Will melee rogue souls be more viable in Storm Legion raiding?

Ive haven't played rift since 1.9 and I have only raided Hammerknell and other lower raids on my rogue i was forced to play ranger or Marksmen hybrid specs becuase the raid group always told me they were the only viable ones. Will they make melee rogue souls more viable? becuase i would love to go around rocking my daggers as nightblade or sin raiding. Im thinking about coming back just for the expac.

Quote Originally Posted by dashflash890 View Post
    Ive haven't played rift since 1.9 and I have only raided Hammerknell and other lower raids on my rogue i was forced to play ranger or Marksmen hybrid specs becuase the raid group always told me they were the only viable ones. Will they make melee rogue souls more viable? becuase i would love to go around rocking my daggers as nightblade or sin raiding. Im thinking about coming back just for the expac.
    Viable =/= optimal

If you cleared hammerknell then there is no reason you couldn't have done it with a different soul. If your raid constantly dies at 1% then yea it might be worth it to go the top dps spec at the time but if your raid is dying to something else then your souls dps isn't the issue.

Melee was always fine in Rift. A lot of our top DPS players ran every content tier as melee.

By the nature of the question being asked it is highly [highly] unlikely the OP was a progression raider. Optimal spec are only valid in progression raiding. There is no reasonable way to answer the OP's question because it is a false premise.

If you are not progression raiding; can probably show up as a Bard/Assassin/Riftstalker and be "okay".

By the nature of the question being asked it is highly [highly] unlikely the OP was a progression raider. Optimal spec are only valid in progression raiding. There is no reasonable way to answer the OP's question because it is a false premise.
    I left out the word "progressively" in my example. If DPS in your raid is whats keeping your raid from progressing then yea going the top dps soul if you keep dying at 1% might be a good thing. However if that isn't an issue then you should play either what you like or if a soul has a specific mechanic that will make life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I left out the word "progressively" in my example. If DPS in your raid is whats keeping your raid from progressing then yea going the top dps soul if you keep dying at 1% might be a good thing. However if that isn't an issue then you should play either what you like or if a soul has a specific mechanic that will make life easier.
    Yea, exactly.

Melee dps souls are designed to be superior dps on dummies in Storm Legion.
    Right now Rogue dps is insanely well balanced to I expect Rogue Melee to be fine in raid encounters, assuming they aren't overly melee unfriendly.

I have a rogue in my guild that loves rogue melee and as soon as 1.11 hit he made his BD spec and he kicks ass on fights. It also does some mean aoe, but of course has some weaknesses in heavy movement fights - or anti0melee boss mechanics. Still in stationary fights he will usually win out on dps as melee.

I apoligize if BD is wrong, I thought it was a BD spec - but it's definitely melee.
    Last edited by slime; 2012-11-04 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I have a rogue in my guild that loves rogue melee and as soon as 1.11 hit he made his BD spec and he kicks ass on fights. It also does some mean aoe, but of course has some weaknesses in heavy movement fights - or anti0melee boss mechanics. Still in stationary fights he will usually win out on dps as melee.

I apoligize if BD is wrong, I thought it was a BD spec - but it's definitely melee.
    Bladedancer is definitely one of the rogue top DPS specs currently. It also provides a debuff that I believe makes it practically a requirement for every raid to have at least one Bladedancer. So yes, even in bleeding edge progression a melee rogue is "viable."

As was somewhat stated already, if you are not bleeding edge progression, it really doesn't matter what you are. If you are not in a bleeding edge progression guild competing for server firsts and your raid/guild leaders are telling you to spec something other than what you enjoy playing, tell them to piss off. Unless you are in a bleeding edge progression guild competing for server firsts you should play what you enjoy and not let anyone tell you what to play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dashflash890 View Post
    I'm sorry it appears the raid group you were with definitely did not do there Rogue Homework before going into HK :P

In Hammerknell both 49 Nightblade/17 Assasin and 32 Assasin/20 Riftstalker/ 12 Marksman were considerably higher in dps than Marksman and ranger for the following fights:
    -Murdantix
    -Matron
    -Sicaron
    -Zilas
    -Vladmal
    -Grugonim
    -Estrode
    -Akylios

Some fights like Inquisitor and Rune king for example were very melee unfriendly so marksman came out ontop, but using a melee over ranged spec you were doing at least 25% more dps.

Anyways back to your previous question!, It seems that there will be a LOT of variety amongst viable raiding specs for rogues come Storm Legion and at this point in time melee specs at level 60 (Although not to much testing has been done by players on this) are coming out on top as apposed to ranged ^^

I refute Seatin's comment.
    There has been an absolute truckload of Rogue parsing at level 60, they put all us other classes to shame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I refute Seatin's comment.
    There has been an absolute truckload of Rogue parsing at level 60, they put all us other classes to shame.
    Warriors > All

True Story

Quote Originally Posted by Seatin View Post
    Warriors > All

True Story
    And.. the worst story in Rift.
    This unbalance (pvp more so) probably drove away many rift players. There are 3 other classes trion - I say fuck warriors in SL, nerf them to shit.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    And.. the worst story in Rift.
    This unbalance (pvp more so) probably drove away many rift players. There are 3 other classes trion - I say fuck warriors in SL, nerf them to shit.
    ...Are we playing the same game?

Warriors at the moment aren't terrible, but at the same time, Champion is completely broken at the moment. At least testing on the beta as well they are outclassed in melee by Harbingers.

I mean, Warriors have had their OP moments, but so has any other class, bards at the moment are insanely OP apparently, we had the problem with healers where things just wouldn't die (as in, Purifiers were insane for a time, but they nerfed the bubbles in PvP) Mages had their moments as well (Though that was a while back, though they aren't bad now.)

In the end though, I will say, just nerfing one class to shit isn't a good thing, no matter what, that's the opposite of balance, get everyone on the same playing field at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatin View Post
    Warriors > All

True Story
    I meant in volume of parses and feedback given, not DPS output.