10+ Year Old Account

[Holy] Why do we get spell dps gear instead of spirit gear in 5.1?

Title says it all really
    1/3 GM of Valar Morghulis Horde Torrent Mill EU

All of the healers are in the same boat. Priests are complaining about no spirit gear. This was true in every other expansion too, they aren't going to give you ideal gear in every slot. Upgrading and choosing gear would be pretty boring right?

10+ Year Old Account
    In cata I do not remember having to take a dps item because spirit wasn't available.
    1/3 GM of Valar Morghulis Horde Torrent Mill EU

Quote Originally Posted by Romulan1993 View Post
    In cata I do not remember having to take a dps item because spirit wasn't available.
    Think of Firelands, then. The only plate belt with intellect for tier 12 came from the reputation vendor, it had crit and haste on it. No spirit option.

First tier usually means less good gear for everbody

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulan1993 View Post
    Other healers had to. "If it doesn't have hit, then it is also considered healer gear" were pretty much the words of GC.

As for the 5.1 updated faction awards, they are just upgraded versions of the 489 items. The 489 belt and bracers didn't have spirit either. And you can do raids to get spirit ones.

I've noticed the same thing and while I want to /shakefist when I see the stats, after reforging and gemming those items are giving me more spirit than the previous item I was wearing in the first place. Seems like some weird stats on things but also seems to come out ok on the other side of things.

Believe it or not, low spirit - high reliance on HS crits for mana regen is actually a play style.

There's a fundamental fact you're forgetting when you complain about this. As our gear gets better (as in more spellpower, mastery and crit), our throughput increases without changing our mana consumption. The trade off is that if you generate less mana through spirit, you need to be more effective with what mana you have, meaning you can't just spam heals constantly. You have to actively manage your mana, which sometimes means not healing a player at 80% health, because they aren't going to get hit again soon.

Also, don't make the mistake of calling an item 'dps' just because it doesn't have spirit. That just means it isn't stat optimized for healing. If it has hit on it, that's a dps piece. And I think I'm safe in saying we won't see hit on plate caster gear in the near future. If you need spirit, get it from gemming and reforging. The stat allocation shouldn't hurt you that much unless you don't know how to be mana efficient with your healing and rely on excessive spirit to cover for you.

Because they are morons.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzior View Post
    There's a fundamental fact you're forgetting when you complain about this. As our gear gets better (as in more spellpower, mastery and crit), our throughput increases without changing our mana consumption. The trade off is that if you generate less mana through spirit, you need to be more effective with what mana you have, meaning you can't just spam heals constantly. You have to actively manage your mana, which sometimes means not healing a player at 80% health, because they aren't going to get hit again soon.
    Not sure if omitting haste was intentional or you just overlooked it. More casts in the same window is going to lead to higher mana consumption alongside the increase in throughput. And spirit *will* likely climb as you hit higher gear levels if the LFR - > Normal - > Heroic gear is any indication.
    Undefined animosity is a device of the spineless, the means of a fool.

I have no idea what Blizz is thinking with this move.

I can't understand it either, however it's pretty sweet when I gem/reforge it to shockadin power. It's pretty handy not only for questing purpose but for pvp fun plus running hc's as holy dps

healers don't need spirit on every piece of gear. As long as there's no hit it's healer (and DPS) gear. Just because it doesn't have your favorite secondary stat doesn't make it gear you can't equip. DPS is constantly having to equip gear with sub par secondary stats, and they don't call it "non-DPS" gear.

They probably want to delay healers having very comfortable spirit levels till the last tier of of MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I am looking over and over, but I do not see this +hit Plate-intellect gear you are talking about.
    Every other item is a healer-item.
    Love the irony here. Why would there be any plate intellect with +hit when pallys don't have any casting dps specc and by default as a healer ur hit capped.

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 06:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    They probably want to delay healers having very comfortable spirit levels till the last tier of of MoP.
    I would bet on this aswell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I am looking over and over, but I do not see this +hit Plate-intellect gear you are talking about.
    Every other item is a healer-item.

I really love the hypocrisy.
    Some time ago, when healers didn't need more spirit, people were raging when healers took a non-spirit item and healers would defend with: Only items with hit are DPS!

And there are still people who rage when healers take gear without spirit. But then a lot of the times those are the mages and locks who will take spirit gear and healing trinkets for the INT upgrade.
    Last edited by Freia; 2012-11-07 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterilize View Post
    Not sure if omitting haste was intentional or you just overlooked it. More casts in the same window is going to lead to higher mana consumption alongside the increase in throughput. And spirit *will* likely climb as you hit higher gear levels if the LFR - > Normal - > Heroic gear is any indication.
    That's intentional. Haste increases our burst throughput, not our maximum throughput. The OP seems focused on the lack of spirit which increases our maximum throughput by giving us more mana, so I focused on stats that increase our throughput without changing our mana endurance.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lack of Spirit doesn't make a piece non-healer gear. Remember that there is still reforging to get proper stats on gear. I also think that doing this is likely so that a BiS item doesn't come from Rep/Quests instead of raids.