Thread: Pandaren Druids

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Pandaren Druids

There was this girl at Blizzcon who asked why we don't get Pandaren Druids, and at first I thought it would be a bad idea to add more and more Druid races. Kosak also said that, they weren't around to be taught by Cenarius. But Worgen and Troll Druids are already a very special form of Druid. The whole Worgen thing in itself is messed up. They were originally Night Elves, who were stuck in the wolf form, but the Druids we play are Humans, who are afflicted by the curse. Then they made up that whole harvest-witch thing to make more sense of why Druids were practicing Druidism before they turned into Worgen, and it's nice and all, but there's still no real connection to Cenarius. Troll Druids revolve around the Loa, also no real connection to Cenarius.

So why not make Pandaren Druids based on the August Celestials. Ox (Niuzao) could be tanking form, tiger (Xuen) could be cat form, cloud serpent (Yulon) could be flight form and crane (Chi-Ji) could be traveling form.

10+ Year Old Account
    what is moonkin form then?
    Hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    what is moonkin form then?
    Moonkin. Silly question.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they turned into the aspects of their Gods, wouldn't that sort of be like spitting in their Gods faces?
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    If they turned into the aspects of their Gods, wouldn't that sort of be like spitting in their Gods faces?
    I guess it depends on if they do it with their approval.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please no. Bad enough we have "werewolf" druids.

---------- Post added 2012-11-06 at 01:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Psilo View Post
    If they wanted Pandaren Druids then all they had to do was say, "They learned Druidism from the Horde/Alliance and embraced it."
    Amen to that. Reminded me of a movie:

- But, you can't smoke in space.
    - Well, then we'll just a line to the screenplay - "Thank God, we invented the whatever-device".

Deleted
    When they tank, they'll only have to go down on all fours. No need to shapeshift.

Problem is that Monks are already heavily linked into the August Celestials. A lot of Monk abilities are based on the Celestials (Spinning Crane Kick, Summon Black Ox Statue/Jade Serpent Statue, hell we can even talent into summoning Xuen), so to have another class (even a pre-existing one) also draw from the Celestials may seem a bit odd.

I dunno, I don't really get a druidic feel from the Pandaren anyways. It could work I guess, but eh. Not a big deal IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Not necessarily. If the story line were done properly, it can already be said that the celestials bestow their blessings on anyone on the planet who's willing to play magic: the gathering with them, why would they be so unwilling to bestow a greater blessing on the race that was closer to them and worshipped them more devoutly? The forms obviously wouldn't be a carbon copy (though, it is blizzard, so they probably would be) but rather an aspect. Ultimately I'd imagine the forms to be as such:

Guardian Form: A husky form that had the shape and features of an Ox, but the colors and markings of a Pandaren.
    Feral Form: A sleek form that heavily resembled a tiger, but again with the colors and markings of a Pandaren. (Traditionally, Bear and Cat forms have bore heavy similarities to each other, so this wouldn't be a huge deal.)
    Balance Form: The Pandaren retains their original appearance, however with the texture and colors of the jade serpent, additionally they'd have a serpent tail.
    Flight Form: A crane, one clearly designed for flight and not walking.
    Travel Form: A walking crane.

The treant form could remain as the current treant form since it only serves as a glyph and already looks the same for everyone. The broccoli form can resemble the current ones perhaps with sakura blossoms instead of the broccoli heads.

Edit: It'll likely never happen, but it's fun to think about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Psilo View Post
    Don't be fooled by Blizzard throwing out lore continuity as their reasoning for race/class combo decisions. If they wanted Pandaren Druids then all they had to do was say, "They learned Druidism from the Horde/Alliance and embraced it." That's the justification they used for all the 4.0 changes that went out.

But, somebody at Blizzard didn't like the idea of Pandaren Druids, and that's that.
    I think the reason they didn't do Pandaren Druids is that they felt it didn't fit their style, but seeing as they have the August Celestials, who really remind me of Loa or the bear and cat spirit in Moonglade, I thought there's certainly a way to give it that spin.

Except that using the August Celestials as basis for a Druidic like Shapeshifting sect would not really make a whole lot of sense in Pandaran culture, since from what I can tell, the Celestials are regarded less like the Tauren / Elf spirit aspects or Troll Loa gods, and more like ancient Protectors / Advisors, almost something more closely related to a Pandaran Specific Themed version of the Dragon Aspects.

Lore aside, I'd be willing to trade in my brightly colored mo-hawk for a little fur ball tail on my druid

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I think the reason they didn't do Pandaren Druids is that they felt it didn't fit their style, but seeing as they have the August Celestials, who really remind me of Loa or the bear and cat spirit in Moonglade, I thought there's certainly a way to give it that spin.
    I think it was mostly down to druids being fairly heavy on the art assets, which is somewhat impractical when your art team is already swamped.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think that worgen druids human form should actually be night elf.

Every race should be every class.

Giving any possible Pandaren druid unique forms would require a revision for all other Druid forms as well. For one feral worgen should be a flippin giant wolf, not a cat... While they can make up whatever lore around it they want, the forms would have to be standard: Have them rip their clothes off and get on all fours for bear form... ok not entirely, but ofc a bear man doesnt need much changing for bear form, male pandaren /roar is literally druid bear combat noises.

A Pandaria tiger for cat form, a crane for travel form, and perhaps a cloud serpent flight form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Have them rip their clothes off and get on all fours for bear form...
    I approve of this

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    they did that then Forsaken hunters would want an undead dark ranger model, and then additional cans of worms

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Except that using the August Celestials as basis for a Druidic like Shapeshifting sect would not really make a whole lot of sense in Pandaran culture, since from what I can tell, the Celestials are regarded less like the Tauren / Elf spirit aspects or Troll Loa gods, and more like ancient Protectors / Advisors, almost something more closely related to a Pandaran Specific Themed version of the Dragon Aspects.
    Honestly? They seem a lot like the Ancients if you ask me. I'd even go as far as to say that they basically ARE Ancients, we're just calling them different things. They really do remind me of Lo'gosh, Malorne, etc. Some druid spells and talents are named after the Ancients in a similar fashion that the monk spells and talents are after the Celestials (Ursoc's Vortex, Cenarion Ward, etc.)

As far as I can tell, they share the same reverence and abilities as the Ancients we helped prior to and during the Molten Front.

That being said, I still don't agree with the idea of Pandaren druids.

I understand that other races that have not interacted with Cenarius have become druids (trolls and humans ("worgen") of course) but I think that they are the exception rather than the rule. In the case with the trolls and the humans, they were an exception that decided to get organized, and at least for the worgen I can imagine that their abilities were further enhanced by the quasi-shapeshift of their beastform and the fact that they decided to shack up with the keldorei, who were the first and greatest druids. As for the trolls, well, lets be honest- the trolls have ALWAYS had a thing for turning into animals, even as far back as ZG and ZA.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead, and that World of Warcraft died with him."

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    but the people of gilneas are humans why would they be night elves?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.