Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Why don't you make some of those then, rather than apparently unironically doing the same thing you're complaining about? (I guess it's easy to complain, eh?)

Personally I hate the eastern theme, and the only zone I've liked has been the dread wastes since it doesn't have any of it... I guess I could go and make a thread about how "I like the dread wastes", but it's still be an implicit complaint about the other zones, during the grand total of which about the only thing I enjoyed was when Li Li accompanied me for a while.
    Whereas I am actually making an intelligent observation and making active suggestions, you are just contributing to the problem. Ironically, this is what you called me out on. But nevermind. Apparently, trying to encourage others to see this game in a more positive light only brings out the smartasses amongst us *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    No, but thanks for asking.

What I _am_ tired of are trolls appearing as a major factor in every expansion. Let's have a Gnome dungeon or something, and not a stupid "Gnomes are traitors, inept, or cowards or all of the above" situation with a boss in a dungeon, either. Or heck, how about a Dark Iron Dwarves dungeon. Something with an existing race that hasn't been done extensively.
    the troll thing threw me off. still doesn't feel right. that's literally the only problem I have with the lore/etc in mists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    Asian theme is why I didn't buy MoP, so yeah I got sick of it way before it was cool...
    You cannot get sick of something before you've even tried it. Fail, sir.

The fact that your not even 90 yet.. kinda takes any valid points from this thread and destroys them...

No because it's not the only theme in the game.

The Asian theme is mainly strong in Jade Forest, Eternal Blossoms and the mountains of Kun Lai (the temples and monastaries). The Mantid theme (which is easily my favorite lore in MoP) dominates Townlong and Dread Wastes. Four Winds is a farmland while Krasaung wilds is a jungle and while there's little bits of Asian architecture, they are mainly generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    I find it hard to motivate myself to play because the lore in this expansion (with the exception of Wrathion and Alliance vs Horde developments) simply isn't keeping me hooked. I'm considering simply getting my characters to 90 and waiting for the next expansion. I was one of the optimists coming into this expansion, but it kind of misfired.

The main thing is that it doesn't seem very creative; I was hoping to see something other than a mash-up of real-world Asian themes in WoW. What we ended up with is a conglomerate of every Asian/Kung Fu stereotype all rolled into an expansion, rather than improvising a unique Pandarian culture as a foundation with other existing WoW elements added onto said foundation.

Everything from the Great Wall to the 5-fist Kung Fu aspects has simply been tossed from the real world into WoW, which is why I feel that disconnect. Not a bad expansion so far by any means, but I just can't motivate myself to be interested in lore that is so very closely mirrored from reality.

Anyone else feel the same? Despite my constructive criticism, I am excited to see how defensive people get over this.
    Everything about WOW is a mashup of of real world cultural themes and stereotypes, unabashedly so.
    I'm actually a lot more into the Asian theme than I thought I would be.

I really can't believe you're saying this before the first freaking patch has even come around, barely a month into the game.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    the troll thing threw me off. still doesn't feel right. that's literally the only problem I have with the lore/etc in mists.
    well it kind of makes sense. the zandalari were the biggest empire in the world at one point makes sense if there were any other empires they would either be allies or enemies.

i still feel they shouldve kept the whole pandaria was always an island thing though it felt unique having a place that was never part of the original continent. to bad it got retconned
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    TBC - Sci-Fi
    Wrath - Norse mythology
    Cata - A mix of european and egyptian mythology
    MoP - Chinese mythology
    TBC wasn't scifi. It was more the dark fantasy of Moorcock's multiverse.

---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 10:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    I'm tired of the daily quest grind that is mandatory, but other than that i'm enjoying the expansion.

I don't get why people were so anti-asian prior to release and why there are still people so hardcore anti-asian now. Doesn't make much sense to me. It's nice having a change of scenery.
    Bull honkey. Nothing is mandatory about the dailies at all. I've gotten geared up for LFR without a single fucking daily, so don't tell me it's mandatory anymore than the Hodir rep in WOTLK.

---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 10:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by IdTheDemon View Post
    No because it's not the only theme in the game.

The Asian theme is mainly strong in Jade Forest, Eternal Blossoms and the mountains of Kun Lai (the temples and monastaries). The Mantid theme (which is easily my favorite lore in MoP) dominates Townlong and Dread Wastes. Four Winds is a farmland while Krasaung wilds is a jungle and while there's little bits of Asian architecture, they are mainly generic.

Jade Forest is Chinese.
    Valley of 4 Winds is like Hobbiton meets Da Lat, Vietnam.

Krasarang is like Cambodia or Vietnam.

Kun Lai is Tibet and the Himalayas.

People need some education it seems in places other than their home country.
    Last edited by Yig; 2012-11-03 at 03:07 AM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Yeah the Asian theme sucks and I know what you mean very well. I too have decided to just wait on the next expansion, this one just sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SylvanaSlave View Post
    Oh you can, following news on mmo-champ before premiere was enough. Also beta...

No, but I AM getting tired of the beer theme.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IBroughtGuns View Post
    OP, please quit being an emo douchebag cynical crybaby. Its like you sat down for a week and focused on what you could possibly think of to complain about and then tried to talk yourself into believing it. Its really sad at how awesome this expansion and yet there will always be people like you that just try to find something to complain about. Come on guys, i read stuff like this and just cant wrap my head around why you would spend time badmouthing anything about this perfect game. Just have fun, quit worrying about what u think is wrong and focus on how awesome it actually is.
    Are you okay, or just here to provoke the OP? Not going to say anything about it because if I do it's an insta-infract, but what you said here is not even to be discussed about.

OT: Meh, I feel there was too much stereotyping at some points, but that's all really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    Oh you can, following news on mmo-champ before premiere was enough. Also beta...
    Because we all know that's exactly the same as playing current content live...

OT before I get infracted for trolling: I'm loving the new theme. It' so distinct from the previous elemental and primal feel to the previous expansion, while it still has its darker and seriously more sinister sides to it. I particularly like the mythical/supernatural idea of something non-corporeal/psychological manifesting into something real that you actively interact with, as in, the Sha concept.

Bull honkey. Nothing is mandatory about the dailies at all. I've gotten geared up for LFR without a single fucking daily, so don't tell me it's mandatory anymore than the Hodir rep in WOTLK.
    The gear you attain from dailies far surpass that of the raidfinder.
    For example by becoming exalted with the Klaxxi, you obtain a ilvl489 ring, which is by far better than what you can hope to obtain from LFR.
    Furthermore, you also get lesser coins of fortune, these coins are infact very important when it comes to gearing yourself, altho I wouldn't spend them on the raidfinder.
    On top of that, should you want to obtain the best enchants as an enchanter, you're actually forced to first go through the chore of doing golden lotus until revered and then celestials for bracers(up to revered) and Shadopan up to revered for weapons.
    Even further you obtain a free 489 necklace by doing aforementioned dailies.

Not to mention that the tillers is by far the most certain way of obtaining motes of harmony and ingredients for cooking, all which you will be interested in while raiding.

If you have any intention at all of raiding anything above the raid finder, you will be doing dailies, alot of them.

I don't have a problem with the expansion, nor the culture it portrays, I do however have a problem with being forced to repeatedly do the same quests day in and day out just because they want people to play but lack the actual content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love Asian culture so the theme of MoP is perfect in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SylvanaSlave View Post
    Does that mean I have to read a Twilight book and 50 shades of grey before I can officially say I'm sick of the teen sparkly vampires being everywhere?

Does this mean I have to listen to all of Justin Beiber's songs before I can officially say I'm sick of his style of music?

Do I have to get a full-blown case of herpes before I can say I'm sick of having them?

While I get what you're saying - maybe he just doesn't like the style at all. Me? I have no problem with it - but I can understand the frustration he's saying.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2012-11-03 at 06:21 AM.

I am no where near sick of it ... its still wow lore but with added awesomeness

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    I love Asian culture so the theme of MoP is perfect in my opinion.
    I don't think he has a problem with it being Asian themed... he has a problem with the Pandaren culture being a mimic of existing asian history. It's not the looks - it's the story just being China/Asia retold instead of just being a whole new original culture/land with asian themes/designs.

Allow me to use the Avatar series as an example... it clearly has Asian themes, but there's no great walls, mongol hordes or things you can say "hey, that's just like XYZ from Asia's history." The world, the lands, the magic, the clans are all their own. Some things might be inspired... but the stories are NOT directly re-told based on any Asian history.

There's another thing that playing Elder Scrolls: Skyrim has taught me... is just how damn good a story can get when you get people CRAFTING a good interesting world and culture instead of just rewriting pre-existing stories and changing the names around to make it your own.

In Elder Scrolls - the Imperial Empire is obviously very inspired by Roman culture in design... but that's where it ends. The story and lands have absolutely NOTHING else built from the Roman empire. There's no parody of the Sistine Chapel, no emperors suspiciously named similar to Caezar, ect...

That's more his point. He wished that the writers gave the Pandaren more of their own distinctive culture/history where only the art is inspired by asian culture.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like it, but everytime I here a Pandarians voice, I always think that Blizzard is trolling China.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Im not sick of the zones, but i find myself boored all the time. Havent done dailys in a week because i cannot stand them atm, i just fly around catching pets/farming mounts (mounts and pets are all that matters!) and i raid. That is it!
    The theme is ok, its not my favorite, but i dont hate it, and the zones are fine
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”