Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Says the guy with the caps lock issue.

I guess it's the whole "if I use big letters, I'll stop being wrong" thing.
    More like, if i use big letters, maybe people will actually open their eyes and think about it. It usually doesnt work on these forums so i rarely use the caps strategy.

Ganking happens on a PvP server. To me that's "part of the game" and "part of the fun." Even stupid things like training an elite, killing a quest giver, etc. are part of that when done in moderation, while passing by, as revenge for something the player did (killed your quest mob or whatever), etc.

However, I think threads like these and PvP realms in general tend to be filled with crummy people who use "It's a PvP server, if you don't like it ... blah blah blah" as an excuse to get off intentionally ruining other people's playing experiences by putting them in "no win" situations for as long as possible. Just because something is not against the rules, not bannable, etc. doesn't mean it's not lousy; like dumping the entire bowl of candy on your neighbor's doorstep into your bag on Halloweeen instead of just taking one piece. "Well nothing says I can't", "They were stupid to leave a bowl of candy out like that", "Somebody else would have done it," etc.

Similarly the "Need to blow off some steam" excuse is so trite, like the people who don't engage in trying to prevent other players from playing don't have hard lives outside the game, are never stressed out, and don't know what it feels like to have a bad day...

Interestingly, in every situation over the years in WoW or any other MMO where I've been able to play turnabout on a player or players who were deliberately trying to prevent me from playing the game -- whether it's because they were bad players or because they were previously camping one of my lowbee alts and I came back with my main or because the odds were uneven -- I wind up with them and/or several of their friends whispering me about what a jerk/arse/horrible person I am, essentially for not "letting" them to have their fun on a PvP server, as though they are entitled to it. These people are bullies or passive-aggressives who want to claim victimhood for being despised on the grounds that their behavior is "allowed by the rules."

Frankly, they can be bullies all they want ... nothing says they can't be, but they are not ENTITLED to an ounce of respect for doing what they do. They need to learn to get overthemselves just as much as they people who get ganked a few times a day on a PvP server do.

IMO

Deleted
    Being pissed at being ganked while not having a main is something you should accept, but you should NOT accept that you cannot take back your revenge when youre on your main and the pvp target is avoiding contact 100 yards up the sky.

I already made a thread about this and noone agreed with me.

I have been thru hell. I have leveled in a pvp server on vanilla without having the option to sit on my * in the city and queueing to bgs/instances. I thought "when i hit lvl 60 i will take my revenge" and so i did. Not gonna happen anymore in this state of pvp servers and dont expect anything to change cause the majority of players seems to gank and spit on low levels while flying away from their mains.

Who am i kidding, everyone pves on my server.

And yeah GZ to me for taking down the same spec/class arena master title 1v1 with ease.
    Last edited by mmoc664e732ce0; 2012-11-02 at 11:07 PM.

Deleted
    I love world PvP, hell back in Cataclysm I even leveled an Alliance rogue so I could gank people (of my own level) because there's no Alliance on my server.

However I don't see the point of ganking and camping low level chars, not at all. What's so thrilling about hunting down someone with 1% of your HP while flying an 310% mount (418% speed with guild bonus) when he or she is trying to escape on an 60-100% mount without any kind of chance to do anything whatsoever. There's simply no point in doing that aside from griefing and being to cowardly to face people your own level of whom there should be plenty in Pandaria.

Most of the time I simply ignore low level chars, only times I went out of my way to kill them was when I saw several of them gank up on another low level from the other faction.

I'm leveling an alt now on a PvP server, and CRZs are making me level mostly by sitting on my flying mount waiting for queues to pop. I don't like dungeon leveling, but with gankers at every quest hub I go to, I'm tired of corpse-hopping. Gratz to Blizzard - by introducing CRZs, they have taken a player out of the world. Smart people there.

Once I get my rogue up to 90, I think I'm going to spend some time ganking lowbies in Outlands. I'm frustrated enough with leveling in CRZs that it makes me want to PvP against people who have no chance to fight back. That's what Blizzard wants apparently, so I'll be happy to oblige them. I'm done bypassing lowbies in other zones or helping them out when they pull too many mobs. It's time for them to visit the spirit healer instead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by discoepfeand View Post
    Gratz to Blizzard - by introducing CRZs, they have taken a player out of the world. Smart people there.
    Actually, gratz to you, for choosing to play on a PvP realm when you clearly can't handle it.

People complain when there's nobody out there, and people complain when there's too many people out there. Blizzard can't win. Nevertheless, you knew what PvP realms were all about when you made the conscious choice to create your character on one.

If it seems like it's too much you, then see if you've got any friends on a PvE realm. Have them invite you to a realID group, and you should transfer to the PvE realm. You'll be all safe and snug then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Actually, gratz to you, for choosing to play on a PvP realm when you clearly can't handle it.

People complain when there's nobody out there, and people complain when there's too many people out there. Blizzard can't win. Nevertheless, you knew what PvP realms were all about when you made the conscious choice to create your character on one.

If it seems like it's too much you, then see if you've got any friends on a PvE realm. Have them invite you to a realID group, and you should transfer to the PvE realm. You'll be all safe and snug then.
    What a load of bull. I've been playing on a PvP server (which was evenly split for the first 2 years, when I did most of my leveling) since 2004. I've never had an issue with PvP until CRZs were introduced. I've been killed lots, I've killed lots, and it's all been ok.

But the prevalence of level 85+ players on flying mounts camping lowbie zones is not fun for leveling. If those people want PvP, they could PvP against people their own level. But you're not going to convince me, and I'm not going to convince you.

If I didn't have 10 characters, my guild, and 8 years of friends on this server, I'd move to a PvE server. But instead I'll just sit in a capital city or on a flying mount and queue dungeons to level. Yay for CRZs to get people back into the world!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by discoepfeand View Post
    the prevalence of level 85+ players on flying mounts camping lowbie zones is not fun for leveling
    I've just recently, within the past week or so, leveled a monk from level 1 to currently level 61, and the only time I saw any high level players camping lowbie zones was at the Dark Portal. I saw plenty of people from pretty much all of the EU realms. Just no high levels camping. I got ganked by a passerby mining or something some two, three times. PvP action, even against people of my own level, has been a fraction of what it was back in the day for example in Stranglethorn. So, your anecdotal evidence of CRZ making the zones a camp fest has just been countered by my anecdotal evidence stating otherwise.

It could be that you're just a gank magnet. Perhaps it's your character name? Perhaps you just got unlucky. Who knows. The few times I've been killed I've logged on to my level 90. Obviously a good idea to have a "Sheriff" character at the ready, as it has always been.

I don't know what kind of ghost town realms you've played on in the past, but it doesn't really make a damn difference whether you get camped by someone +5 your level or someone +50 your level. You still die. Repeatedly. That's how it's always been. That's how it should be. That's what PvP realms are all about.

Also, eight years of playing on the same realm? How on earth do you not have all your 10 characters at level 85 by now? Obviously Pandaria is going to have PvP action. That's something you can't even complain about. So what's the problem? The monk should really be the only character you're leveling now. Furthermore, eight years of friends? Well hell, how about you level with them? How about you ask if any of them could watch your back a bit? What kind of friends are they if their time is more precious to them than lending a hand? I know I've spent countless hours with my friends, boosting them through instances, helping them out in the world, acting as a taxi to them with my 2-seater rocket, and so on.

If you want to sit in a capital city, that's your choice, but so far you don't have a leg to stand on with your complaints about CRZ.

All combat is fair on a PvP server. There is no such thing as honor or dishonor in an MMO, because one player will always have some advantage over the other no matter what. This is the nature of MMOs. If you roll on a PvP server, any player with a red name should be considered an enemy. If you have a moral obligation to killing low levels, good for you, but there is nothing wrong with doing it either, and you should not expect others to spare you. I consider myself a highly moral person in general, but in a video game, I kill my enemies on sight, unless they helped me out in the world with something. People can gripe all they want, but there really is no dishonor in this. If you want to avoid it, roll on a PvE server. If you want to avoid being called a care bear, toughen up and deal with the warfare of a PvP server.

Deleted
    I've found ganking a lowbie can actually make the community more fun. I was bored and cruising through Hellfire the other day on my Lvl 90 blood DK, and I saw some low level fellow Hordies capturing the three bases. A Lvl 90 Allie Shaman was at one of them. I killed them and then thought I would go to Honor Hold in case he went to call for help. While I was there, I saw a Lvl 60 DK come out of the inn and one-shot him, and then left because the shaman never turned up. About 5 minutes later, I see spam "Thrallmar is under attack!" I get there and there's about five Allies running round nuking the place. There were some other 90 Hordies there too as it happened who had turned up for the action. There's an almighty bought and we eventually cleared them out, and then we went on the offensive straight away and razed Honor Hold to the ground. The same Allies and a load more arrived and cleared us out and attacked Thrallmar again. It went on like this for about an hour and it was great fun, starting a small-scale war from killing a single innocent lowbie.

OT: I've died enough times while levelling to Alliance players one-shotting me for fun. I expected it. In those cases I would log my main, go find them and kick their ass til they don't come back. I see nothing wrong with killing people on a PvP server. If you're just letting them live all the time, why play on a PvE server?

Is it morally ok for a Corporal to kill an enemy Private First Class in war? Yes? Ok then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulm View Post
    If your sole purpose right at the moment is to go to a low level zone, find a lowbie, and kill them, then yes I think it's immoral.

If you are otherwise doing something productive (Loremaster achievement?) and someone just happens to cross your path, then no I don't think it's immoral.
    Is it only immoral to kill an enemy player in a RP game, or is it immoral to kill a lot of other things as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by transorD View Post
    While I admit that I'm absolute trash at PVP, I understand that some people enjoy it, and I don't mind world PVP in the least. What I don't understand is someone who makes their personal goal of the game to be preventing other people from playing it.
    That's the crux in MMOs with PvP, all of them.

People don't mind rolling on PvP realms, as they like to PvP. But when they can't even play the game itself to get to the point to enjoy it end-game, that's where the frustration begins.

It's the sub-set that believes in killing everything "just because" that hurts the PvP genre in itself. They're killing not only their young, those otherwise interested.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    Most people only have issue with being camped. I'd guess the majority who roll on PvP realms can handle the odd death when being unfortunate enough to cross the path of a higher level enemy. Much like when you stray too close to a patrolling elite.

The problems occur when you become the victim of camping. When this happens you lose the option of playing that character in that time and place. The camper gains nothing from it other than a feeling of power. Defeating something that doesn't stand a chance. Much like stamping on ants.

Quite a few people are too quick to use the "it's a PvP realm, suck it up" excuse for this kind of behaviour. Do you really think it was Blizzard's intent for PvP realms to be used for the camping of lower level characters?

Just because certain people play the game exactly how they like, with no thought for anyone else behind another character does not mean Blizzard intended it to be done that way and does not give validity to your reasoning. Similar, in essence, to the LFG loot system being able to roll need on off-spec items. Sure you have the option to do it, but you don't have to do it. You are choosing to do it. And you are choosing to do it because you want to do it. Don't be as weak in real life as you appear to be in game by hiding behind an excuse anyone with half a brain can see through.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

Your CRZ group seems to be rather empty. In my case they combined a whole bunch of high population PvP realms and it's a constant brawl at most hubs. Questing has become nigh impossible. I'm playing on a PvP realm since BC and it never at no point has been like that. There was never a time when on a single leveling player there were about 10-20 gankers on flying mounts circling above them waiting for someone unfortunate daring to quest.

I've leveled an Alliance char on my server which has about 95% horde just so I could gank people on max level and it has been nowhere near as bad as it's now. People aren't complaining about PvP or world PvP they're complaining because it has become impossible one some CRZ groups to actually quest or level outside of dungeons and battlegrounds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mswhiskerson View Post
    Most people only have issue with being camped. I'd guess the majority who roll on PvP realms can handle the odd death when being unfortunate enough to cross the path of a higher level enemy. Much like when you stray too close to a patrolling elite.

The problems occur when you become the victim of camping. When this happens you lose the option of playing that character in that time and place. The camper gains nothing from it other than a feeling of power. Defeating something that doesn't stand a chance. Much like stamping on ants.
    Precisely.

But in the end, all they're doing is hurting the very thing they're screaming to get...more PvP...by chasing otherwise interested players away.

They don't want at level PvP, they simply want to overgear it and take lowbies out, instead.

Heck, that's not even PvP, that's just NPC farming.

Pretty confused players, I'd say.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by reboot-me View Post
    I truly don't understand why people complain all the time about that. They choose to come on a pvp server and this is part of the game. There's absolutely no moral question here.
    I don't understand why people complain about getting shot in NYC. I mean, they knew the risks when they chose to go there. It's part of life. There's absolutely no moral question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    When anyone rolls a new character on a PvP Realm, the game gives you fair warning of the consequences of doing so.
    Let me stop you right there. No, it doesn't. It doesn't give any indication that seemingly common sense things are thrown out the window.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think ganking is perfectly fine from a moral perspective. I even don't even think camping is wrong because you're either A: flagged up on a PvE server and lost a battle against someone who you thought you could handle or B: on a PvP server where the entire point of the server is to have an anything-goes world at war. Either way you've consented to PvP and all the excitement/frustration that comes with it. If you had no choice in the matter your camper would be a dick, but that's not the case in WoW PvP. At all times, people cannot kill you unless you give them permission.

With that said, if you spend 30 minuets camping someone, you may be a vengeful person. Is it within the rules to camp? Yup. Did they sign up for such frustration when they flagged? Yes again. However I think most people get bored after the 4th or 5th kill. If you're spending any longer than that camping someone, you might just have some unresolved anger issues

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was leveling my 2nd toon (pally) 85-90 I was at level 89 and hoping to get to 90 that night. I had a shadow priest corpse camp me litrally for 3 hours.. I could not fly so there was no escape, I would slowly run to the flight path and fly away but he just flew right next to me then gank me as I landed. It was about 3am at that time so nobody could help me. Was very frustrating, I would queue dungeons and wait to get it, Once i got out he would be there lol. Ended up just logging out for 30 mins and he was gone. I dinged and the next day he made an Alliance toon and congrats me on 90. Was funny :P

I think its ok to gank once or twice, but camping is just shit. Even if its not happening to me, I don't see why you would want to make somebody that miserable.