformation has brought you 'great' gains.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abominator View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but 99% of that muscle is probably fat. Using the same weight (16/18kg is almost nothing) for 3 years probably doing some bicep curls and chest presses is going to net you no muscle or negligible muscle mass, especially considering "eating meat often is too expensive". I would first get a basic idea of diet and exercise before you start free running. Secondly I sincerely hope you're not doing free running because it looks cool, all choices out of impulse will fail.

I sincerely hope you don't follow that, if you do I'm sure your broscience and misinformation has brought you 'great' gains.
    Frankly I have found nothing but negativity and extremely light bashing in your post.

Did you really think I began at the age of the 16 with lifting 16/18kg dumbbells? I wish I could.
    I started at the age of 16 with 7/8 kg and worked my way up.

Secondly, I train everything: Pecs, biceps, triceps, shoulders, lower back, upper back, abs, deltoids. My lower body I don't train with weights because I use it for running.

Third: 16/18kg dumbbells is little? It depends what you want to do, I am certainly not aiming to be a bodybuilder. Besides, I wouldn't say 16/18kg dumbbells are little weight.

No, I want to do parkour/free running for fun, certainly not to bring out a Youtube video to look uber leet or something.

Maybe don't make assumptions right away.