Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Taking to much damage (Apparently)

Double Posted

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 10:31 AM ----------

Hi Guys

During a few random heroics it has been stated by a couple (not all just a couple) of healers that i am taking excessive damage compared to other tanks, I understand my stam may be a bit high but i have reforged what i can to the best of my knowledge, im also aware there are a few upgrades for me to get:
    Neck
    Helm
    Cloak

I have been playing a warrior for a long time so i believe my rotation is ok, I cant see much wrong with my spec either at least there is no more damage reduction abilities, i have reforged where possible to Mastery and gemmed to include gem bonuses and straight stam in Prismatic sockets.

I just got the Heroic Mastery dodge trinket from a heroic last night so can drop a stam trinket now but is that all i can do ?

Open to suggestions so please help if possible.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Bundey/simple

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 10:23 AM ----------

Update:

Askmrrobot is saying to reforge Parry and Dodge from multiple items to Mastery, wowreforge said im all good in the reforge department, Help
    Last edited by Orange post it; 2012-11-05 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Double Post :(

Reason why you're taking too much damage in a hc dungeon: 75% player, 5% gear, 20% healer

I'm tanking every dungeon in my DPS gear and even new level 90 healers can heal me without big problems.

Make sure to position yourself properly (all mobs ahead of you) and to use your cooldowns whenever available. Most of them have such a low cd that you can spam them.

EDIT: Working link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...undey/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange post it View Post
    I have been playing a warrior for a long time so i believe my rotation is ok
    This may not be true for you...but I believe it to be true for some: just because you have been doing it for a long time doesn't mean you have been doing it right or that things haven't changed. I used to play with so many 'I've been playing since vanilla, I am a veteran...therefore I am awesome' players before I realm transferred who were absolutely awful. For tanks especially a lot really has changed. Like I said it may not apply to you...but veterans who struggle with their class sometimes need to take a half hour and brush up on their core class mechanics and recent changes.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Deleted
    You have more HP than I do on my nearly epic geared tank (And I have killed the first boss on heroic in MV - so you know its not too little).

My advice for you; Drop your stamina gems - They do nothing but give you a bigger sponge, if you are taking too much damage increasing your health pool isn't going to help (with heroic 5 mans and normal raids in mind)

Pick a playstyle and follow it. You clearly want an all round gear set that works in all situations but is master of few. With a little bit of research you can find out a lot of information to reduce your damage due to using active mitigation and gear setup (reforges, gems etc) in perfect synergy.

Practice and sort your gear and you will be fine.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies, silliest thing sprung to mind, i have not been using shield wall or last stand often, still in the mindset i might need that soon, forgot about the smaller cool downs, that will help immensely, What a noob huh

Are you getting enough rage to use shield block reliably? I'd reforge more hit and expertise personally. And your health is fine.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    heyy im gemming stamina to be different kind of tank, 600k shout buffed wont hurt me!

Quote Originally Posted by tears View Post
    heyy im gemming stamina to be different kind of tank, 600k shout buffed wont hurt me!
    translation: I'm gemming stamina so I look tanky but take much more damage and will rely on having amazing healers who know how to manage their mana because I will need more heal than other tanks

Stam stacking isn't a good option unless you are progressing content way undergeared and even then hit/exp-cap might be worth more if you can't reach it with reforges alone.

OP it might be good to glance over the guide stickied here, that's kinda what it's there for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    Are you getting enough rage to use shield block reliably? I'd reforge more hit and expertise personally. And your health is fine.
    His health is FAR too high.

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    His health is FAR too high.
    It's not that his health is too high, his other stats are too low.

EDIT: Looking back over his gear, any of the yellow or red slots should be pure expertise or mastery and blue should be probably expertise/stam. Reforge some hit/expertise so you can mitigate some damage.
    Last edited by idefiler6; 2012-11-05 at 02:44 PM.

I couldn't see your armory but from what i can read on your post i would regemm for mastery.
    I haven't tanked with a warrior before but as with all tanks stacking stamina aint a valid option anymore so try to adjust your gems and improve your playstyle and use your shieldwall as often as possible

Quote Originally Posted by meteo View Post
    translation: I'm gemming stamina so I look tanky but take much more damage and will rely on having amazing healers who know how to manage their mana because I will need more heal than other tanks

Stam stacking isn't a good option unless you are progressing content way undergeared and even then hit/exp-cap might be worth more if you can't reach it with reforges alone.
    There is nothing wrong with stacking stam. Tanks with more HP will get gibbed less, however, since avoidance is lower it will require more healer mana to keep the tank up. If healer mana isn't an issue, more stam is usually the best choice (especially in less experienced raiding guilds).

Mathematically, mastery is the best stat - however - your healers will have to react faster to health dips, since it takes less "unblocked" hits to die.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    It's not that his health is too high, his other stats are too low.
    Just arguing semantics though aren't you? I mean his health is high/other stats low because he's gemming stamina, which causes both issues.

Get hitcapped and as much expertise as possible.

Avoidance is useless when you can perma-barrier yourself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by superdooper View Post
    There is nothing wrong with stacking stam. Tanks with more HP will get gibbed less, however, since avoidance is lower it will require more healer mana to keep the tank up. If healer mana isn't an issue, more stam is usually the best choice (especially in less experienced raiding guilds).

Mathematically, mastery is the best stat - however - your healers will have to react faster to health dips, since it takes less "unblocked" hits to die.
    But then again you are swapping 40k HP with 10-15% reduction in melee damage (seeing as SBlock should be up all the time anyway). So really, the stamina is completely wasted as you almost gain effective health by going mastery over stamina.

No no no no no no no no no no no.

Hit/Expertise. Then Mastery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post
    No no no no no no no no no no no.

Hit/Expertise. Then Mastery.
    Both are correct, it depends on the boss. Personally Master > Hit/Exp is the more useful as most bosses are melee hitters and you still get hit stats for SBar.

Mastery > Hit/Exp = Melee boss
    Hit/Exp > Mastery = Magic boss

Stamina is not nearly as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

While the days of pure stam stacking are seemingly over it's a still good to have a reasonable buffer that allows your healers some reaction time. Also don't forget that stam is your only saving grace (bar Sbarrier) for magic dmg of which there is a lot in MV.

As for the OP. I'd suggest you make sure you get 7.5% hit and 7.5% exp. After which go for mastery. Getting to 7.5% hit/exp will give you the rage gen to use Sbarrier and Sblock more often which will mitigate the damage you take. I would recommend removing your parry/stam and 320mastery gems for exp/stam(red) and mast/stam(yellow) and keeping your 240stam gems in blue sockets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by meteo View Post
    I'm tanking every dungeon in my DPS gear and even new level 90 healers can heal me without big problems.
    I'm doing exactly the same. The stats don't change that much but you gain like 15%+ crit which is pretty huge. A tank with high Vengeance on 25% crit is pretty devastating.

@OP
    Regarding damage taken...just know which mobs do what kind of damage and act accordingly. Most of the time what rips off your pants are caster armies or enraged melee adds.
    For casters make sure to pull them around a corner so they are clumped up in one spot. You can control them with Reflect, Shockwave and Disrupting Shout.

I only use Block if I actually take heavy damage. If I don't I keep spamming Heroics/Cleaves.

DPS will help out in most cases. Dead mobs do no damage.

If I have to pull 3 packs I do:
    Charge+Clap pack 1, Leap pack 2, Charge+Clap pack 3 -> run around a corner/pillar (if casters)

And don't be afraid to use Shield Wall on huge add pulls.

As a tank I once did Gekkan in full dps+shield (tank spec) without a healer and 3 dps. Second Wind kept me from dying (this and running from the rogue stun). Normally you are unkillable in any heroic. You can easily solo any normal pack with Second Wind. You need a healer if you pull 2+ packs.

On that notice. You can stay in your tank gear if you have no dps gear. Just make sure to get 7.5% hit and 15% expertise. You will love it.
    Last edited by mmoc48efa32b91; 2012-11-06 at 09:04 AM.