Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Burst spell gather orbs

Shadow priests need some form of increased burst dps, why not add a simple new spell
    Gather Shadow Orbs
    Cool Down; Minuets
    Effect; THe priest generates 3 Shadow orbs for 10 seconds. After the 10 seconds any shadow orbs the priest has are removed.

This would be a very nice increase in dps for the start of a fight.
    Last edited by mmoc95a392c543; 2012-11-05 at 01:25 PM.

Priests are already viable. But I like where you're going with this idea!

I was really sad when they removed AA from the Spriest skill set. A DPS CD would make me happy. A change I would make though to your proposed CD is to make it a 3 minute CD that lasts 10 seconds and instantly provides us with 3 orbs during the duration. Imagine that CD with your VE+glyph, holy moly the damage and healing!

Deleted
    Yeah that sounds good. During the 10 seconds we have 3 shadow orbs, and after the 10 seconds any shadow orbs we have are gone.

Deleted
    WONTFIX: OP in PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it really that big of a deal that it takes a little longer than some classes to ramp up your DPS? This sounds like prep but for shadow priests, and I can see it being kinda insane in PvP.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea but maybe it could be tweaked to something similar to what Balance druids have right now where you channel it for 6 or 9 seconds (2 or 3 seconds per orb) so that in PvP it can be interrupted but its means that for PvE you can have 3 orbs to start a fight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    Is it really that big of a deal that it takes a little longer than some classes to ramp up your DPS? This sounds like prep but for shadow priests, and I can see it being kinda insane in PvP.
    Yes, it is.

Until Cata, warlocks used to have to gather soul shards which were used for CDs/burst. They'd have to PvP outside to get their bag full. This is fixed, they now start with full soul shard (destruction does not but does start out with 1 burning ember). In Cata it was also fixed and warlocks gained soul harvest to get full shards.

Boomkins had the same issue in Cata as priests have now (which makes me feel ?puzzled? that they implemented the orb system as-is). They'd need to get into the right eclipse. On some fights, you could fight critters to get into the right eclipse and yes the first pull you could get into right eclipse from trash or even last boss (if on farm) but it was rather cumbersome. If you left instance and rejoined you'd have lost your eclipse. Solution? Allow the boomkin to channel to get into the right eclipse.

Why not allow shadow priests to channel to gain orbs much like warlocks had with soul harvest and boomkins have with astral communion? My bags now contain items I can kill to get 3 orbs but its rather cumbersome and they have CDs, too.

Deleted
    Having a 3 orbs up all the time as a CD is much like ascendance for ele shams - allows you to spam a high damage attack without cooldown. Something even more similar like no CD on MB would possibly be better as chain spamming DP isn't that optimal really.
    Last edited by mmoca983f76f3c; 2012-11-05 at 06:13 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    There are a few spiders in the corners of the hallway leading to Elegon's room. Random, I know, but this seemed like the right place to mention it I killed them many times over our dozens of wipes...

I do feel like it is a bit less fun to play Shadow now that we don't have a real DPS CD to use. It also feels like it limits our choices in trinkets as the only real time we can use an on use trinket is if we are going to be using it with Mindbender/shadowfiend which doesn't seem as useful as Mindbender doesn't line up as well as shadowfiend does. This in turn makes us favor proc trinkets a bit more, which means tracking a lot more buffs and makes our rotation a bit more complicated, which is fine.

However, I think that we will end up scaling pretty damn well with gear. Making us really strong late game. If I remember correctly it was the same in Cata, we weren't all that strong at the start, about where we are now, but by the end we were insanely strong, and the only reason mages were better was the legendary staff that all of them had. (We had it to, but it was arguably better for them then us.)

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Until Cata, warlocks used to have to gather soul shards which were used for CDs/burst. They'd have to PvP outside to get their bag full.
    That is definitely not how soul shards worked before Cata. I don't remember them being used for any kind of offensive ability or cooldown, and all you had to do to gather them was Drain Soul a target dummy until you had a full soul bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Quote Originally Posted by Ameri View Post
    I like the idea but maybe it could be tweaked to something similar to what Balance druids have right now where you channel it for 6 or 9 seconds (2 or 3 seconds per orb) so that in PvP it can be interrupted but its means that for PvE you can have 3 orbs to start a fight.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I really don't get why we can't have full Shadow Orbs pre-encounter :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Ameri View Post
    I agree with this completely, it's what I've been thinking about for some time. It's very frustrating that (within reason) there's no way to get three shadow orbs before the boss, apart from the first pull (which on progression, is going to be your worst pull most likely) from the trash beforehand!
    Last edited by Potatodots; 2012-11-05 at 11:12 PM.

Deleted
    Shadow priests never had any dps cooldown before tier 13 4set bonus and our rump up time always was low...imo i don't care about how i will start the fight and i believe shadow needs some buffs in single target more than a pre fight orbs gather spell..If blizzard decide to buff power infusion and make it equal to DI and ToF then we will have a viable dps cooldown..And tbh i believe this will be very strong in PvP ..imagine 3orbs boom DP with shadowfiend as well...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blargh312 View Post
    That is definitely not how soul shards worked before Cata. I don't remember them being used for any kind of offensive ability or cooldown, and all you had to do to gather them was Drain Soul a target dummy until you had a full soul bag.

Try way before cata when there was no target dummies, also shadowburn , summons etc all costed a shard.

Spriest could use a dps CD, if you think about it they have ZERO atm.. Shadow dps is just a small reasonable list of priorities, with absolutely no risk or excitement. Faceroll. Did I mention they don't have a single dps CD? I doubt there is another spec in the whole game without at least one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Spriest could use a dps CD, if you think about it they have ZERO atm.. Shadow dps is just a small reasonable list of priorities, with absolutely no risk or excitement. Faceroll. Did I mention they don't have a single dps CD? I doubt there is another spec in the whole game without at least one.
    Uhm. Shadowfiend hits very hard and has a cooldown...

Shadowfiend is a global's worth shoot and forget button with a cooldown, it only proves my point further.

Quote Originally Posted by eviltouch View Post
    Shadow priests never had any dps cooldown before tier 13 4set bonus and our rump up time always was low...imo i don't care about how i will start the fight and i believe shadow needs some buffs in single target more than a pre fight orbs gather spell..If blizzard decide to buff power infusion and make it equal to DI and ToF then we will have a viable dps cooldown..And tbh i believe this will be very strong in PvP ..imagine 3orbs boom DP with shadowfiend as well...
    Spriests had AA as a DPS CD. Also their Single Target damage is great from what I can tell. The only issue is that there isn't a whole lot we can do to control how our damage builds up. Such as trying to get into a phase switch above 20% (Where you don't have ToF or SW), we are basically doing the same thing that we've been doing and relying on the other classes to use their CDs to make sure the phase push happens. While other classes have CDs that can ramp up that damage alot faster in a controlled fashion.

I personally would just be satisfied with AA again, I miss that thing. RIP.

Deleted
    wtb AA back, preferably without the evang mechanic but I'm not fussy