Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    i am, i really miss wotlk. bring back lich king!

man thats racist you should think before you post.

I like the Asian theme, I like the music, I LOVE the bosses and raids so far.

What I don't like is when events in Mogu'shan Palace 5 man pronounce their "Ls" as "Rs" and sound like a stereotypical actual Chinese person. I literally did a double take the first time I heard that, it was rather jarring.

But overall, love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only theme I find annoying is the mogu theme. I feel the mogu buildings are much too repetitive between instances. Though the architectural components have many intricacies, I don't feel that the structures themselves have enough details inside... just like Burning Crusade. They're just kind of all long, empty hallways... and this bugs me.

As for the "Chinese theme," it's the "heavy chinese" themed zones that I feel are the best... Jade forest is one of the greatest zones in the game, bar none. The zones I feel are the weakest are the "unique" zones, Townlong and Dread wastes (the latter is saved by the Klaxxi being so awesome.) I can't get a sense of what exactly is they're supposed to be... they're just bland and "there..." I think Townlong would have fared better look wise if it looked more like Kun-lai's arid plains, and Dread Wastes would have been better if it were some form of desert or arid chaparral (you know, like "wastes" usually are.)

Any complaints I have about other buildings/construction are ones I've had since Burning Crusade... gigantic buildings with only individual rooms inside. This is mostly due to WoW's slap-dash use of scale (try comparing the height of things like windows, doorframes, wall mortar levels to the height of your character sometime,) but I think it would do them good to be a bit more... conservative... with their room layouts. Temple of the Jade serpent is massive and impressive, but only actually contains three interior rooms and two hallways... But again, this is more of a complaint about things WoW has been doing for quite a while. Wasted opportunity more than anything, especially for something they could get really detailed with.

Otherwise, the only dissolution between this expansion and other expansions is that we're actually acting pretty much on our own accord here at max level, instead of being the Alliance/horde's extended errand bitch... at least for now.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Im actually liking it... But im not raiding anymore and just shitting around with friends
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

Love the theme cause it's not entirely based on the Asians. There are inspirations from the culture but that has always been there. When I first started playing the game and heard Dwarfs, it immediately rang a bell. Same with Worgans. Taurens. And where the hell did the inspiration for Blood Elves came from? The male model especially (I hate the male BE model).

References always existed, heavy amounts in some cases. You just seem to notice the Asian theme? Tbh, there is nothing Asian about Dread Wastes, Karrassang (SP!), Townlong or even Kun Lai. Kun Lai reminds me of Himalayas. And if u didn't know already, Himalayas spread across 5 countries and has a lot of cultures involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culnar
    Sometimes people act like blizzard is their friend who betrayed them and now they're pissed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    Actually the backlash from pandas is because alot of the people didn't grow up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
    This ''war'' is a big waste of time. Meanwhile the Burning Legion is growing stronger than ever, while we kill ourselves over stupid reasons. In anime you get a filler arc in the middle of the storyline, and what happens in the filler arc doesn't matter at all after it ends.
    I do not understand what has this anything to do with anime? This is how even real life works, that's why people are stupid and wars are irrational. Even Mass Effect copied it. And what do you want the lore to become? Small little divided planet marching on an attack against a faction that conquered and devoured countless worlds? Right.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2012-11-04 at 08:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love this expansion so much, it might be my last. This expansion is perfect in every way, and I just can't see it getting any better. I might just go out on a high note.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

i could have loved this xpac more if they maybe have made it more like "the last samurai" rather than "the drunken master" this entire xpac seems stupid with a bucket of talking zoo animals thrown in it (fish , monkeys , rats , bugs lizzards..) quests upon quests just to get rid of rabbits and rodents and coocking food and cleaning farms..
    the panderans are fat food and drink focused yet can fight empty handed everyone with their spinning leg, instead going classic blizzard style they went kong fu panda satirical style..

and here is a one big fact for you, if none of us have stepped on pandaria , there would be no sha and no problem at all with pandaria, no reason at all going there...
    WAR? warcraft if out for 20 years with the theam "war" between ali and horde..no1 won untill now and no1 will ever win..so this xpac is redundant

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeldruid View Post
    I mainly think that the entire "Hey guys, here's this continent we didn't know existed!" idea a bit boring. We went to Outlands to defeat a threat that invaded our lands. We went to Northerend to defeat a threat that invaded our lands. We went to Pandaria because... we lacked recourses? I think that it is a boring plot. I don't mind the setting, but the entire purpose of the expansion is faint to me.
    Everyone knew Pandaria was out there somehwere. The idea it came out of nowhere is false. The only people who seem to be surprised are the mental athletes who argued for years that Pandaren didn't count as a race even though Pandaria was a detailed setting in the D20 RPG manual going back to 2005.

And maybe you weren't paying attention to the Jade Forest intro, but it was a lot more than resources that brought us here. But it's pretty clear you've barely been paying attention anyways.

---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 05:01 AM ----------

It's laughable that the biggest criticism most people can come up with is that they want another world threatening doom and gloom monster villain of the hour as if that's an improvement. It's also telling.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    The Asian theme feels entirely too forced imo, with no central villain, and no real plot line, it just gets annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    The Asian theme feels entirely too forced imo, with no central villain, and no real plot line, it just gets annoying.
    If you're Asian (like I am) any Asian theme produced in the West, feels like Western ideas of Asian food...chop, chop or served buffet style.

It's not how we live or eat, and seeing it produced (and to play in for 2 years) is really a turn off. It's like an Italian forced to accept Pizza Hut as Italian food, period.

I can't stomach MoP for many factors, but the Asian theme (especially after 3 years of that pet being that stereotypical, only thing missing is the racial slurs) that relates to NOTHING in a Western style MMO, was the final straw. Add CRZ, it's time to move on.

Only way I'll return is via a WotLK only expansion server. As you can't ignore an expansion on live servers.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    I'm tired with the asian theme pretty much everywhere. Fucking manga characters everywhere being used as avatars, signatures and what not. Manga emotes everywhere: ^_^. People speaking japanese words like it's the new Black. Etc, etc. It's like Justin Bieber suddenly got very popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    I do not understand what has this anything to do with anime?
    He has a point: MoP is filler.

Like Cata, it really doesn't have a point. It's Blizzard trying to create something new, since WotLK was the last of the WC content to copy.

The selling point from vanilla to WotLK was those who played the classic versions of the game could play it in a MMO. After WotLK it's totally new territory, and the shine of the past the players enjoyed died with the LK (that sig, is very, very true).

Blizzard now has to create new stuff, and stuff that relates little to what made their player base to begin with.

I didn't come to WoW to play with pandas, for example. I came to play a Holy paladin. It was the Western MMO theme of Elwynn and Sentinel Hill that got me to subscribe, it was WotLK that kept me in the game (what more could I ask for for a story? Central villian that is evil, and 100000000000000001 undead to kill).

Now? The game doesn't even resemble Asian horror, where at least there's some undead for a paladin to smite.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

I'm guessing people don't like the asian theme because it feels so foreign to them, all the old themes are basically european(except for bc), and eventhough wotlk was all norse inspired, it was all about the norse and vikings, people dont mind that because since its white european its more "neutral" to them and they dont think of it as some overbearing foreign culture pervading an expansion.

I liked TBC the best, just because it was all over the place, had bits of everything. This theme seems more concentrated in one general blend, so I can see why it would put people off a bit in MoP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    He has a point: MoP is filler.

Like Cata, it really doesn't have a point. It's Blizzard trying to create something new, since WotLK was the last of the WC content to copy.

The selling point from vanilla to WotLK was those who played the classic versions of the game could play it in a MMO. After WotLK it's totally new territory, and the shine of the past the players enjoyed died with the LK (that sig, is very, very true).

Blizzard now has to create new stuff, and stuff that relates little to what made their player base to begin with.

I didn't come to WoW to play with pandas, for example. I came to play a Holy paladin. It was the Western MMO theme of Elwynn and Sentinel Hill that got me to subscribe, it was WotLK that kept me in the game (what more could I ask for for a story? Central villian that is evil, and 100000000000000001 undead to kill).

Now? The game doesn't even resemble Asian horror, where at least there's some undead for a paladin to smite.
    That's your own shortcomings NOT Blizzards - WoW isn't a horror game

Warcraft has always being about friction between races... Filler or not the story makes sense. The big bads have been defeated so without a distraction old tensions have rerisen... A perfect time for the Legion to set plans into motion

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Anyone else feel the same? Despite my constructive criticism, I am excited to see how defensive people get over this.
    So, you basically admitted that the whole point of this thread is to get a rise out of people. /golfclap
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    If you're Asian (like I am) any Asian theme produced in the West, feels like Western ideas of Asian food...chop, chop or served buffet style.

It's not how we live or eat, and seeing it produced (and to play in for 2 years) is really a turn off. It's like an Italian forced to accept Pizza Hut as Italian food, period.

I can't stomach MoP for many factors, but the Asian theme (especially after 3 years of that pet being that stereotypical, only thing missing is the racial slurs) that relates to NOTHING in a Western style MMO, was the final straw. Add CRZ, it's time to move on.

Only way I'll return is via a WotLK only expansion server. As you can't ignore an expansion on live servers.
    I was wondering how people with Asian heritage viewed the expansion. I had my suspicions that it was blatantly stereotyped and pandering (lol). I guess the target demographic is white people that like the thought of "Asian stuff", but have no clue what's authentic and what isn't?

Never been much into asian culture, decor or architecture so I purchased this expansion with much trepidation. But I will have to say it is not as bad as I expected, still not a big fan of it...just not as bothered by it as I thought.