Page 23 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    Yeah because the newest champions are never overpowered and never nerfed after people buy them. Good example.
    and those new champions can also be bought with ingame currency and not part of your "oh but we must spend $$$$$ to keep up with the other big $ spenders in all F2P games hurr durr!"

I just don't think the MMO dynamic can handle a F2P game at all. It will always give away something that requires other players to pay up for. For LOTRO it has succeeded but it's never a game that is taken seriously, no real PVP, PVE is kind of meh.
    That is your opinion, many enjoy it. You asked for an example, I gave you one. Not having a P2W F2P is very possible as a few existing examples already show. Planetside 2 is going the same way. So is Firefall. It costs you absolutely nothing to wait it out and see for yourself if they keep to their promise.

Then perhaps you'll have a legit reason to whine.
    Last edited by Grable; 2012-11-05 at 02:15 PM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    That is your opinion, many enjoy it. You asked for an example, I gave you one. Not having a P2W F2P is very possible as a few existing examples already show. Planetside 2 is going the same way. So is Firefall. It costs you absolutely nothing to wait it out and see for yourself if they keep to their promise.

Then perhaps you'll have a legit reason to whine.
    Well I will be very surprised when Firefall crashes and burns, their economic strategy is doomed.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 06:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Oogly View Post
    and those new champions can also be bought with ingame currency and not part of your "oh but we must spend $$$$$ to keep up with the other big $ spenders in all F2P games hurr durr!"
    I can't translate half of your teenage text, plz update me.

Keep it civil
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-11-05 at 02:33 PM.

Well I will be very surprised when Firefall crashes and burns, their economic strategy is doomed.
    Because you seem to have such vast knowledge that only P2W works right?
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Because you seem to have such vast knowledge that only P2W works right?
    I don't have a vast knowledge of anything. I just know that this game will not last. I'd like it to be a great sub game that could compete, but it won't be and F2P/P2W players have less of an investment in things that they *BUY* as opposed to earn over months. So they will quit when the going gets rough, and it will end.

I can't translate half of your teenage text, plz update me.
    Ok here ya go.

Your an moran.

We gave you examples on why f2p games can suceed as a model yet you keep going "I can't hear you lalala". At first I was against the free to pay model but after a while I started to warm up to the idea. Here watch this video, it might help clear your vision some.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/microtransactions
    Last edited by ngc2440; 2012-11-05 at 02:34 PM. Reason: clarity issue

I don't have a vast knowledge of anything. I just know that this game will not last. I'd like it to be a great sub game that could compete, but it won't be and F2P/P2W players have less of an investment in things that they *BUY* as opposed to earn over months. So they will quit when the going gets rough, and it will end.
    And just how do you know this game wont last or compete? By making some silly assumptions that the devs are lying and that the cash shop will include pay2win items?
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

So far ex-Blizzard guys have brought us Guild Wars 2 and Torchlight II.(and Hellgate...) so it's worth keeping an eye on.

And just how do you know this game wont last or compete? By making some silly assumptions that the devs are lying and that the cash shop will include pay2win items?
    Well I will come back in about July 2013 and we will see if this game even exists then.

Well I will come back in about July 2013 and we will see if this game even exists then.
    Might not even be released by then so you're off to a good start lol
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

RIFT was made by ex-WoW Developers...

SW:ToR was made by ex-WoW developers...

Elder Scrolls: Online is being made by ex-WoW developers...

...now this one...

I mean, how many ex-WoW developers are there? What the hell is the turnover rate at Blizz? :P

Anyone have a spare key? I'd love one. Please send me a pm if you have one.

So my computer isn't able to handle the current beta. All graphic settings are set to low.

Specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00 GHz
    Memory: 6GB RAM
    Video: Radeon HD 6450
    DirectX 11

It's probably my video card, which I've been putting off upgrading because I need to buy a new power supply. At least now I'll be forced to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by methwow View Post
    Funny cause League of Legends is F2P and its the biggest game in the world

even in Competetive Esports its the biggest
    the community is what people have a problem with. without a subscription people can just make a new account if they get banned. Subscription games also require people to have a source of income (usually a job) (don't respond with "everyone has parents"....obviously thats true for some people) which often indicates a person is more mature/responsible and won't act like a complete jackass. Of course a lot of people on the internet are assholes, but this is far more prevalent in free games rather than games that cost money. a game full of internet tough guy 13 year olds isn't some place a lot of people want to be.

I will say this tho, I've been playing the game for about a week now, and I haven't encountered a single rude person. Most people are actually super helpful and polite. I do usually play after 10pm so maybe the "kids" are asleep, but it's been a pleasant surprise.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    So my computer isn't able to handle the current beta. All graphic settings are set to low.

Specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00 GHz
    Memory: 6GB RAM
    Video: Radeon HD 6450
    DirectX 11

It's probably my video card, which I've been putting off upgrading because I need to buy a new power supply. At least now I'll be forced to do it.
    your cpu is better than mine (I have an older xeon) but I have an oc'd 6670. I can run the game on medium/high settings no problem. I did have a shitload of problems the first night (I don't even know why), after that it's been completely fine.
    Last edited by Varyk; 2012-11-05 at 11:35 PM.

I only tried playing once because I was afraid it would screw up my card if I kept trying to push it, but I'll try going back on now and see if anything changes.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

...now this one...

I mean, how many ex-WoW developers are there? What the hell is the turnover rate at Blizz? :P
    As far as I know LoL is also made by ex-Blizzard developers (not WoW tho).

OT:

Just watched the video. The game looks interesting enough for me to give it a try.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just submitted a revised OP to Edge as the information on the front page is outdated and lacking on several details. Hope it helps give people a better feel and understanding of the game. Please let me know if I've missed something once its up.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

...now this one...

The fact that one of the larger game studios loses developers/artists/etc is not news. It's pretty much expected.

You are imagining that all of them left out of 'creative differences', but most of them were just let go after they broke their backs building Blizzard from the ground up. I mean the guy who practically designed battle.net and the mpq file system they still use for every game hasn't been with the company forever. They use you up, then toss you out. It sounds horrible, but it's really not.

Most people let go after games have finally released go on to do things they want to from a personal perspective, with the friends they made at Blizzard. Since they are no longer dealing with such a large corporate structure, it makes sense that their games take steps outside of the box and tend to be well received.

Seems decent, but if they use the same shitty graphics style as Boarderlands you can count me out. And from the video that is exactly what they have.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really a big fan of the setting but I'll probably still give it a try at some point. Wasn't really a fan of the SWTOR setting either, almost didn't try it but was pleasantly surprised when I did. Maybe this one will surprise me too.