Emergency response in the U.S

So I just want to rant about this a little bit.
    We always see adds during any form of public elections about the Public emergency services wanting more funding or QQ'ing about potential reduced funding.

Well the other night I was at work and we had a customer come in who cuts herself for attention (yes she was bleeding) anyway my boss called 911 to get her some help and before you know it their is 2 cop cars a ambulance and a fire engine outside of the store with a total of 8 people who were responding to this call.

So now we have 8 emergency workers 7 of which are not needed tending to a single crazy lady
    "who they knew quite well because she apparently does this shit pretty often"
    To add insult to injury they left all 4 rigs idling in the parking lot for over 45 minutes (20 of which they just stood around talking to each other)

And no they didn't take the women to the hospital or arrest her, and the women left the premises by herself a good 30 minutes before the emergency service people.

So yeah our emergency services don't need more money they need to have the shit slapped out of them and be told to quit being so wasteful.

Yeah, any time you dial 911 they like to respond with cops, ambulance, and fire engine unless you specifically tell them not to or something. It's really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yeah, any time you dial 911 they like to respond with cops, ambulance, and fire engine unless you specifically tell them not to or something. It's really weird.

It's a waste of money, the operator should be required to ask which emergency service you need, the only time all 3 should be sent is if you request it or their is no response from the caller.

Just a few thoughts. Most of the people that showed up were probably bored and were looking for something to do. If you are a cop you are not literally chasing speeders and fighter crime the entire shift. Especially if it's later in the evening. Also with the exception of the fire trucks the rest of the emergency vehicles would be idling or moving if they weren't at your call.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    So now we have 8 emergency workers 7 of which are not needed tending to a single crazy lady
    "who they knew quite well because she apparently does this shit pretty often"
    Perhaps they knew better what was appropriate, based on their past experience with this person and knowledge of what other incidents (if any) are going on, than you do based on no experience and no knowledge?

I would only send what is needed or send everyone but once it's decided they aren't needed they leave. However, that's too much common sense so it would never fly.

When there's nothing better for them to do, they'll all show up. They're still listening on their radios FYI

Also, anytime there's someone cutting themselves they have to send at least cops and ambulances because they might be a danger to others

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    It sounds weird... Doesnt happen here unless its in trafic accidents where they can all help i guess...
    But while it may be overkill, or oversave, I have a hard time seeing it as "bad"

Having worked EMS briefly during college, I might be able to shed some light:
    -People who make calls aren't always reliable and accurate sources of information, so emergency response tends to err on the side of getting more resources to the scene than less, and then sending them away if not needed.
    -Many medical calls happen as a result of violence and while the initial call might not make that clear, a police investigation may be required, and the longer it takes to get police to the scene, the greater chance that critical evidence will be lost or contaminated.
    -In my state, fire fighters are also trained medics, so they will respond to medical calls (as they are far more common) to start first aid til an ambulance arrives and takes over. This dramatically reduces response times and increases the likelihood of good medical outcomes for patients.
    -Yes, everyone listens to the radio and if this occurred in a small town or on a slow night, you might have gotten more response than needed and slow dispersal because the crews were bored. It happens.
    -As far as EMS knowing this lady and staying longer than they should, you should realize that this is not just a band-aid case. It is a case involving psychopathy (possibly depression, possibly more). These are hard to deal with in the field because of so many variables in behavior you might see. It takes time to assess mental state and determine if she needs additional medical care for a mental condition. Often such people can become combative. Many times they're on drugs. They're always manipulative, and you have to weed through their storyline. We always wanted cops around for those calls because when they go crazy you have help.

And lastly, you suggest that this is a waste of resources. This isn't true. Those vehicles would be running regardless of whether there is a call or not patrolling within a district of coverage. Those personnel are paid regardless of whether they respond to a call or not. It sounds like they responded appropriately but may have hung around a little longer than they would have on a busy night.