Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    shadowburn is an execute ability, ALL executes (except hammer of wrath) one shot people with no defensive cds or absorbs up because they can only be used when a person is on their last legs

---------- Post added 2012-11-03 at 12:05 AM ----------

cant tell if trolling... or actually serious
    cant tell if stupid or not..
    if fear doesnt break from a warlock putting dots and setting up for a chaos bolt.. thats the part people are complaining about..
    trinkets are on a 2 min cd. fear is on a 10 second cd. which one will win
    do you need anymore explaining done?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by casually View Post
    cant tell if stupid or not..
    if fear doesnt break from a warlock putting dots and setting up for a chaos bolt.. thats the part people are complaining about..
    trinkets are on a 2 min cd. fear is on a 10 second cd. which one will win
    do you need anymore explaining done?
    I do. So, in your mind - chaos bolt should never be allowed to land - even when your opponent is CC'd, and if that means CC should not be long enough for chaos bolt to land so be it? In this case, even a 10 second trinket cooldown wouldn't be sufficient against something like an MLS/MLD - because polymorph/chaosbolt+shatter combo still works just fine. Even with a 10 second cooldown trinket, they could just re-fear/poly and begin casting again, so really only a 3 second cooldown trinket would solve your dilemma?

I don't think that's what your actually suggesting, but since that's the only way to solve what your talking about (cc prior to burst) - I think maybe you just didn't think this through very much, please do explain
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

People are saying that locks are made around their burst damage, but imo no class should rely on burst. If a class can do 10x the dmg of another class in burst and half the sustained damage, then they are broken.

10+ Year Old Account
    "52% pvp resillience and 18% pvp damage"
    Thats kind of weak, you should not expect just being able to kill anyone with that.
    Im at 60%resi, 40% power 40% mastery, if you came at me im pritty certain I would still be at 95-100% hp after you where dead.
    Strangly enough warlocks are no problem atall for me.

Pro tip use a sac/spirit bond macro and volla he wont crit you atall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    "52% pvp resillience and 18% pvp damage"
    Thats kind of weak, you should not expect just being able to kill anyone with that.
    Im at 60%resi, 40% power 40% mastery, if you came at me im pritty certain I would still be at 95-100% hp after you where dead.
    Strangly enough warlocks are no problem atall for me.

Pro tip use a sac/spirit bond macro and volla he wont crit you atall.
    Actually Chaos Bolt will still crit through RoS. =/

It's like the immovable object vs the unstoppable force.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocknrule View Post
    Actually Chaos Bolt will still crit through RoS. =/

It's like the immovable object vs the unstoppable force.
    Sure? Lava burst does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Sure? Lava burst does not.
    Yeah. There is a forum post about it on Battle.net

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Nothing should crit for more then 100k on any class! So when an ability crits for over 100k (or hits!), have it only do 100k instantly and then have it apply a dot that ticks out 10% of that overage every second for 10s.

So instead of a 180k Chaos Bolt, it would be a 100k Chaos Bolt with a dot that ticks for 8k every second for 10s. Every ability that does over 100k would get its own separate dot, damage would be completely the same, burst would be lower.
    you realize that wouldnt work in in pve right you would just be resetting the dot without getting max dps out of its duration usually you cast around 2 chaos bolts at once so your losing a good portion of damage by overwriting it.

---------- Post added 2012-11-03 at 12:49 AM ----------

not only is chaos bolt slow to cast its travel time is horrid and its easily spottable if you see one in mid air coming at you do something you have all the time in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Rocknrule View Post
    No, you misread what I said. He was trying to talk about a 1v1 situation were as I was talking about a generic group fight were you have team mates to help you. I'll tell you what, if you throw in fear we have a deal.
    In that case I'm sorry. I must admit that in RBGs Destruction is much more potent, however in arenas it's a nightmare (for the warlock). As for Blood Fear, I think that it's a completely broken spell that needs to go away. But my point still stands, I'd rather have the whole toolkit of any other class, because when you add everything up, warlocks have the least. And don't you make me link the great table of comparison and doom!

Also, to Drakoes: Affliction warlocks were absurd in Cataclysm, hence why their insane representation along with restoration shamans. But I can assure you that Destruction's sustained damage is more than miserable.
    What I'm trying to say isn't that Chaos Bolt is a fine spell that doesn't need changing. What I'm saying is that the reward doesn't go up to the cost, hence why it's not overpowered. Does that mean it isn't broken? Hell no. It needs changing, but not a straight out "nerf the damage", or "add a DoT to it".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    Fear breaks when a fly farts, what more do you want? Make it last 1 second?
    Thank you for that, made me laugh

What you say is true, it feels like a waste of time casting Fear at the moment, because it'll break before I have time to cast another spell.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Thank you for that, made me laugh

What you say is true, it feels like a waste of time casting Fear at the moment, because it'll break before I have time to cast another spell.
    I think the reason some people think fear is so annoying but don't complain about polymorph is that when they see their avatar running away, in their head they're saying "but I'm not afraid, I'm not! this is so wrong, I would be right there whacking them with my sword! Grrrrrrr!" - but when they get polymorphed and can't do anything for the exact same amount of time, they're thinking "oh look how adorable I am as a sheep! I'd love to just stroke my fluffy fur and... oh where did the sheep go? ah right, I was in an arena - back to whacking things with my sword! Man... I miss that sheep now, I hope some nice mage will polymorph me again soon!"

^ That's why people complain about fear, but not polymorph.

a BM Hunter complaining about a Warlock? What madness is this?

People should look at 3v3 Arena performance of a class before calling in "NERF" and not Random BGs

Well, Fear is admittedly stronger than polymorph, since the latter regenerates your health (although Fear has way more counters). And I think that the health regen factor makes it less irritating than Fear.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenexis View Post
    Well, Fear is admittedly stronger than polymorph, since the latter regenerates your health (although Fear has way more counters). And I think that the health regen factor makes it less irritating than Fear.
    Health regeneration would matter if you were fighting some kind of dot class that relied on pressuring you down below 100% health before shatter comboing you to death in a smoke bomb, polymorph health regeneration is meaningless to mage comps - which are all predicated on taking advantage of massive burst via shatter combo + whatever the other player brings. Whats more, mages dont need to use fears on their kill targets because they have roots and counterspells and stuns to keep them in position, polymorph is used purely for CC'ing enemy teammates so they don't become bothersome while the mage is jumping around spamming ice lance.

The reason fear has to have some measure of damage allowed before it breaks is because it's invariably given to classes who require dots on their targets, if it broke instantly on damage dot classes would be at an enormous advantage compared to classes who don't rely on dots - warlocks, priests and warriors (deep wounds) - so they need it to absorb a tick without breaking, but not allow it to be used anything like a stun can (and it doesn't, it breaks on 20% of your base health, so about 10k at level 90?).
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2012-11-03 at 01:59 PM.

No I was talking about the psychological aspect. When you're feared you go on screaming that you're doing nothing but running around mindlessly. When sheeped you tell yourself: Well I'm where I got to and can't do anything, but at least I'm regenerating health! I'm purely stating the effect it has on people's minds. I agree that polymorph's health regen barely has any effect in comps, but it's about what people "feel", if you know what I mean.

---------- Post added 2012-11-03 at 02:02 PM ----------

Hence why Fear is perceived more badly.

Deleted
    "I mark him and sting him" - why use serpent sting, its waste of a global.
    Mark him if you are far away, pop CDs + stampede, stun him, if he trinkets, silence him.

kill him in the 3-4 seconds where he can't move and/or get rid of the pets, use readiness for double exhileration if you for some reason let him do damage to you.

If your silence isn't ready to take his casts that destroy you, just bait them with deterrence. if you get really good at this you can even get the glyph of mirrored blades and make him oneshot himself.

---------- Post added 2012-11-03 at 03:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    Locks need some nerfs. No class should be able to hit someone for 50%+ hp in 1 hit. Idc how much ramp up time or how long their cast time is.
    So what do you suggest? just take the damage away?

you are not fucking thinking...

And no, i play a hunter myself, i haven't played a lock at max level since vanilla, that and monk are the only classes i've never played in arena - if they nerf destro locks though, there's no point in playing it. chaos bolt is easy to stop, but if you don't you should pay for it

Deleted
    Warlocks are definitely op!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenexis View Post
    In that case I'm sorry. I must admit that in RBGs Destruction is much more potent, however in arenas it's a nightmare (for the warlock). As for Blood Fear, I think that it's a completely broken spell that needs to go away. But my point still stands, I'd rather have the whole toolkit of any other class, because when you add everything up, warlocks have the least. And don't you make me link the great table of comparison and doom!

Also, to Drakoes: Affliction warlocks were absurd in Cataclysm, hence why their insane representation along with restoration shamans. But I can assure you that Destruction's sustained damage is more than miserable.
    What I'm trying to say isn't that Chaos Bolt is a fine spell that doesn't need changing. What I'm saying is that the reward doesn't go up to the cost, hence why it's not overpowered. Does that mean it isn't broken? Hell no. It needs changing, but not a straight out "nerf the damage", or "add a DoT to it".
    Well I know Blizzard is creating a new spell for Destro called Cataclysm to help them get Chaos Bolts off. Apparantely the spell they created wasn't working too well so they went back to the drawing board for it. But when they do get it right you should probably find it much easier to get off Chaos Bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    Locks need some nerfs. No class should be able to hit someone for 50%+ hp in 1 hit. Idc how much ramp up time or how long their cast time is.
    Agreed. This change needs to be made across the board to all classes capable of this from ele shammies to destro locks to warriors to bm hunters etc

Obviously there should be compensation for some classes. Replacing TfB with something that actually increases warrior skillcap would be great. Giving destro a little bit more sustained for nerfing chaos bolt to hit for 50% of someone's hp max would be fine.

Wait come to think of it, I think this game would be better if those specs were hit with nerfs with no compensation. In all scenarios the burst is a "cherry on top" instead of something being there because they're lacking in other regards.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2012-11-03 at 06:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Agreed. This change needs to be made across the board to all classes capable of this from ele shammies to destro locks to warriors to bm hunters etc

Obviously there should be compensation for some classes. Replacing TfB with something that actually increases warrior skillcap would be great. Giving destro a little bit more sustained for nerfing chaos bolt to hit for 50% of someone's hp max would be fine.

Wait come to think of it, I think this game would be better if those specs were hit with nerfs with no compensation. In all scenarios the burst is a "cherry on top" instead of something being there because they're lacking in other regards.
    Nerfs without compensation? How do you kill a healer, heck even a warrior with secondwind, when you only have "sustained dmg"