Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I want a main character, not a bunch of alts

Hello!
    Just before MoP release, about 2 weeks or so, I told myself that I wanted to stick to only ONE character in MoP. A main character which felt like 'home' for me, that this characer is the one I have a good grip on.
    In Cataclysm I had 9/10 level 85's and noone of these characters felt any special for me, just my Feraldruid that I managed to do some DS HC on, but I still wasnt stuck to that particular character.

However, on MoP release day I wanted a character that I've played alot to be my main and I chose my DK which I've been playing on alot since Wotlk release, I felt like it's a class I know alot about (tanking) and had fun with.
    I achieved level 90, had alot of fun doing HC's, dailies and ended up doing some normal MSV raiding with pugs. (I really can't have a raiding guild, irl times won't let me)
    The next week after MSV release, I felt like: "I want to level a new character, this one feels like 'meh' right now." So I leveled my rogue, was superexcited about level 90 and to play a pure dps class.
    At level 90 it was the same thing again: HC's, dailies, MSV norm. Then I felt the same and leveled up a new, which was a warlock this time.
    Same stuff again with the warlock at level 90. And now 3 days ago I took level 90 with my Prot Paladin, now I'm almost full HC geared and I feel like leveling another (AGAIN).

Each time I'm leveling a character I'm superexcited about level 90, it have felt everytime that "This can possibly be my main.". Now I'm considering leveling a 5th character but I really don't want to, but it also feels like this new character will be alot of fun in level 90.

I hope you get it. I'm in need of some help, what should I do to stick to a single character instead of leveling new alts all the time?
    It's getting on my nerves, any help is apperciated.
    Is there anyone out there feeling the same? Lemme hear your opinions.

TLDR is in boldtext.

(Sorry for my English)
    Last edited by Typhod; 2012-11-03 at 10:26 AM.
    Minions... servants... soldiers of the cold dark! Obey the call of Kel'Thuzad!
    *chills*

Find one you enjoy playing and stick to it.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

If that's what you want to do and is what is fun for you, then do it. Don't feel bad for it, don't get annoyed at yourself for doing what you want to do. It's a perfectly valid playstyle.

But if you really want a suggestion, join a raiding guild. They'll generally get you to stick to a single character so it can get geared up more effectively. Of course they like you having alts just in case, but generally speaking you'll know what your 'main' is in a raiding guild.

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Find one you enjoy playing and stick to it.
    That's exactly the problem. I've enjoyed all of them alot until I played with them for a week or so.
    *chills*

Deleted
    If you dont raid with a guild or have a pvp team I dont see what the point is to have a main if you like leveling and gearing up your alts more than playing that "main".

No shame in being an altaholic

I have one main character since beginning of TBC; it was also the first one I created. I knew what I wanted to do in this game, be a healer, be a dwarf etc. However many people I see take a while to find their favourite class.

What I am sure of however is, that you won't stick to one character unless you raid and progress with it or get into very competitive pvp. Get awesome gear and feel the power of that character. Read forums, theorycraft, get on WoL etc. Alts might be fun but they aren't as immersive as a character you get to play extremely well.

I do not understand why you say you don't have time to be in a raiding guild. You managed to level and gear 4 characters in a month. This means you have a LOT of time to play WoW. Just find a guild that suits your play time - whether it's late night or Friday/Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanna View Post
    If you dont raid with a guild or have a pvp team I dont see what the point is to have a main if you like leveling and gearing up your alts more than playing that "main".
    Good point.
    Last edited by Typhod; 2012-11-03 at 10:45 AM.
    *chills*

Deleted
    Play an hybrid class.

As an hybrid, you can do more than one role, if you are bored.
    And you can swap roles with a mere switch of spec. No need to level up another toon.

Druids can do, per example, all 4 roles (tank, healer, melee DPS and ranged DPS).
    Paladins can perform in 3 roles. Shamans as well, and now we have Monks.
    Then you have the "dual-purpose" classes: Warriors, Priests and Dk's.

Bottom line, avoid the Pure DPS classes like the plague (Locks, Mages, Rogues and Hunters).

That's how I managed, as an altaholic, to commit myself fully to my Druid, since half of WotLK until now, in MoP.
    I still have my alts, 8 classes at 85, and then my Druid, at level 90.

P.S.: Be prepared to be asked frequently to heal in Pve and PvP encounters.
    Last edited by mmoc0e82c355ee; 2012-11-03 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zubacz View Post
    I have one main character since beginning of TBC; it was also the first one I created. I knew what I wanted to do in this game, be a healer, be a dwarf etc. However many people I see take a while to find their favourite class.

What I am sure of however is, that you won't stick to one character unless you raid and progress with it or get into very competitive pvp. Get awesome gear and feel the power of that character. Read forums, theorycraft, get on WoL etc. Alts might be fun but they aren't as immersive as a character you get to play extremely well.

I do not understand why you say you don't have time to be in a raiding guild. You managed to level and gear 4 characters in a month. This means you have a LOT of time to play WoW. Just find a guild that suits your play time - whether it's late night or Friday/Saturday.
    I do have alot of time, but the guilds I can find raids on maybe 2-4 days a week almost always during the evenings. If I can find a guild who raids at day time, like 17.00-20.00 then sure, but that's rare.
    Of course I have freetime during the evenings but to have a core spot in the guild you need to attend on most of the raids which can be a problem with unreliable irl times.
    *chills*

What is wrong with leveling alts? You say that each time you work on a new character, or work on getting a previous toon to level 90 that you get excited. What exactly is the problem? LOL, not trying to abrasive, but if your enjoying your time in the game... not sure what the issue is.

If you enjoy the leveling aspect of the game and get excited in doing so, then I'm curious to know where the irritation is coming from?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatao View Post
    No shame in being an altaholic

Exactly this

you should take help from Google to find main characters....

10+ Year Old Account
    I envy you.. I made a DK back in '08 and have ever since tried to level any other class without succeeding. Managed to get a mage and a priest to lvl 84, but then got bored :/ I think the reason for this is that I enjoyed leveling the DK so much back then, so it just became harder and harder over time to change class. I've wanted to make a paladin for 3 years but haven't even started.

Deleted
    I did this, i have every class at 80+ now... biggest mistake i ever made as its hard to focus on one character, the way i got out of it was pick the one you most enjoy and set yourself a long goal on it, for me it was 100,000 hks. (which i hit last night). or if your intro raiding focus on getting into one of the top guilds etccc..

When you get into something you wont even think about leveling

I will always consider my Hunter (first ever character) my main and nothing will ever change that, regardless if I play her the most or my shaman or any of my other 85-90's, my shaman is 90 and my hunter is 89 just about 90 (I stopped for the night) but personally I have fun leveling all of my alts and having a LARGE variety of everything at max level, be it all of the tanks, healers etc. this way I can always help anyone with anything, tank saved? Don't worry I have 4 more, need a healer? Sure which one do you want etc. I enjoy it and that is what I have the most fun with, I don't raid too much anymore (Personal choice), I still love raiding but not a raiding guild kind of thing.

I have a "main" character that I play and then two alts. My main is a paladin who can tank or dps equally well in heroics and raids. My alts are priest (for healing) and mage for big damage numbers and pvp. I spend most of my times outside of raids on my mage because pvp is varied and i'm not very good at it. Which means there's large room for improvement.

Have you tried achievements? They can be fun, and give you more to do on your main toon.

All you seem to have done is level, a few 5-mans, and a raid or two. There is a lot more that WoW offers than that. Of course, if that is all you want to do, then maybe try raiding in other specs? Experiment a bit more? Try alternate strays? Try heroic raiding? Just some suggestions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play what you feel like, don't think that restricting yourself to a single character will make you more happy. In some cases it's the other way around (I'd go insane if I only had 1 character, which is why I have 8 level 85+ characters)

10+ Year Old Account
    I am in the same boat as you.... sort of. I love leveling alts, but I can say that my warlock is my main. Has been, always will be.

If I do something, it has to be done on him first. Not everything, but most everything.

As long as you have one that you consider your main, be happy with that. Leveling alts isn't a bad thing. Think of all the gold you can make from doing so. I am taking my time on my alts, I have 3 90s, but only my lock is geared right now. I am just taking my time on my warrior and DK.

Currently leveling a rogue and a boomkin, no rush though.