Page 1 of 2
LastLast

professions for a noob player trying to make some gold please help

Sorry for a different post on a similar topic.
    I was reading over alot of the posts on here and was just getting a little overwhelmed about what I was seeing.
    I used to play when game was released and quit for a while after tbc came out.
    Recently I got back into the game since some friends where playing and rolled a new toon.
    A warlock undead to be exact.
    I completely forgot about professions and made it above level 60.
    I know I will have to go back and level everything backup but that is ok.
    I am only doing PvE no raid at the moment or alts to worry about.
    Just was wondering what professions you may recomend for getting gold.
    I know I will have artisan riding coming up at 4500 k gold and I know I won't have it by then.
    Was looking at like tailoring and possibly JC or enchanting.
    but not sure if production would make as much as a gathering profession like herbilism or mining would.

---------- Post added 2012-10-26 at 06:32 PM ----------

Forgot that I have a level 80 rouge on the same server.
    Since started on a new server I rolled a new toon and had SoR up to 80.
    With the SoR that means I have no professions since boosted from 1 and need to grind that toon up too.

Deleted
    jewelcrafting / inscription is a good moneymaker on my server mainly cuz every1 wants darkmoon cards and gems
    all other proffesions are quite mediocre money makers imo

Deleted
    For a beginner, then check the price on your AH, see what sells ay a reasonable price, but I would go for dual gathering mining and herbing. Why?
    1. Gives you experience.
    2. No real cost to level.
    3. Starts making money straight away.
    4. Its a simple strategy.

Downsides.
    1. Not as beneficial for raiding as other profs.
    2. It requires you to put time in gathering. More stuff you have to sell the more gold you will make, eventually over time.
    3. In Mop gathering outdoes a lot of professions if you actually use the profession.

When you have enough money, then you cna switch to the more profitable professions that require more investment. The point is you are 60 and almost missed the DMF money train. JC has been nerfed imo although its something you could switch into later.

i would get herbalism and inscription.

jcing is a bich to lvl up.. cuz it requires mining and a bit of blacksmithing.. inscription is much simpler if you can support it with herbalism.. plus DMF mist cards sell well. and gathering herbs is made much easier due to flying everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, here's the deal.... Don't listen to the nubs ..... j/k

But seriously. Do NOT pick a crafting profession just now.
    You have to put gold into it to level it, instead of making money. And then, before you even pick a prof. consider 2 things..
    1. Whats more important, making the money, or the profession bonuses that suit your class/spec.
    2. How's the market looking for the professions you are eying, on your realm.

Some stuff is overcrowded and you won't make lick without putting a lot of time and efforts into it. You can be happy to break even with the costs of leveling the profession and the revenue from it later.
    Up until endgame crafting professions are pretty obsolete, unless you can specialize in some niche, which requires lots of recipe collecting. And that takes time. A lot of time.

The safe road to make money is a gathering profession.
    Herbalism, Mining, Skinning.
    Those three will always make you money. Always. It it will be so much money that you can afford to learn every riding skill that you have to learn, up until endgame, plus enough money to fund a crafting profession for basically free.

I actually toyed with that stuff around quite a lot.
    I leveled a toon from 0 - 85 in Cata with nothing but gathering. I only did the quests I had to do, like the ones to get into Deepholm, and the few to get to pick up the professions.
    And most recently I did the opposite. I leveled a toon up to 80 without any profession. At 80 I grabbed herbs and mining and went to power level them.
    The material gathered made me pay all the riding skill money to my main, and I am sitting on 12k profit now with the toon.
    All in all, I could have made even more profit, since I had the comparison with the 85 gatherer, who made a ton more.
    Skinning seems to be the most profitable profession in regards of material values. But leather isn't needed so much by the crafting professions across the board.
    Herbs are needed by Scribes and Alchemists.
    Ore needed by Blacksmith, Jewelcrafters and Engineers.

First, don't worry about artisan riding. It's a convenience, but it won't impair you too much if you don't have it. Plus, it takes almost 5k gold out of your stockpile, gold you could use to make more gold. Wait until you have a comfortable amount of gold (say, double that), then make a big spend.

If you're just starting out, there's nothing wrong with taking a pair of gathering professions like mining/herbalism and selling the mats you gather. If a particular ore, herb, or leather sells for a considerable sum, you can spend some time gathering it for some extra cash. Since mining also allows you to craft bars, you can check and see if making bars is worth more than just selling the ore straight.

If you're intending on eventually raiding with one of your characters, it'd be a good idea to make the alt the gatherer, allowing you to grind up mats without having to buy them, something that's useful when you don't have much gold to your name. It also allows you to always have a gathering alt, rather than need to grind up those skills a second time. My suggestion for crafting professions would be alchemy/inscription, as both require herbs, both are easy to level, and both have serious potential for moneymaking at 90. Alchemy can make you profit off of transmute cooldowns, flasks, and potions; inscription gives money through glyphs and DMF cards, though both can be fairly competitive. Tailoring/enchanting can also be useful, giving profit through bags and spellthreads for the former, and current and past enchants for the latter. Tailoring is also good at providing a lot of greens and blues to disenchant.

So, summarized:
    - Hold off on epic flight, you won't really need it.
    - Dual-gathering makes for simple moneymaking, albeit slow.
    - Alchemy/inscription are good crafting professions when you're ready to make that leap.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Okay, here's the deal.... Don't listen to the nubs ..... j/k

But seriously. Do NOT pick a crafting profession just now.
    You have to put gold into it to level it, instead of making money. And then, before you even pick a prof. consider 2 things..
    1. Whats more important, making the money, or the profession bonuses that suit your class/spec.
    2. How's the market looking for the professions you are eying, on your realm.

Some stuff is overcrowded and you won't make lick without putting a lot of time and efforts into it. You can be happy to break even with the costs of leveling the profession and the revenue from it later.
    Up until endgame crafting professions are pretty obsolete, unless you can specialize in some niche, which requires lots of recipe collecting. And that takes time. A lot of time.

The safe road to make money is a gathering profession.
    Herbalism, Mining, Skinning.
    Those three will always make you money. Always. It it will be so much money that you can afford to learn every riding skill that you have to learn, up until endgame, plus enough money to fund a crafting profession for basically free.

I actually toyed with that stuff around quite a lot.
    I leveled a toon from 0 - 85 in Cata with nothing but gathering. I only did the quests I had to do, like the ones to get into Deepholm, and the few to get to pick up the professions.
    And most recently I did the opposite. I leveled a toon up to 80 without any profession. At 80 I grabbed herbs and mining and went to power level them.
    The material gathered made me pay all the riding skill money to my main, and I am sitting on 12k profit now with the toon.
    All in all, I could have made even more profit, since I had the comparison with the 85 gatherer, who made a ton more.
    Skinning seems to be the most profitable profession in regards of material values. But leather isn't needed so much by the crafting professions across the board.
    Herbs are needed by Scribes and Alchemists.
    Ore needed by Blacksmith, Jewelcrafters and Engineers.
    Crafting > gathering for making gold always, and certainly for making gold much faster (by faster I mean time spent to profit returned). In this scenario the op has been pretty clear they can't afford epic flight either, which really makes gathering just a horrible choice for them.

There has never been any point in the game where gathering professions were more profitable than crafting professions for any sustained length of time (until MOP they tended to make more in the first couple of weeks of an xpac but then crafting would take over, MOP has been crafting all the way). Not that I mind people gathering, it gives me cheap mats, but there's a reason I'm basically never out gathering for my gold.

OP if I were new and deciding right now I'd pick up alchemy (xmute master) and inscription. Money returned for time invested right now they are both strong and easy to manage. 1 minute a day to burn your xmute for living steel and make a darkmoon card basically, both can be done daily from the day you hit level 80, no rep grinding required, and it's a steady and constant source of income. Trillium and meta gem xmutes can also be profitable and are not on CD for Alchemy, and inscription is very cheap to level, it should make a profit just from leveling if you're careful to craft things that aren't flooding the AH. Both need herbs to level with, which makes it simple as well. If you don't have the gold to invest in just buying mats to level then take one + herbalism, then drop herbalism for the other later.

Deleted
    I normally agree with windfury but to start blowing his cds he needs the money to invest in his professions to get there? Dyal athering is the way o go becayse it also gives you experience, as I said dop them later when the proces have fallen and invest in a crafting prof. Crafting is not always greater than gathering, it usually is but it is server dependant. The other reason for suggesting gathering is that the stragey for a gatherer is pretty simple and he doesnt have to bother about the ah much. The amount of gold made depends significantly on the amount of mats gathered. This is ideal for a new player.

Too often you see players trying to level their professions as they go along and then sell items that nobody is interested in.

Artisan riding is one of he best investments I ever made, it helps questing go much faster, it helps gathering be much more efficient. It is a no brainer.

I would never recommend inscription to a new player. It's a cutthroat market of players constantly undercutting each other, and is usually already controlled by 2-5 scribes whose entire existence is sitting at the AH just reposting glyphs. I tried it for a couple weeks (using TSM and reading up quite a bit) and although I made some profit, it was ridiculous. Hours camped at the AH/ Mailbox, hoping for them to log off so you could repost safely. Which is impossible because 1 of the 2-5 will be online, always. And the profit per glyph/shoulder inscription is pretty hit and run. One day the shoulders can be 500g per, the next hour it drops to 200. Ridiculous profession. For 1% of the scribes, it's ridiculous profit, for the 99% you'll just tear your hair out.

On the plus side, it's probably *the* easiest crafting profession to level, the cheapest (go to wowprofessional.com to check how much to level on your realm, it's at least half as costly as the next prof). It gives you a nice source of shoulder enchants, and the epics are great for beginner raiding.

If you want easy, but low, profit, get alchemy. Sell your Living steel transmute or transmute yourself. Due to the daily cooldown there is always a reasonable demand. Fair warning that it's only a 200-300g profit per day but it's literally 2 seconds of work.
    Last edited by Booniehat; 2012-10-29 at 03:46 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dual gathering, herbing and mining. This will net you max gold with the least investment. If you absolutely want a crafting prof to than herb alch. You missed the living steel money train...it is impossible to make a decent profit unless you have a miner to get u ghost iron bars.

Go herb, mining. When you level another toon go alch, inscription or jc.

The dual gathering advice is good.

As an alternative, in the long view, having enchanting on your main character is optimal. This character has the most gear churn. Any time you are questing, raiding, pvping, you are generating mats. Everything you produce is sellable. In MoP, the top enchants require faction rep to purchase. This limits the sellers in those markets, and if enchanting is on your main, you may well be grinding that rep anyway.

Tailoring is a good companion for enchanting. But power-leveling that combination would be quite expensive.

Any profession can be profitable. I have everything but BS, and Engineering was my best money-maker in Cat. LW has been top for me so far in MoP. (I donated most of my DM cards to the guild bank). Ultimately making money has more to do with a player's effort and ability to find markets then the actual profession choice. That's part of why gathering is good for the "noob" player.

Dual gathering is good to make some money but depends on how flooded the market is.

You might want to try a gathering prof and enchanting, that way you can make some money and enchant all your gear for free.

Also once you get create sha crystal you can turn 5 shards into a sha crystal once a day. You can buy 5 shards on the ah(depending on the server) for about 150 total and the sha crystals sell for over 600. Just make sure you don't convert dust to essences or essences to shards as the 5 required for conversion ends up being worth more than the one above it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you aren't at level cap, dual gathering means you get extra XP while leveling, and extra money. Then, once you hit 90, you'll have a chunk of extra pocket change (at 85, my alts typically made about 10k or so, given higher expansion launch prices and 5 more levels of grinding, I'd expect closer to 15-20k in MoP) to spend leveling crafting professions if you like. This is especially good now, as prices will slowly fall off as more and more people hit 90 and start farming and less and less people are powerleveling their professions to 600.

The only exception I'd make to that would be if you want to be a Tailor or Enchanter. Tailoring, once you hit WotLK, gets an ability giving them extra cloth drops. This can be useful when leveling to get additional mats for leveling Tailoring; it won't be as profitable short-term as dual gathering, but it will cost you less than leveling Tailoring after the fact. Enchanting, you can Disenchant all the BoP items you get rather than vendoring them for pocket change, giving you mats to level the profession with. Otherwise, you're going to be needing herbs/ore to level your professions, so you may as well take the gathering profs for the free bonus XP. If you sell the mats, you'll have gold to powerlevel later. If you save them, you'll have the mats to powerlevel without buying them off the AH.

The one thing to take note of is Skinning. Unlike Herb/Mining, there's no XP reward for skinning a mob; the XP from the mob is considered "enough". So Skinning won't help you level, and the mats often don't sell as well (though may be spiking right now due to all the Monks being leveled).

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like what everyone is saying is pretty good advice but,I think J.Crafting/Mining is the best way to go.
    J.Crafting is very VERY Easy to lvl up after 350 Witch may seem like a lot but it took me roughly
    2 days to get to 350 J.craft then I got to 585 In 15 Mins lol.Also, not only is J.Craft a easy Proff. To lvl
    But is also EXTREMLY Proffitable.Now I think If i remember correctly Ghost iron goes for somewhere around 200G give or take 50..Now thats for a entiere stack.Where as 1 Stack of any Blue mop gem is roughly 1,000G + If gems are slow at a sertain point in tha AH then you have mining! Which btw it is just used for getting the ore so you can prospect it may also need it to make sertain necks,rings, ext.
    Now Duel gathering is great but also doesnt have to personal/Guild benifits like 1 produc and 1 gathering proff. Say uour guild needs gems for gear and you are a j.crafter they will automaticly look to you and if you do help them then it could lead to guild promos and also you could make tips to(and of course you can make your own gems for free)
    Just know that it may take a little bit more effort in the begining of j.frafting but belive me after 350 it is wayy easy all y

Here is what I did, I was a Warrior so I wanted blacksmithing (gives me gear I can use and slots to up my stats along with stuff I can sell for profit) so I chose a gathering profession of mining to supply my profession. I picked up mining and then I picked up skinning and not blacksmithing. I then leveled to 85 picking up ore nodes and skinning my kills. I stored all my mining ores in my bank vault to use later and I sold all of my skins.

Once I hit max level I ditched skinning and picked up blacksmithing and I used the money I had collected from skinning and the FREE mats I got from mining to max out my blacksmithing and then I sold belt buckles and PVP gear to get money and the left over from questing/skinning/looting would be my start up money.

I would not suggest alchemy, alchemy requires a gathering profession and does not make a shit ton of money, its kind of a recycling profession that supports other professions without being a gathering profession. The Golden Lotus requirements in mop are really going to bite into your profits to the point where you are better off just selling the golden lotus. Its a great alt profession.

Stay away from tailoring until you have enough money that you can blow a sizeable chunk because the requirements for each point of skill up are pretty high, basically 20-40 pieces of cloth for each point of skill up to level 600.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 04:00 PM ----------

Here is my warnings about JC,

There is a period where JC makes no money and thats the beginning of an expansion and the end of an expansion. In the beginning there is not a lot of gear that requires gems and most of it requires a single gem. Once the gear progresses it will get to the point where they require 3 gem slots on almost every single piece of gear and thats when demand outstrips supply. Then at the end of an expansion the majority of people have pretty much all the gear they need and if they do pursue more gear it is for the purpose of Transmog only and they dont buy gems for transmog gear.

To make jc REALLY work you will need an alt with alchemy/herbalism with specialty in transmog and a farm. The farm will be needed to grow motes of harmony to buy golden lotus's to convert crap gems into the best gems and when you transmute them you have a chance to make 2-5 gems. Then your JC character cuts those gems for profit. This way instead of selling 1 gem you can sell 2-5 gems and potentially quadruple your profits. Using this method I can make a good profit and supply my close guild friends with free gems because I make gems like candy.

In Cata I made 500 gold per gem until the last 6 months of cata where they dropped to 100 each, fortunately I made enough money in the middle of cata off gemming that I could afford to level other professions on alts and started pumping out PVP sets to cover the loss of income from JC.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2012-11-15 at 04:02 PM.

Deleted
    Dreadlord you do realise all servers are different. Dyvious about your claim of 500g per gem. Sounds like a very strange server.

15+ Year Old Account
    You get out of a profession what you put into it. Crafting professions require far more careful scrutiny and management of the AH than gathering professions do. If you are willing to invest the time necessary to efficiently play the AH, fine. If your focus is instead questing, etc., then a gathering profession (or two) might serve you better in the short term. Not only will you generate xp from your gathering, but you will farm the mats necessary to level a crafting profession along the way. Examples are mining (JC) or herbalism (inscription), where you can put aside the mats necessary for any subsequent crafting profession while selling the rest.
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.

Makring gold less proffessionbased and more lucksed =)
    DO you find a market to sell whatever you want to sell?
    is the market wealthy?
    -> profit =)

alchemy is prob the simplest, though a lot of the main profit is diminished.

I find Flasks are not selling well, since everyone is turning Harmonies into Lotus. Gone are the days where I was selling 15 flasks a day for 150 per. But X-muting Living Steel, and Trillium still make a profit.

Just the other day, I saw Trillium bar was selling for 55 gold, while a stack of ghost Iron ore was selling for 25 good. SO I bought 10 stacks, smelted, X-muted into 12 bars (yay X-mute spec) and sold.

To build some capital extremely easily (albeit inefficiently), pick up double gathering professions. Mining + Herbalism. You're sure to make some gold.

From there, I would get Chanting and JC to cap. Shuffle all day and print gold. After that, Alch and Inscription are decent. BS is a great companion to Alch, but the profits aren't huge; just something to supplement.

I haven't bothered leveling Tailoring and LW because they make almost no gold on my server. It's kind of weird, actually.

It will also differ by server, but double gathering is a sure bet and a great way to start.