Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What Are Your Concerns For 5.1's Story? [Spoilers]

With 5.1 seemingly getting closer and closer to release I though I'd get pessimistic.
    While 5.1 looks great I have my concerns about the story in some places. I've also noticed there seem to be a few posts recently with about 5.1's story.

Currently I'm concerned they may throw Vereesa too far over the edge that one of the few High Elf leaders may wind up going rogue or maybe even so far that we may need to attack or confront her.

Secondly and personally most importantly for me I'm slightly concerned about the Alliance brawlers guild quests I've been hearing about. While by itself it's nothing bad, finding an SI:7 agent there is fine.
    What concerns me is that the Horde don't have an equivalent currently and I'm not sure if that's intentional or if it's just late to the party. I have a bad gut feeling that there's a chance that this may be the Alliance's story arc equivalents of the Horde's questing with Lor'themar and/or Vol'jin etc etc.

I'm also a little concerned about Tyrande's presentation as a bit of a twit. She's never been useless and her being schooled by Varian to big him up just annoys me as she essentially used as fodder for Varian. I don't expect her to be like she was in WC3, the Night Elves have changed but this portrayal of her makes me cringe.

Finally I'd be rather dissapointed if Velen didn't show up in 5.1 and was put on hold to 5.2. One of my problems with the current Alliance story is that it's very Human heavy and has a distinct lack of racial leaders when compared to the Horde of whom have 4 racial leaders and Thrall involved, whereas the Alliance is sitting on Varian and Tyrande with Anduin and Jaina of whom aren't racial leaders.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-11-05 at 08:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    My biggest concern is that in order to make each and every player hate garrosh and everything about him blizzard will go to far and put something completely absurd. Like making garrosh experiments with sha result in mantid old god ressurection (don't deny that with direction current lore is going it is possible). I really don't want to see anduin wielding thrall, riding baine to battle against good ol "old god did this".

10+ Year Old Account
    My concern. well, I'm concerned about Vol'jin obviously, that Garrosh tried to have him killed and instead he made him mute, which I hope isn't permanent, I want to see how Trolls and recover from such injuries.
    My other concern was Anduin of course, the thought he'd be killed, but as it turns out he's survived, yet meant to be crippled. I was pegging anduin as a leading force for resolving matters of peace between sides enough that both horde and alliance would settle there differences enough to take down Garrosh, also I hoped to see him get Jaina to stop acting like Varian.02, since it's not a good path of characterization for her, its kinda sucks.
    #boycottchina

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My only concern is that we'll be left on a HUUUGEEE cliff-hanger and we'll be waiting months upon months to see the next parts.

10+ Year Old Account
    My concern is how they will be able to balance the story and how the portray the characters. From what I have seen they are doing good but since this patch is supposed to be the first story step in the 5.X patch cycle they need to do it right.

I also don't want more characters to get more screen time than others. We need to see them all like Velen and Tyrande who have really been ignored. Every race should be shown here and not just the human vs orcs Blizzard were pushing at with the cinematic.

My final point is the overall quests. In the past the Horde get the best and greatest while the Alliance get some rushed piece of crap (opinion here). The Alliance needs to get some serious attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm concerned Rommath will leave Dalaran without getting the chance to set Vereesa aflame. This troubles me.

But no, not a whole lot. They're pacing the build up to Garrosh's big downfall quite well.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2012-11-05 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    With 5.1 seemingly getting closer and closer to release I though I'd get pessimistic.
    While 5.1 looks great I have my concerns about the story in some places. I've also noticed there seem to be a few posts recently with about 5.1's story.

Currently I'm concerned they may throw Vereesa too far over the edge that one of the few High Elf leaders may wind up going rogue or maybe even so far that we may need to attack or confront her.

Secondly and personally most importantly for me I'm slightly concerned about the Alliance brawlers guild quests I've been hearing about. While by itself it's nothing bad, finding an SI:7 agent there is fine.
    What concerns me is that the Horde don't have an equivalent currently and I'm not sure if that's intentional or if it's just late to the party. I have a bad gut feeling that there's a chance that this may be the Alliance's story arc equivalents of the Horde's questing with Lor'themar and/or Vol'jin etc etc.

I'm also a little concerned about Tyrande's presentation as a bit of a twit. She's never been useless and her being schooled by Varian to big him up just annoys me as she essentially used as fodder for Varian. I don't expect her to be like she was in WC3, the Night Elves have changed but this portrayal of her makes me cringe.

Finally I'd be rather dissapointed if Velen didn't show up in 5.1 and was put on hold to 5.2. One of my problems with the current Alliance story is that it's very Human heavy and has a distinct lack of racial leaders when compared to the Horde of whom have 4 racial leaders and Thrall involved, whereas the Alliance is sitting on Varian and Tyrande with Anduin and Jaina of whom aren't racial leaders.
    I think I can assuage a few of these concerns.

The Brawler's guild will have a Horde equivalent located in Orgrimmar. If it's not currently active on the PTR, it will be soon.

As for the Alliance equivalent of the Vol'jin and Lor'themar story arcs, you actually discussed some of them later in your post (Varian, Tyrande, Anduin, Jainia quest events, etc). The basic idea Blizzard seems to be going with is while the Horde becomes even more divided the Alliance becomes more united. The Brawler's guild overall seems to be like the Darkmoon Fair in 4.3, utterly irrelevant to the rest of the patch and included only because it happened to be ready at around the same time.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

My main concern is the same as always, orcs and humans getting the spotlight. We are not just playing Warcraft anymore, it has evolved to more than just those 2 races and that should show.
    I recall a blue post mentioning that "blood elves have been neglected recently". I wonder if this was a troll or if they actually think that they have done a good job representing every race (for both alliance and horde) equally in the story.

On the topic of Jaina's reaction to the events in dalaran. If Jaina had became the leader of the kirin tor and immediately thrown the sunreavers out for no reason then obviously that would be unfair, but that isn't what happened. She allowed them to stay within the city and they took aggressive action against the alliance by moving the horde troops into a major alliance city. Their expulsion is completely justified.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

Deleted
    I think the quests for alliance and horde seemed pretty balanced at the moment. Seems to me like the fight for the bell will be for both factions, infiltration of Darnassus will be Alliance, then the purge of Dalaran is both, then freeing the sunweavers is Horde. Vol'jin being poisoned will be Horde and Anduin getting attacked will be Alliance. Seems pretty balanced there.

Sorry if there's anything directly contradicting that, it just sounds like that's how it's going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Falrinn View Post
    I think I can assuage a few of these concerns.

The Brawler's guild will have a Horde equivalent located in Orgrimmar. If it's not currently active on the PTR, it will be soon.

As for the Alliance equivalent of the Vol'jin and Lor'themar story arcs, you actually discussed some of them later in your post (Varian, Tyrande, Anduin, Jainia quest events, etc). The basic idea Blizzard seems to be going with is while the Horde becomes even more divided the Alliance becomes more united. The Brawler's guild overall seems to be like the Darkmoon Fair in 4.3, utterly irrelevant to the rest of the patch and included only because it happened to be ready at around the same time.
    What he means that, instead of having lore quest dealing with faction leaders and specific races, like the Horde have with Lor'theramar and Vol'Jin, Alliance will get lore quest involving, 'this random agent, or 'insert no-name human leader here'.

My biggest problem is that my main's (human mage) guild's GL decided he didn't like Pandas and didn't want to raid, meaning I now play my former alt I guess new main... on the horde side. Just in time to what, be a bad guy? Be booted out of Dalaran? After playing alliance for the entire time the game has been out? Grrr.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    My biggest concern is that in order to make each and every player hate garrosh and everything about him blizzard will go to far and put something completely absurd. Like making garrosh experiments with sha result in mantid old god ressurection (don't deny that with direction current lore is going it is possible). I really don't want to see anduin wielding thrall, riding baine to battle against good ol "old god did this".
    My biggest concern is similar. But instead of reviving an Old God, he kills Anduin for real.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    I'm actually really stoked we're finally seeing some internal strife in the factions and some old unused characters coming back into the spotlight.

Also pretty stoked we're seeing faction leaders actually move out into the world and get involved. They only EVER do that in the Warcraft Novels.

Best expansion by far. At least we're seeing some war in WARcraft.

Which could be anything war related not just AvH.

Mostly concerned about the Alliance staying who they are. Oh and...not much. I'm pretty impressed with the writing. I'm concerned on mechanics atm. I WISH I could do a Blood oath with Vol'Jin but I'm not Horde
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I'd voice them but *points to sig and bites tongue*. The Horde has a much more interesting and engaging storyline, the Alliance has more human centered story, showing other leaders (Tyrande) as inferior idiots while Horde leaders come to the head and show they aren't idiots. Metzen said Tyrande would do something epic and I'm still waiting. Maybe he got Tyrande and Lorthemar confused? I'll probably be playing my Blood Elves a lot more in 5.1 than my Night Elves as things stand.

Deleted
    I have bigger concerns that we will get more bugs wich will make Faildaria worse then its now with all the screwed up api/quest bugs

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    My concern. well, I'm concerned about Vol'jin obviously, that Garrosh tried to have him killed and instead he made him mute, which I hope isn't permanent, I want to see how Trolls and recover from such injuries.
    My other concern was Anduin of course, the thought he'd be killed, but as it turns out he's survived, yet meant to be crippled. I was pegging anduin as a leading force for resolving matters of peace between sides enough that both horde and alliance would settle there differences enough to take down Garrosh, also I hoped to see him get Jaina to stop acting like Varian.02, since it's not a good path of characterization for her, its kinda sucks.
    I believe the mute aspect of Vol'jin is only going to be prevalent in the novel. I recall Stackpole discussing it briefly during the Q&A vid at the NYC Comic Con. To paraphrase, he was asked he was dealing with the troll accent, and his was response was that since Vol'jin was getting stabbed in the throat, he'd be vocally mute and would have to relearn how to speak again. He emphasized with one of the other guys that was with him (actually there were two others, I just can't remember who they were XD) that he would speak again, but it wouldn't be the same. So....I guess Stackpole's gonna cheat a bit. I'm assuming that our run-ins down the line with Vol'jin ('cause we will, they said so) will come after he's recovered more.

As for Anduin, there hasn't been nearly as much released on his side of the story. If Velen's involved in his recovery, I have little doubt he'll get pretty much back to normal. I'll agree with you that he really needs to be involved in knocking more sense into Jaina. From the looks of things, NO ONE is liking where her development is going.

I'm hoping that what we've seen already barely scratches the surface of 5.1, 'cause if not, us lorehounds will be chomping at the bit again in a very short time....and Shadows of the Horde isn't out until mid April.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lavannah View Post
    I'm hoping that what we've seen already barely scratches the surface of 5.1, 'cause if not, us lorehounds will be chomping at the bit again in a very short time....and Shadows of the Horde isn't out until mid April.....
    That means Shadows of the Horde would have to cover lore content for 5.2, arguably Thunder King/Zandalari story lines ending in a showdown. I can't see 5.1 being on PTR til April, it's probably something we'd see early 2013 at the latest

The upcoming Darnassus info to me is a huge letdown. Night Elves made to look like incompetent idiots once again. Humans come to save the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    That means Shadows of the Horde would have to cover lore content for 5.2, arguably Thunder King/Zandalari story lines ending in a showdown. I can't see 5.1 being on PTR til April, it's probably something we'd see early 2013 at the latest
    Nah, 5.1 will probably get released around december-ish, since ptr testing can last up to two months or so depending on the amount of content. Stackpole and the two other guys in the Q&A panel said the book would encompass most of the stuff that goes on in 5.1, but in a lot more detail than in game. We won't miss out of anything if we don't read the book, but we will get a better detailed look at Vol'jin's recovery/journey thru Kun Lai with Chen, hence it's title.

Quote Originally Posted by babo7000 View Post
    What he means that, instead of having lore quest dealing with faction leaders and specific races, like the Horde have with Lor'theramar and Vol'Jin, Alliance will get lore quest involving, 'this random agent, or 'insert no-name human leader here'.
    That's not really an issue here as far as I can tell.

Sure many of the characters in question aren't technically racial leaders, but they are hardly no-name characters either. Jaina for example isn't technically a racial leader but is probably a bigger character then half the existing racial leaders on either faction.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.