Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

First serious concern in a change by Blizzard

I know there are a lot of things people want to bitch about, day in and day out, but I normally just go with it, and accept the changes. But this is just dumb. I know at the end they said "this is not patch notes, and some of this may not come to pass...blah blah blah" But the fact that they would even consider this just blows me mind.

Rated Battleground Participation Rewards – If you’ve PvPed for any length of time, you’ve been in one of those matches where the final score is so close that victory was a breath away. When we do our jobs right and give you one of those really close matches, it’s sad to not get any reward for participating, so we want to give out some kind of small reward. The rewards will be based on the final score to discourage exploitation.

At this point, why not just give a smaller amount of gear from a boss in a raid if you get him to 5% and wipe? You shouldn't have to be rewarded for trying, no matter how hard you try, you get rewarded for completing a task.

This isn't game breaking for me, and I'm not even going to act like I'll rage quit, but this is seriously ridiculous. Why are Blizzard even considering giving someone a reward for a "close" game? If you don't win, you don't win.

I also acknowledge that they said it will be small reward, but regardless, who gets rewarded for losing? are we 6 year olds on a T-Ball team?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeydivision82 View Post
    I know there are a lot of things people want to bitch about, day in and day out, but I normally just go with it, and accept the changes. But this is just dumb. I know at the end they said "this is not patch notes, and some of this may not come to pass...blah blah blah" But the fact that they would even consider this just blows me mind.

Rated Battleground Participation Rewards – If you’ve PvPed for any length of time, you’ve been in one of those matches where the final score is so close that victory was a breath away. When we do our jobs right and give you one of those really close matches, it’s sad to not get any reward for participating, so we want to give out some kind of small reward. The rewards will be based on the final score to discourage exploitation.

At this point, why not just give a smaller amount of gear from a boss in a raid if you get him to 5% and wipe? You shouldn't have to be rewarded for trying, no matter how hard you try, you get rewarded for completing a task.

This isn't game breaking for me, and I'm not even going to act like I'll rage quit, but this is seriously ridiculous. Why are Blizzard even considering giving someone a reward for a "close" game? If you don't win, you don't win.

I also acknowledge that they said it will be small reward, but regardless, who gets rewarded for losing? are we 6 year olds on a T-Ball team?
    This has been blizzard's target demographic for like 2 years now.

I don't pvp at all. but I do agree.

Made by Visenna, TY<3

RBGs are a feature in search of an audience. They're trying not to let the time spent on development go to waste, which it has so far, so they're continuing to try to find conservative ways to attract more players to RBGs. Sorry, does this change affect you negatively in a personal way?

I still think RBGs were a complete waste of time and should have been created as a "better random queued BG without bots" with CAPTCHAs to verify players, but instead they've become 10v10 arena for .001% of the player base.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, I don't like this change either.

Unless its like honor points or something that doesn't really matter.

I don't want to return to the BC days of losing your way to epics.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as its a small increase in conquest / honor, i dont see the harm. Actually i think its a good thing. Can you recall the amount of BGs that your team quit playing because you was behind in points?

WG - 10 MINUTES left and Enemy team has one more Flag cap = Let them win.
    AB - Enemy team up by 200 points = Let them win.
    AV - Lost a tower / enemy team has more reinforcments = Let them win.
    EOTS - Down by 100 = Let them win.

With a chance at an extra reward, player may get off their asses and attempt to win. This will make BGs more exciting. I hope they add it to randoms as well.
    Last edited by the0o; 2012-11-01 at 06:03 PM.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

Deleted
    I agree completely with you. If you win, you get rewarded. If you don't, then too bad; try to improve your gameplay and find a better team next time.

I think for every game you lose you should lose 1 random piece of gear. That ought to make people work for it.

i Tried RBG's once or twice. But the matchmaking sucked ass. It was a team of brand new to RBG people against a team like 1000 rating higher than us. It wasn't fun and i basically pretend the thing doesn't exist anymore because of it.

Everyone knows that the pvpers are the crybabys of the game maybe blizzard trying to be fair even to the short bus kids

Deleted
    The difference is, if you almost finish a task in real life, with just 5% of the task goals remaining, the 95% does count.
    The 95% work done is not meaningless, is not without value.

As for PvP, soldiers still get paid even if they lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
    I think for every game you lose you should lose 1 random piece of gear. That ought to make people work for it.
    Agree. This isn't T-ball. There should be penalties for losing. In fact, not only should you lose a piece of gear, you should be locked out of any more matches for a day once you lose. That way we have the cream rise to the top. We don't want this to be some sort of bush league sport, especially with such a huge number of people doing RBGs everyday.

just the way game is made now - even losing is rewarded.

if you have grinded to warlord/hw in vanilla you know how disappointing a loss can be and how strongly it motivated people like me to keep pushing for the final rank. 8 years later you get rewards for cutting it close.

if anything, it will make trading even MORE attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    RBGs are a feature in search of an audience. They're trying not to let the time spent on development go to waste, which it has so far, so they're continuing to try to find conservative ways to attract more players to RBGs. Sorry, does this change affect you negatively in a personal way?

I still think RBGs were a complete waste of time and should have been created as a "better random queued BG without bots" with CAPTCHAs to verify players, but instead they've become 10v10 arena for .001% of the player base.
    No, it does not effect me in a personal way, but does it really need to? I can have a complaint/concern regarding something being changed to a game that I pay monthly to play, I'm not saying "BLIZZARD SUCKS, I KNOW BETTER THAN THEM" but no matter how you look at this, it is ridiculous, and I have thought back and forth before posting this, if there is any logical reason for it to happen, and there is not.

Sure you can spout of about how its appealing to .001% of the player base, but at one point, so was raiding, when there was only one mode, and it required 40 people. They made gear easier to obtain over time, but they never handed you things for "trying" Everything you did you had to earn by a "win" one way or another. When they added welfare epics, you still had to kill bosses to earn the badges to buy the items, and you were limited to one kill a day per boss, so its not like you could farm a single easy boss all day and go buy an item.

If they want to have RBG appeal to a large majority of players, giving them a reward for "trying" is not the right way to go about it, you have to offer something bigger for winning" What if finishing H. Rag 25 only rewarded you some gold, and a 0.1% mount drop, 99.999% of the players wouldn't have attempted it. Instead, they offered some good gear, and a title on top of those. So for RBGs, maybe increase the current reward by a larger amount, and maybe a set of better gear, keep the same look, maybe a slight recolor, but offer a much better set of stats per piece. You have to give people incentive to WIN, not to play. When you give them incentive to win, they will want to play, but if you say "hey here is some shit just for participating" that will go dull really fast, and they'll eventually look to offer another ridiculous reward. But if you say "hey come play this, and if you work for it, you can get some bad ass gear" people will want to actually go in and try.

Quote Originally Posted by StaeleAilar View Post
    i Tried RBG's once or twice. But the matchmaking sucked ass. It was a team of brand new to RBG people against a team like 1000 rating higher than us. It wasn't fun and i basically pretend the thing doesn't exist anymore because of it.
    I believe this is the experience most people have had with RBGs. Did it once, got stomped, never came back.

here is the thing, you're rewarded for TRYING and in random bgs right now, it's a bunch of fucking bots and afkers who aren't trying

when you get behind on a bad team, why try? this won't hurt a thing imo, it will give an incentive to not afk for honor

Quote Originally Posted by LazyJones View Post

As for PvP, soldiers still get paid even if they lose.
    Not if they die....

If they want to have RBG appeal to a large majority of players, giving them a reward for "trying" is not the right way to go about it, you have to offer something bigger for winning"
    Do you understand why basically no one plays RBGs?

The effort involved is huge compared to the reward. Find 10 civilized people who want to get together at the same time for several hours a week in assigned roles? Or play 2s while you're blind drunk on Monday night. Hmmmm let me think.

I think this change is pointless and won't help get RBGs off the ground, but I don't have a negative reaction to it.

The real concern is possibly making 5v5 RBG. Remember why 2v2 doesn't give the best PvP titles/rewards, or why 25-man raids are dying? Smaller groups will always be easier to manage and if they make 5-man RBGs the 10-man ones will die out quite fast...
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

I've never agreed with rewarding losers, in-game and in real life. Doing so makes people think it is acceptable to come second. It isn't. You're either first, or you're a nobody!

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 07:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    The effort involved is huge compared to the reward. Find 10 civilized people who want to get together at the same time for several hours a week in assigned roles?
    You know you just described Raiding (10 man particularly) perfectly, right?