Do the world events come back in the same fashion each year?

I missed the halloween one, despite reinstalling the game solely for the purpose of experiencing a world event. Now that I've seen videos and the trailer for it, I regret missing it but hey, it hurts to be slow. Considering how much it actually affects the world, does this get repeated each year or was this something special due to the game being so new?

AND...is there a "christmas" event that affects the world as well?

I'm starved for great world events that are not just confined to one single little town and without any world impact.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope so because I missed it too!

Halloween will probably be similar next year. The Lost Shores event, since it's a major lore event that isn't tied to a holiday, will probably be one time only. And yes, there is a Christmas event- Wintersday. Don't know what will happen in GW2, but in GW1 it featured the human gods Dwayna and Grenth competing to decide whether to have an early spring or long winter, iirc.

There will be holiday events each year (Halloween, Wintersday, eventually Canthan New Year when we get to Cantha, etc), but it's likely that, if they're not completely redone each year, they'll at the very least expand (Colin said in an interview that they don't want holiday events to be static from year to year).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Hope so, though they might improve them each year by making them bigger.

Deleted
    I hope they expand on them but keep the old achievements and your progress in. I was only a few off the pumpkin carving and trick or treat bags achievements and due to RL issues I couldn't log in on the last night to finish them

In GW1 weren't there different rewards each year? I know that was the case with some b-day presents but I'm not sure about anything else. Which reminds me...I hope they do b-day in GW2 lol

Some of the first year pets sold for quite a bit didn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    In GW1 weren't there different rewards each year?
    Yes.

Also pretty much a given major holiday events are recurring. I mean what major MMO does not have a recurring Xmas, Halloween, Spring, etc events?

Games currently in their beta are running annual holiday events. Also a given GW2 will have a winter/Xmas event. Again, like every MMO has one.

Considering the game is just over 2 months old, we do not yet know if holiday events from year to year will be similar or not. They may be, but they may do something different with different achievements next year. We'll find out next year.

If we go by GW1 as a guide some parts will be similar but there will be new stuff as well. In GW1 every holiday had the same basic framework year to year. There were a handful of quests/activities that returned every year and the same basic decorations went up. Additionally there was often a quest chain that while it always fills the same role (theamed event to hand out a goodie) was often different in the details year to year. The finale of the events were always the same format as well but gave out different hats each year and the hats did not repeat.

I would expect that lionsarch will have similar decorations next year and have most if not all of the mad kings realm return next year. This includes the clocktower, labryinth, Reapers rumble, and Lunitic Inquisition. I dont know if the scavenger hunt quest will be back next year or not, it could easily fit the mold of the recuring quests or the quest that changes year to year. I would also anticiapte a new section or two added to the mad kings realm and another activity or two. I would expect the dynamic events to be similar but slightly different as well. obviously we are not likely to have the same fountian busting breakout unless they rebuild it later but he may blow that cover off agian.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    In the interview with Colin Johanson I think he pretty much said that these events are here to stay and will appear every year during a period of time, and then disappear again, like many other MMO events.

He also said that they would like, and probably will build each event up more and more each year. So perhaps next year we will see a second, even harder Clock Tower, as I wished

There has been exactly one world holiday event and the game is out for way less then the year so nobody knows. : P

Anyone know if the Greatsaw will be back? I picked up one of these from a Black Lion Chest (from zone completion) and was going to sit on it until the value goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    Anyone know if the Greatsaw will be back? I picked up one of these from a Black Lion Chest (from zone completion) and was going to sit on it until the value goes up.
    I read on Reddit that it will not available again. The goal is the have unique skins for every holiday event. I'd sit on it for a few months to see where the price goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I missed the halloween one, despite reinstalling the game solely for the purpose of experiencing a world event. Now that I've seen videos and the trailer for it, I regret missing it but hey, it hurts to be slow. Considering how much it actually affects the world, does this get repeated each year or was this something special due to the game being so new?

AND...is there a "christmas" event that affects the world as well?

I'm starved for great world events that are not just confined to one single little town and without any world impact.
    In one of their interviews they replied to this question that each year it would keep some key aspects (such as candy corn mining nodes, and trick or treat portal doors) but be a different event each year, so in short the major events wont be the same but the minor stuff will... it would be kinda hard for the lion statue to be destroyed again seeing as it no longer exists there any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldryth View Post
    Halloween will probably be similar next year. The Lost Shores event, since it's a major lore event that isn't tied to a holiday, will probably be one time only. And yes, there is a Christmas event- Wintersday. Don't know what will happen in GW2, but in GW1 it featured the human gods Dwayna and Grenth competing to decide whether to have an early spring or long winter, iirc.
    And candy cane weaponry!
    I loved my candy cane bow...

Though I wonder if they'll do something different with the dais where the lion statue once stood. I loved that fountain.