Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Garalon Normal (10/25 General Thread)

Original thread was in regard to Garalon's enrage timer at release, and the first 6 pages are based on that topic.

For those who are not aware:
    The enrage timer on Garalon (10 & 25) was 6 minutes the day of release, posing a significant challenge even to 6/6H MSV guilds.
    It was hotfixed day 2 to a 7 minute enrage, significantly reducing the difficulty.

This thread is now a Garalon general information thread and may (or may not) be updated to include Heroic information as it becomes available.

Edit- cant change thread title, if a mod could change the thread title to the title of this post I'd appreciate it
    Last edited by dennisdkramer; 2012-11-01 at 03:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're struggling with the enrage, mind providing some additional information like current level of gear/current progress in H MSV
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

There are 2, 3, and 4/6 H-MGV guilds killing the boss, I would imagine that means the enrage isn't THAT bad. Exodus's stream probably skewed a lot of people's perspectives but they had like a 3:2 alt/main ratio, which means less gear and less class proficiency.

That said it does seem pretty tight for a normal encounter that was expected to be tuned for not-heroic geared raids.

Only nine guilds killed it on 25man tonight. It seems tuned surprisingly tight. Interested to see what those who have downed it have to say about the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostinferno View Post
    Only nine guilds killed it on 25man tonight. It seems tuned surprisingly tight. Interested to see what those who have downed it have to say about the fight.
    Keep in mind Sandy might have kept some raiders from raiding.

our guild decided to clear vaults tomorrow and hopefully get some more heroic gear to beat the fight. our best attempts are enrage wipes at 17-20%. the healing requirements are so high it seems like you have to 3 heal, but the dps requirements are so high it seems like you can't 3 heal. it really feels like a hardmode boss.

the bonus damage to legs buff is nothing but a trap. on the attempts we tried to abuse it our ranged lost 10-15k dps from having to move around to keep in the circle.

from a 10 man perspective, two healing, each member has to pull 85k dps AT LEAST to make the enrage. for a normal mode encounter its just silly. we are 4/6H and all around 385 ilvl... for a normal mode guild, progressing through normal mode content, i don't even see how this boss is possible unless you want to farm a whole raid full of regular mode BIS before attempting him.

having a resto druid would probably help a lot for this fight. the fucking priest buffs can't come soon enough.

those are my thoughts on a night of garalon wipes.
    Last edited by crunk; 2012-10-31 at 07:14 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's tuned tightly for 10 man as well. It's pretty much another Gara'jal really, except this is a heroic boss.

Some attempts we do fine and other attempts the legs just don't seem to respawn very fast.

We are 4/6 heroic vaults and we def have the DPS to kill him, but from a tuning perspective I have no idea how a run of the mill normal clearing guild would ever kill this boss. His health seems heroic level TBH lol.

By the way, Icy-veins values for boss HP are correct? 109 mil for 10 man and 400 mil for 25 man?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold of Skullcrusher View Post
    By the way, Icy-veins values for boss HP are correct? 109 mil for 10 man and 400 mil for 25 man?
    No. ~250/650 mil respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by redd View Post
    No. ~250/650 mil respectively.
    Holy shit, that's dsp challenge... Anyone has done it on 10 man yet?

Holy shit, that's dsp challenge... Anyone has done it on 10 man yet?
    29x 10 man kills, 10x 25 man kills respectively.
    Obviously, if it's this tightly tuned, they either don't expect you to do it without actually having a proper item level (protip - you're "supposed" to farm MSV till you're basicly decked, then move on to the new raids with a higher Ilvl - not jump into them straight away with blue items still equipped).
    Not to mention that it's half a tier higher gear than MSV, which means they may very well intend for you to be able to beat 2-4 HC's in MSV before you can clear normal HoF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    29x 10 man kills, 10x 25 man kills respectively.
    Obviously, if it's this tightly tuned, they either don't expect you to do it without actually having a proper item level (protip - you're "supposed" to farm MSV till you're basicly decked, then move on to the new raids with a higher Ilvl - not jump into them straight away with blue items still equipped).
    Not to mention that it's half a tier higher gear than MSV, which means they may very well intend for you to be able to beat 2-4 HC's in MSV before you can clear normal HoF.
    I mean of someone here already did it :-) Posting log/recount screen would be nice...

I just sat and did some napkin math. I'm not really a genius, and I'd appreciate correction with my numbers if there's any mistake:

This is assuming:
    Only 6 million health per leg (In reality they have about... 6.2 million?)
    6 minute enrage timer (360 seconds)
    7 dps players doing equal damage (ignoring the fact that tanks do a lot less damage)
    3 healers

Each leg is 3% health, rather 6 million health is 3%. 6 million * 33,3333333 equals 199 ish million health total on the boss
    199 ish million divided among 7 dps players equals 28.4 million damage, required per player to get a kill.
    28.4 million damage, divided in 360 seconds, equals 78k DPS requirement to kill the boss in 6 minutes or less.

Now, that is with some really favorable conditions (your tanks will never compete with DPS, and having 1 range kiting pheromones means they do a lot less damage than the ones standing on the 100% increase damage area). My question remains:

Is there any flaw on the math displayed above? Our guild is 2/6H in MSV, and on our Garalon attempts tonight, only our warlock was pulling those numbers. With 2 pheromone kiters its rough to sustain those, not to mention tanks will not be doing 78k either.

I'm not very comfortable with a 2 heal strategy, since 2 of our healers just rerolled out of emergency, and their gear is lacking, but with how things are looking, there may not be a choice to get anywhere close to a kill.

I'd appreciate any comments on the subject.
    Last edited by Maefor; 2012-10-31 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maefor View Post
    I just sat and did some napkin math. I'm not really a genius, and I'd appreciate correction with my numbers if there's any mistake:

This is assuming:
    Only 6 million health per leg (In reality they have about... 6.2 million?)
    6 minute enrage timer (360 seconds)
    7 dps players doing equal damage (ignoring the fact that tanks do a lot less damage)
    3 healers

Each leg is 3% health, rather 6 million health is 3%. 6 million * 33,3333333 equals 199 ish million health total on the boss
    199 ish million divided among 7 dps players equals 28.4 million damage, required per player to get a kill.
    28.4 million damage, divided in 360 seconds, equals 78k DPS requirement to kill the boss in 6 minutes or less.

Now, that is with some really favorable conditions (your tanks will never compete with DPS, and having 1 range kiting pheromones means they do a lot less damage than the ones standing on the 100% increase damage area). My question remains:

Is there any flaw on the math displayed above? Our guild is 2/6H in MSV, and on our Garalon attempts tonight, only our warlock was pulling those numbers. With 2 pheromone kiters its rough to sustain those, not to mention tanks will not be doing 78k either.

I'm not very comfortable with a 2 heal strategy, since 2 of our healers just rerolled out of emergency, and their gear is lacking, but with how things are looking, there may not be a choice to get anywhere close to a kill.

I'd appreciate any comments on the subject.
    You're forgetting the 100% damage buff.

Can't melee cleave on the boss? We don't raid til Friday, but my understanding is there is a cleave component to it, between the leg/body.

You're forgetting the 100% damage buff.
    No I'm not. The 100% damage buff increases your damage output, but you still have to do the same 200 million damage to kill the boss. There's a lot of movement in between legs each time they get destroyed, I'm not sure if its lack of practice or not, but all in all our tank DPS was at around 30k, and the middle of the pack DPS was at around 50-60k, this is accounting the 100% buff.

I know those numbers are low, we still need to work on the strategy, movement and such, but even then it feels way too out of reach

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Can't melee cleave on the boss? We don't raid til Friday, but my understanding is there is a cleave component to it, between the leg/body.
    I think rogues can blade flurry the shit out of the legs and boss..

I suggested this in other thread - what if you use no tanks for this fight? Any plate dps/shaman with shield should survive the frontal cone attack with kinda high health remaining... What do you think about this? 8 deeps - 2 healers or 7 deeps 3 healers? (for 10 man)

Quote Originally Posted by Raxxed View Post
    If you're struggling with the enrage, mind providing some additional information like current level of gear/current progress in H MSV
    We haven't got in there yet (raids on weekends) just trying to get some of the strategy work done beforehand.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 04:35 AM ----------

There are 2, 3, and 4/6 H-MGV guilds killing the boss, I would imagine that means the enrage isn't THAT bad. Exodus's stream probably skewed a lot of people's perspectives but they had like a 3:2 alt/main ratio, which means less gear and less class proficiency.

That said it does seem pretty tight for a normal encounter that was expected to be tuned for not-heroic geared raids.
    They may have had a lot of alts but their average ilvl (484 i think they said?) was still *significantly* higher than what most casual guilds will have.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 04:38 AM ----------

I think rogues can blade flurry the shit out of the legs and boss..

I suggested this in other thread - what if you use no tanks for this fight? Any plate dps/shaman with shield should survive the frontal cone attack with kinda high health remaining... What do you think about this? 8 deeps - 2 healers or 7 deeps 3 healers? (for 10 man)
    there isnt a cleave gimmick (except for fire mages spreading 200% combustion) but yes they can be slowly killed by cleaving instead of bum rushing the legs as they spawn

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    We haven't got in there yet (raids on weekends) just trying to get some of the strategy work done beforehand.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 04:35 AM ----------

They may have had a lot of alts but their average ilvl (484 i think they said?) was still *significantly* higher than what most casual guilds will have.
    Main issue being that it's probably tuned around 485+ avg lvl, as MSV norm and VP gear provides 489 rewards. It's the start of the expansion, don't expect anything to be a pushover.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arms warriors and rogues were very strong on this fight. We killed it with like 6 seconds left on enrage but you have to max your damage with the buff you get from the legs and burn them quick.