Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    In before "The Native Americans were the first settlers!"
    lol yea they're native to Asia they crossed the Bering Strait when it was froze over.

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    First EU settlers were Vikings in Greenland IIRC.
    Were there others before them that traveled here without the use of the icy path the natives used.

Were the vikings the 1st to do such a thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Were there others before them that traveled here without the use of the icy path the natives used.

I'm pretty sure the current general consensus is that those Vikings were the first non Asian-ice bridge-crossing settlers. Even though the Viking settlements were short lived.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    That's my point. Saying the colonists were anything but British is wrong, and considering their countrymen died for them, they should pay for their share of taxes.
    If that's your point, then the colonists obviously owed Britain for nothing more than a flag. A relationship clearly not in the colonists favor since they decided to revolt soon after. Don't pretend that these colonists slept in bed nuzzled tightly next to a British flag. This was not so.

The Revolutionary War was for rich white people to exploit natural resources, maintain slavery, push back the Demarcation Line, a lack of representation and the inherent British right to rebel against an unjust government. It's a mixture of pretty crappy, spiteful and vicious reasons and legitimate, meaningful and justifiable ones.

It's a revolution!
    This goes well with the sappy tune of The world turned upside down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    If that's your point, then the colonists obviously owed Britain for nothing more than a flag. A relationship clearly not in the colonists favor
    They weren't dead. It was completely in their favour. It got them a crap ton of lands, ffs. Giving people land and protecting them from death is the definition of being in their favour.

since they decided to revolt soon after.
    For many reasons. One of them being complete arsewads that they wouldn't pay vastly inferior taxes for the people who kept them alive, gave them weapons and got them land. And these guys were asked to do it.

Don't pretend that these colonists slept in bed nuzzled tightly next to a British flag. This was not so.
    Up until 1776, Jefferson and the rest were considering maintaining the King. They also directly refer to the Glorious Revolution in the Deceleration of Independence, and the verbiage of the time is filled with pro-British sentiment and how the current King had "gone wayward" and needed something akin the GR. They may not have adored the flag, but they certainly considered themselves intensely close to it.

As I shall paraphrase Thatcher - "Of course I respect the Founding Fathers. They were all British."

This goes well with the sappy tune of The world turned upside down.
    Does it? It certainly goes well with historical fact at graduate level, rather than the crappy version US textbooks offer.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    They weren't dead. It was completely in their favour. It got them a crap ton of lands, ffs. Giving people land and protecting them from death is the definition of being in their favour.
    For many reasons. One of them being complete arsewads that they wouldn't pay vastly inferior taxes for the people who kept them alive, gave them weapons and got them land. And these guys were asked to do it.
    Up until 1776, Jefferson and the rest were considering maintaining the King. They also directly refer to the Glorious Revolution in the Deceleration of Independence, and the verbiage of the time is filled with pro-British sentiment and how the current King had "gone wayward" and needed something akin the GR. They may not have adored the flag, but they certainly considered themselves intensely close to it.
    As I shall paraphrase Thatcher - "Of course I respect the Founding Fathers. They were all British."
    Does it? It certainly goes well with historical fact at graduate level, rather than the crappy version US textbooks offer.
    They weren't dead? You know, it is consistently unfair for you to keep portraying the French as if they were led by a mass-murdering version of Genghis Khan. They did not want to kill colonists. They didn't have a incinerator standing by for marching colonists into. They fought to seize British control. Fairly big difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    They weren't dead? You know, it is consistently unfair for you to keep portraying the French as if they were led by a mass-murdering version of Genghis Khan. They did not want to kill colonists. They didn't have a incinerator standing by for marching colonists into. They fought to seize British control. Fairly big difference.
    And how, legally, would they obtain the lands?

They started a goddamn war and got Indian tribes to take revenge on the colonists. You're making it sound like they walked in with flowers and asked in a polite way to, if it's ever so nice, to steal all your shit, rape your women and, if it pleases you Mr. Colonial, kill your babies.

Please? Oh, do be a dear and let us!
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

15+ Year Old Account
    I remember seeing a documentary or a special on the history channel about this. Dialects and accents in the northeastern United States are more closely "related" to our original British accent than the current British accent. Everyone west and south adjusted from that. What really peaks interest is that after the American Revolution, and possibly some time before, the British Aristocracy adopted a new accent. That accent is now what is common in Britain. Check it out!

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post

The Norse went into Greenland, Newfoundland, and possibly into Minnesota long before the other Euro groups. But even before that, there is an interesting story of men (later to be considered Native Americans) traveling by boat across the Atlantic and crash landing in Denmark (I think) 500+ years prior to the Vikings.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rommon64 View Post
    Plus, after their 'little rebellion' (/tongue-in-cheek), I doubt anyone wanted to appear British to their fellow (brand new!) Countrymen. Kinda like what happen during the Cold War with the Red Scare.

Note: I'm willing to accept being wrong on this.
    Not really. The Washington Administration (namely Hamilton) promoted some pretty pro-British trade policies.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:23 PM ----------

We haven't forgot about you. We're just waiting for the right opportunity.
    Quite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Red
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon