Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Pfft haters >_>
    More like people with music taste -.-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Thats junk..........some ppl have realy weird taste to like this.

Eminem compared too this is 1:100 difrence.
    Yea, cause Eminem isnt about as much junk as Swift.

Anyway, gratz, Swift, on making tons of money on basic music.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenFlames View Post
    Yea, cause Eminem isnt about as much junk as Swift.

Anyway, gratz, Swift, on making tons of money on basic music.
    Eminem is pure genius.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Her music is absolute crap. Is this really the best selling music of our generation....?

Where's Kanye when you need him?

Kanyes music really isnt all that great either lol. Actually come to think of it there are not many current musicians that really really stand out right now. Its all poppy junk.

That being said i do like taylor, as she is hot lol.

Articles like this make me wonder though: is it that she and her album are that popular, or is it because music (and album) sales have been somewhat depressed in the past decade largely due to rampant piracy, especially before services like the iTunes store hit critical mass.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Articles like this make me wonder though: is it that she and her album are that popular, or is it because music (and album) sales have been somewhat depressed in the past decade largely due to rampant piracy, especially before services like the iTunes store hit critical mass.
    Piracy has never been shown to have any truly significant effect on sales in an academic context (as opposed to the labels crying)..

Not to mention if piracy was the reason, then there's no reason to assume that suddenly it doesn't apply to her.

Piracy has never been shown to have any truly significant effect on sales in an academic context (as opposed to the labels crying)..
    There was recently an article stating that "pirates" are actually buying more music than "non-pirates". In Germany, at least. Source
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    There was recently an article stating that "pirates" are actually buying more music than "non-pirates". In Germany, at least. [[URL="http://torrentfreak.com/file-sharers-buy-30-more-music-than-non-p2p-peers-121015/"]Source]
    Yeah, articles like that pop up almost every year. It really just makes sense, but the labels can't see past their own petty shortsighted greed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice achievement for Taylor Swift, congratulations!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    More like people with music taste -.-
    Because only good music is determined by you. I'm sure you say the same thing to people who don't like the food you like or the cloths, cars, games, computers, hair products...

Her first albums were country she started out as a country singer this one is defiantly more pop-ish. She's cute, catchy tunes, good for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Parthenon View Post
    Someone's mad.

Maybe you're just too mean?
    or maybe i had to sit through a live concert with my kid

here is an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoMF3TsNWFA

10+ Year Old Account
    Spice girls were pretty big deal back in the day too.

For me, real music is the kind the beats the test of time. Taylor swift isn't that.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 04:36 PM ----------

Also, from the video above, anyone who sounds like a donkey live is not a real singer.

Not to mention if piracy was the reason, then there's no reason to assume that suddenly it doesn't apply to her.
    Well, one possible reason would be the increase in the use of convenient online sources for buying music which weren't always in place for the past 10 years. It was easier to download for free than to go out and buy. Now it's probably easier to buy than looking for a pirated copy.

Well, one possible reason would be the increase in the use of convenient online sources for buying music which weren't always in place for the past 10 years. It was easier to download for free than to go out and buy. Now it's probably easier to buy than looking for a pirated copy.
    Again, that's not going to suddenly happen for this one album.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    There was recently an article stating that "pirates" are actually buying more music than "non-pirates". In Germany, at least. Source
    The question is, however, how much music are they buying vs if there was no piracy?

Imagine I am a music lover and there are 10 albums that I want. In the past maybe I could only afford 5. But now with piracy I can buy 5 and download 5. Or maybe buy 3 and download 7.

Now imagine that you like a lot less music. There are 2 albums you want to buy, so you buy them. In this scenario, the person doing the downloading still buys more even though there could still be real losses to the publisher/distributor.

The problem is pretty hard to study though, since behaviors--especially something around a new technology--constantly change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragore View Post
    Because only good music is determined by you. I'm sure you say the same thing to people who don't like the food you like or the cloths, cars, games, computers, hair products...

Her first albums were country she started out as a country singer this one is defiantly more pop-ish. She's cute, catchy tunes, good for her.
    No it's common sense to consider such music shit, it's almost the same level as lil wayne or nicki minaj (yes nowadays music is that bad).

Again, that's not going to suddenly happen for this one album.
    Here's what I mean: say popular album X released in 2006 would have sold 1.3M under current conditions with the crackdown on file sharing and torrents and the rise of convenient legal networks. But in 2006 they only sold 1.1 M.

I'm not trying to put down this achievement. I just wonder if the comparison to the last 10 years is truly valid or not. I'm more interested from an intellectual, stat-geeky sort of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Meari View Post
    If the music is good, why does it matter? It may not be your cup of tea but clearly a lot of people like it, and I'm betting not just because of her looks (Personally I don't even think she's attractive)

1) this thread is about it so that's why it matters

2) people aren't buying the music, the lyrics or her, they're buying the package because they know someone who bought the package. fame leads to success nowadays, success doesn't lead to fame on the same scale.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 11:53 AM ----------

Here's what I mean: say popular album X released in 2006 would have sold 1.3M under current conditions with the crackdown on file sharing and torrents and the rise of convenient legal networks. But in 2006 they only sold 1.1 M.

I'm not trying to put down this achievement. I just wonder if the comparison to the last 10 years is truly valid or not. I'm more interested from an intellectual, stat-geeky sort of way.
    well she's always had a huge following because of the internet and because of her position to have people market everything she does. she was set up to succeed and it had nothing to do with music.

No, I realised what you meant, but I guess my response was poorly worded. What I want to say is that if piracy had a bigger impact during previous years than today, then logically you would expect album sales to have increased relative to the pre-digital distribution era. Like what you described in your example, but rather the yearly total instead.

However, in fact, total album sales have declined every single year since 2000 (except 2011 where it essentially stayed flat).
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-10-31 at 05:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knails View Post
    You guys are mentioning The Beatles, Swift, Kanye and yet you're leaving out the best 2 lyricists of a generation; Jimmy Page & Roger Waters
    Psh.. Vladimir Vysotsky definitely wins. Especially since everything he did was done under Soviet oppression, as a part of the counter culture. It really is too bad that Russian doesn't translate well into English.. even Tatu had to change their lyrics around to make their albums fluid in both languages.