Page 21 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nevermind what I said before. Nothing like GA other than the class archetypes.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: Listed below are (my) ignorant assumptions:

I'm thinking about just dropping the $20 for the beta access (not usually something I do, but the game looks great, PvP looks awesome).

The only reason I haven't yet is because it reminds me A LOT of Global Agenda.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-11-02 at 02:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone happen to have an extra Firefall beta key? Have a few friends in it right now, but none of them have got any extras in a long time.

I am very interested in a beta key, some how this game slipped under my radar and looks really cool

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Nevermind what I said before. Nothing like GA other than the class archetypes.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: Listed below are (my) ignorant assumptions:

I'm thinking about just dropping the $20 for the beta access (not usually something I do, but the game looks great, PvP looks awesome).

The only reason I haven't yet is because it reminds me A LOT of Global Agenda.
    Honestly, it's a lot like Global Agenda as far as gameplay. You have a jetpack and you shoot stuff. there's a class like the Robo that drops healing and gun turrets. instead of tanky assaults you have the dreadnaught and the assault. the talent/battleframe system is way more in-depth. The crafting is almost identical. It's better in most areas, the few annoying things like the travel time and battleframe system can be frustrating at the beginning,as they're somewhat difficult to understand, but other than that It's just great. most of the game isn't out yet tho, so it feels very basic like GA, but after the campaign is up and all of the features it will resemble a fully functioning mmo.
    Last edited by Varyk; 2012-11-03 at 07:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn, I didn't even know there was a thread on this game here on MMOC. I've been dying to get my hands on a beta invite for a while now > < If anyone is feeling generous enough to give me one I'll forever be in your debt
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

Man I wish I had a beta key for this

*edit* Just realised how many people are asking for BETA keys, sorry to add to the spam!
    Last edited by Schmiggy; 2012-11-03 at 07:21 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone have a spare key? Prob the only beta I cold not get into.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Some Impressions so far...

Holy freaking smokes...this game is very, very good. I decided to ante up and pay for a key instead of just making assumptions as to what it would be like (as I did in my last post). I usually don't write walls of text but I think this game actually deserves it. Zero regrets on spending $20 thus far.

First, game is actually challenging while still being fun.
    Gameplay feels crisp and well thought out. Gathering resources for crafting is a blast. Calling down a Thumper and then having to protect it from the wildlife it attracts for as long as possible (or till its full) is such a cool concept. Some of the wildlife will go for the Thumper, some of it is more interested in making you their next meal, some will agro whichever is closest to them. Their attacks can hurt, a lot, (the exploding bugs can do 50% damage each with the upgrades I have now) so staying mobile is key. Standing in one spot expecting to trade blows just isn't an option in most cases. Even the starter level Thumpers feel like you are flying by the seat of your pants so pulling off a 100% completion for a Thumper has a lot of satisfaction to it.

The dynamic events range from being solo-able to definitely requiring a decent sized group. The war with The Chosen feels immediate and important as they can end up taking spawn points and towns (similar to Rifts invasions). Going after their drop pods (usually consisting of the pod and 3-4 Chosen that spring from it) is best suited for 2+ players but I'm sure someone with enough upgrades or some top notch skill can probably solo them. Anything beyond that and groups are pretty much a must have.

The Melding Tornado dynamic event is A LOT of fun but you can get wrecked if you don't watch yourself:

There are no 'levels' per se in the game, but XP that you gain is used more like a currency to buy skills or make better/different weapons/equipment available. You can also use one of your resources that you gather from Thumpers (and that drop off mobs) to unlock additional battleframes which essentially makes the game 'classless'. I could load out for Assault (dps) for PvE and then switch over to a Dreadnaught (tanky) or Biotech (healer-ish) for PvP. This gives a lot of variety with one character as different battleframes have different weapon choices and special abilities.

Second, the game is gorgeous.
    None of the videos I've seen so far do it justice in the least. The world, the terrain, the UI, and even the quasi-3d map are done extremely well. The world, or the small portion of it not controlled by the melding and available for travel is still very large. I don't know if I can compare how big but even with jumpboots and gliding it can take a while to get where you might need to go for a quest. I think there are more dynamic events near the border of the Melding which open up more of the map as they are completed. The map available for travel has grown in size since I've started playing and independent of where I'm questing or what I'm doing.

The game feels like Gears of War had a baby with Borderlands. That baby grew up and had a one night stand with Team Fortress 2 and Starship Troopers. The mix of wonderful genetics created Firefall. I've played every chance I've had since last night and find myself wandering off into the world just to see what's out there, lay down a Thumper and gather resources, or fight The Chosen. None of it feels repetative as the challenge is always there and the Thumpers never attract the same volume, selection, or intensity of mobs. Questing, for me, just gives me a general direction to travel in but I find myself doing a lot of other stuff in between. The time-warp factor for this game is off the charts. I'll sit down to play for a little bit and look up to find that several hours have flown past.

One little thing I've noticed and I think it pretty neat is that the closer you are to the melding the shorter the days are and the longer the nights are. Night will also come on more immediate the closer you are. The game looks great during the day, but is absolutely beautiful at night. The lighting effects and illumination from flashlights, spots lights, and fires are really well done.

I will try to get a beta keys out if I get any extras. I really wish you could get a certain number for buying into beta like I did. Even an extra three or so to pass around to other MMO-C members. This is probably the first game in years that has turned me from skeptic to full-blown fanboy.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-11-03 at 08:03 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Intriguing HBpapa hmmmm....

Deleted
    Hey guys,

I'm giving away 2 Firefall Beta invites in exchange for:

- Dota 2 Beta OR
    - Path of Exile Beta

Just PM me if you're interested.

Thanks!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just came across this from the official forums. Someone set up a key exchange so you can put in a request and people from all sources can give away their extra keys. Just another avenue for those waiting for keys:

http://firefallkeyroller.appspot.com/

Source.

Got two beta keys I'm willing to give away, two first who mail me will get it.

I have a third beta key, but not willing to share it with just anyone, it's a good game and I don't want to waste it on people like myself. I might consider sending the last one if you mail me and tell me just why you deserve it.
    Last edited by Ulvhedner; 2012-11-05 at 07:26 PM.

I would love a key aswell, been trying to get one every possible way for years it feels, but nothing. Would be much appreciated!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    hmmm im sure the "team" aspect will go to hell with all the people that dont know what to do or just refuse to listen
    think of it as raiding with a bunch of just dinged 85's

oh and seeing as its f2p im sure itll have a cashshop which unbalances it even if they say it wont
    ^This bolded section, have yet to experience an F2P game that isn't completely broken or unbalanced due to the mini cash shop. Not even trying it despite having some excellent names on the paper for developing it.

I'd love a beta key! Been trying to get 1 for quite a while so would be much appriciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    ^This bolded section, have yet to experience an F2P game that isn't completely broken or unbalanced due to the mini cash shop. Not even trying it despite having some excellent names on the paper for developing it.
    There's always a first. And with the massive interest people have in this game, they might gather enough people so they won't rely on directly selling player power

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    I'm hoping it doesn't head in that direction. They are billing themselves as an e-sport and going P2W would kill their potential on that front.

Right now the only things available to purchase are:
    -20% xp boosts. There are different duration boosts depending on how much you spend. XP is pretty easy to come by and I've been able to complete 10% on all three Tier 1 battleframes I own in just a few days.

-Cosmetics...different colors/graphics on battleframes). Squads/guilds in the game are big on having their own color combos. There are also hats, tiki masks, and stuff.

-Extra battleframe slots. The first is the 'class' you start with (for free). The next two can be had for 1,000 Crystite each. 1k of that stuff takes about 2 hours to get as you do quests, farm nodes, kill/push back Chosen, etc. Beyond that you have to pay for extra battleframe slots. Since you can switch battleframes and load-outs at the spawn point at any time in PvP I can see this being a good seller.

-Non-combat pets. Haven't seen these yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    I'm hoping it doesn't head in that direction. They are billing themselves as an e-sport and going P2W would kill their potential on that front.
    Only ways to P2W in an FPS is an increase in damage whether it be a flat bonus or an overpowered weapon. If they ever introduced either I think it will drive away a lot of hardcore FPS gamers who are used to an even playing field.

The things purchasable so far are fine, cosmetics and "convenience" items.

Got a spare Planetside 2 Beta key, willing to trade it for a Firefall beta key. PM me.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Too bad it is F2P.