Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Epics in heroics: what's the point?

When I first heard that they were going to have rare epic drops in MoP heroics I was excited. I thought, "Awesome, a reason to farm heroics besides for the obligatory VP."

Yet here I am now, VP capped for the week and thinking, "What can I do?" So I decided to queue for Scarlet Halls and Scholomance to see if I could get the caster staff and ring. I did this for a few days before wondering to myself, "Gee, I wonder what the drop-rate is on these things?"

0.2%

I'm not even in a hardcore raiding guild and yet I'm sitting pretty comfortable at 470iL and will have an epic 476iL staff from Inscription soon. Would a 476 ring be nice? Sure. But at the rate I'm getting gear through LFR, I'll have that pretty soon too. So I'm left asking myself, "What is the point of having such exceptionally rare drops for gear that you most likely won't ever need it by the time you get it, if you ever get it at all?"

I mean, a 10 or even a 5% drop I could understand. Rare, but doable. But a sub 1% drop rate just makes its entire existence pointless other than the complete fluke chance that it not only drops but that you win it on a character during the week or two duration of the character's existence that it'll actually be useful.

Am I missing the point here? I mean, this shit is rarer than the super rare mount drops. Wtf Blizz?
    Last edited by ddk; 2012-10-29 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Typo
    "Once you stop caring what an arrogant, ignorant, idiotic little twat somewhere half-way across the world in a mouldy little basement with his mother yelling down at him to get off his arse and get a job is saying on the internet, you will find an immense calm overcome you. Suddenly the world will seem a brighter place and your mood will improve immediately."

10+ Year Old Account
    the complete fluke chance that it not only drops but that you win it on a character during the week or two duration of the character's existence that it'll actually be useful.
    Answered your own question there. It's meant to be a pleasant surprise for completing the instance, at worst a carrot on a stick for the less intellectually capable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally thought it was a homage to the vanilla type of ''epic'' drops aka Runeblade of Rivendare / Darkmasters staff

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't realize the drop rates were that low. I know a few of my guildees wield epics from heroics until they get them from raids... I assumed the drop rates were pretty high that multiple people in my guild would have them without looking for them.

Every day I run Gate of the Setting Sun on the off-chance at the epic bow might drop. I'm still hoping that it will someday.

My better half also plays a Hunter and does the same thing. We call it Gate of the Bow Doesn't Drop. It's super fun.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    I personally thought it was a homage to the vanilla type of ''epic'' drops aka Runeblade of Rivendare / Darkmasters staff
    I'd beleive it. Little suprise like that is pretty nice.
    Also, like with anything, people have walked into certian instances and gotten geared almost instantly, with rare drops, and most of the time people spend many many, maany months farming for the item.

Done 22 Shado-pan Monestaries now. Nothing. Not to mention the abundance of other heroics on my Shaman and the 3 90 alts.
    It's quite ridiculous.

At least the part where you have no choice but to go on wowhead and check the droprate and go "Oh.. Fuck that shit", when it could just have a little mark in the Dungeon Journal that explains that this drop is very rare. Would've been much more pleasant imo.

I'll still continue doing it every day untill i have better though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got the epic bow from gate of the setting sun 1st run. Already replaced it with normal raid one but . So yes it did have a point to some people. It helped till i replaced it. Just because you are unlucky don't make it pointless.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    I got the epic bow from gate of the setting sun 1st run. Already replaced it with normal raid one but . So yes it did have a point to some people it helped till i replaced it. Just because you are unlucky don't make it pointless.
    Very true. I dont mind them being rare. Just the part where you dont realy realize its THAT rare untill you go onto wowhead and check it out or something.

At least it beats the crap outa the model in Wrath where everyone pretty much had full epic gear before 2 weeks had passed. I like this model.

its there as a carrot on a stick so to speak it makes you want to finish the dungeon in hope you get the sweet loot, which reminds me of something that happened 2 days ago while i was playing on a priest i haven't played since early cata i was doing vortex pinnacle and the drake of the north wind dropped from the dragon boss and i shed many manly tears of happiness since i farmed it relentlessly without luck during cata and now with account bound mounts it means i can have it on my main aswell!

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, it's whatever.

Don't count on obtaining it. As soon as it drops someone will probably roll on it just to shard it. You should be able to do fine in raids without it.

To give you something to farm.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Saw 1 staff from Scholo (6 runs or so), and 2 Jade Temple maces (3 runs or so...), but that f*** bow isn't dropping (32nd kill today, 33 soon).
    Random is random, but yeah it's so low that really you'd rather get something from raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Just because you are unlucky don't make it pointless.
    I'm not unlucky. I'm currently right smack dab in the average. YOU are simply EXTREMELY lucky. And good for you. But these items are so rare that anyone, even someone playing casually, will only have a very small window of opportunity to get one of these before it's made redundant by other avenues of gearing that are actually reliable.

And unlike the vanilla days of super rare drops, these drops won't continue to be useful or sought after for their status which again begs the question, what's the point?
    "Once you stop caring what an arrogant, ignorant, idiotic little twat somewhere half-way across the world in a mouldy little basement with his mother yelling down at him to get off his arse and get a job is saying on the internet, you will find an immense calm overcome you. Suddenly the world will seem a brighter place and your mood will improve immediately."

10+ Year Old Account
    This reminds me of the 900 troll archeology solves I did and never got Zinrokh when it was relevant at the beginning of cata.

But I got the bug mount on my FIRST and ONLY tolvir solve, so I'm not butthurt.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    0.2%
    if you are looking at wowhead's drop rate information, it is not accurate at all.
    the drop rate includes all normal and heroic kills.
    the epics never drop on normal so the rate displayed is vastly lower than the actual rate.
    the actual rates are probably 1-2%

10+ Year Old Account
    Something to farm.

Something that might be a nice surprise.

People have said those.

What hasn't really been said is that even with LFR, some people don't raid. At all. Something for them to look forward to.

Play the game. Enjoy it for what it is. There are, to my mind, far too many people who think that doing anything is entirely pointless if they don't have a good chance of getting better gear from it in a remarkably short amount of time. My advice is to not worry about it. Just relax and enjoy things.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

If they were aiming to make it just like wrath then they should have just made them 100 percent drop rate. I imagine they will soon enough and possibly nerf the item level. I'm sure there hasn't really been complaining about it since a majority of people probably have zero idea that it even exists.

Yep, I got my epic staff (fire mage) on the second run. Rolled against 2 other people (enhacement shaman and holy priest). I won and laugh over their faces, stupid ninjas.

On topic: The point is "surprise". At 2% drop you have a ~50% chance of not seeing it over 34 runs.
    Last edited by DungeonMaster; 2012-10-29 at 05:55 AM.

RNG is RNG. All 3 healers in my guild are currently using the Epic Healing Mace from (I believe?) Temple of The Jade Serpent.