Weapon Speed (Guardian)

Hi there,

Recently got my druid alt to 90 and have specced him as a Guardian and I was wondering. Should I go for a 3.6 speed weapon from mogushan palace or the 3.2 speed weapon from shadopan monastery?

The stats on both are equally good its just the speed/hit damage that is different.

Which is better for tanking?

Atm I think http://www.wowhead.com/item=89685#. is pretty much BiS until raids because of the insane amount of mastery / crit. If you have to choose between the other two I'd probably take the 3.6 from MSP just because slower hits cause higher damage and guardian is mainly about burst aggro.

Thats what I initially thought then I considered the 3.2 staff from shadopan because I was thinking, more hits = more chances to crit = more rage.

I always thought druids don't scale on weapon speed but only the dps on the weapon.

If that is the case, I was not aware. I've always played as resto and this is my first time ever using something other than resto :P

The speed of the weapon is irrelevant for druids, it's the DPS/ damage range that count.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakushi View Post
    Atm I think http://www.wowhead.com/item=89685#. is pretty much BiS until raids because of the insane amount of mastery / crit.
    That insane amount is much smaller at level 90.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Williee View Post
    I always thought druids don't scale on weapon speed but only the dps on the weapon.
    this!

feral and guardium dont scale on weapon speed or weapon damage, we scale on weapon dps
    and weapon dps is purely dependent on itemlevel until blizzard adds something weird
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

@ OT - use whichever 463 weapon you get first. As long as its 463 or higher, you will be fine. If you have a scribe, try and craft the BoA staff. The pvp weapons wouldn't be a bad start until you can get something better since there is no longer a stat penalty for pvp stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakushi View Post
    Atm I think http://www.wowhead.com/item=89685#. is pretty much BiS until raids because of the insane amount of mastery / crit. If you have to choose between the other two I'd probably take the 3.6 from MSP just because slower hits cause higher damage and guardian is mainly about burst aggro.
    Yakushi... what are you doing... Yakushi... stahp

No really, just stop.

1) Bears care about ilvl first but never weapon speed. Ilvl correlates to the weapon's DPS but the DPS itself is a larger concern for feral.
    2) Due to stat scaling and stat priority this tier, all five 463 weapons are so close to each other, none truly outshine the others.
    3) Guardian is about Burst aggro??? I thought it was about survival and mitigation but ok.
    4) I guess you mean Snap aggro and this isn't usually a concern in a 5 man since you aren't tank swapping nor is it something you actively gear for. If a tank cannot hold aggro against a reasonably geared dps then there are larger issues with the tank's play style rather than what type of weapon they are using.
    Last edited by Kioga; 2012-11-02 at 01:42 PM.

I have learnt quite a bit in this thread. Thank you all Ill probably just get the one from Shadopan Monastery in that case. Its got expertise/mastery which is nice.

Should be raiding on this character by next week which is good. Any general tips for a startup druid tank going into 10mans? Ingame name Ròckylobster to see me. I know all of the fights (6/6 on my pally healer) so thats not a problem.

@ Rocky

Get hit/exp capped. Stack crit/haste until you hit HMs. Research which fights favor FR vs SD usage. Discuss with your healers about how easy/hard it is to heal you and go from there.
    Last edited by Kioga; 2012-11-02 at 01:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kioga View Post
    @ Rocky

Get hit/exp capped. Stack crit/haste until you hit HMs. Research which fights favor FR vs SD usage. Discuss with your healers about how easy/hard it is to heal you and go from there.
    no stack crit/mastery/dodge, not haste you silly
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

@ Elunedra & Zoibert - I refer you to Arielle of The Inc Bear in the guardian stat priority thread.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...se-help/page10

Quote Originally Posted by Arielle View Post
    For normals there's no reason not to run Hit/Exp/Crit/Haste. Nothing hits remotely hard enough to warrant Dodge or Mastery. Correct usage of SD/FR will get you through normals pretty easily.

This is supported by TheeTova's spreadsheets which show the correlation between haste & crit and why stacking one, increases the value of the other. Personally I wouldn't gem/enchant haste but a lot of the raid drops already come with it so I didn't want the OP to think it was the most God awful stat in the world.

That said, magic damage & bleeds ignore armor which makes mastery useless against those types of damage. Don't forget you will already have like 65% damage reduction through armor on your gear so its not like you are running around naked by stacking crit and haste. With crit/haste, you will generate more rage to fuel SD/FR which will be of greater benefit than reforging everything for dodge and getting like 1-2% more passive dodge.

Dodge does not appear naturally on our gear so that means you would have to reforge/gem/enchant for it which is not advised for normal raiding at this time.
    Last edited by Kioga; 2012-11-02 at 04:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elunedra View Post
    no stack crit/mastery/dodge, not haste you silly
    This. Although it depends entirely on the encounter you are facing. Bosses such as Stone Guard HC are easier with a hit/exp cap and crit stack build, bosses that deal more direct physical damage (Gara'jal or Will of the Emperor, for example) might prove easier with a mastery/dodge build.

But I must say that going full crit with capped hit and expertise is my favorite by far.

What I have been doing is getting 7.5% hit/expertise (NO chance of getting 15% in this gear) then going for crit --> mastery --> dodge --> haste

If Tooth and Claw makes it to live (I'm doubting it will) Haste's value goes through the roof.

What is Tooth and Claw? I dont follow the PTR patch notes at all so I am not sure what is coming in 5.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockylobster View Post
    What is Tooth and Claw? I dont follow the PTR patch notes at all so I am not sure what is coming in 5.1.
    What you need to know:

http://theincbear.com/monday-roundup-october-29-2012

http://theincbear.com/urgent-news-empowered-maul

I really hope this makes it to live in some useful fashion.
    Last edited by Kioga; 2012-11-02 at 05:56 PM.