View Poll Results: Will World of Warcraft subscribers go under 10 million this quarter or stay above?

Voters
395. This poll is closed
  • It will stay above 10 million.

245 62.03%
  • It will go under 10 million.

150 37.97%
Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Activision Blizzard Q3 2012 Earnings Call

The Mists of Pandaria launch brought subscribers up 900,000 to over 10 million again. Now's the time to state your predictions.
    Last edited by Peso; 2012-11-07 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Grammar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good good, that we got 900.000 subs back. Now we have to see if MoP can hold their subs and even interest more people to come back/start

10+ Year Old Account
    The pathetic thing is that blizzard counts people who do the trials... so if you did the MoP trial, but didn't buy, they count you towards that total... which is flat out stupid, mine ran out today and they'll still count me as a subscriber... Honestly, w/e the number is, I subtract atleast 200,000. I predict that it'll be close if not under 9 mil.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    The pathetic thing is that blizzard counts people who do the trials... so if you did the MoP trial, but didn't buy, they count you towards that total... which is flat out stupid, mine ran out today and they'll still count me as a subscriber... Honestly, w/e the number is, I subtract atleast 200,000. I predict that it'll be close if not under 9 mil.
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that they only count people with at least a month of paid time under their belt.

10+ Year Old Account
    The pathetic thing is that blizzard counts people who do the trials...
    Let alone released MoP to fall under one of the worst quarters (subscription wise) for WoW.

Shell games.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Oh look, another opinion stated as a fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they don't. They specifically say in their list of what counts that promotional game time is not counted.

EDIT: From one of their press releases:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=7473409
    Last edited by Rivin; 2012-11-07 at 05:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This expansion isn't as appealing to western players and I think we'll see some fall out in the west. Now the asian market may love it and time will tell if their will be an increase that may or may not be their strategy. Yes that is just my opinion.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Q3 will stay good for now, but I think it will drop again in Q4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that they only count people with at least a month of paid time under their belt.
    Yeah, I'm with you on that. I find it hard they would count people "on appro"

That said, I don't think we'll see much change in this quarter. It's a new expansion. It's too early for the hype to drag it down. Granted, it hasn't been enough to bring me back, but I put that down to just being bored with the genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    How far over 10million were subscriptions before?

I suspect subs will go down a little as they usually do after expac has been over for a little bit, but I don't think the drop will be significant. If we were skirting the border of 10million, then it'll probably be under. If it was almost to 11million then probably not.

In any case, I don't think there willl be a huge change.

Correct.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted

That's absolutely wrong and is stated as such in each reported earnings call.

The reason it is...You know, that little thing called investors who don't care that there are 4825349057623489057 people playing, but 10mil people PAYING, and that is who Blizzard is telling the number too and not you

I see it staying above 10mil, but will not be at all surprised to see a small drop or no movement at all. I think the dailies have burned out a lot of people, even though, on the whole, the expansion so far has been fun.

For this quarter I expect a small drop, but the following quarters will probably take up to the millions of losses if they repeat the mistake they had with Cata

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Correct.
    Yeah I was pretty sure he was wrong.

I suspect an increase. Everyone I know has returned. Our guild has upwards of 30+ people on at any given time. All my evidence is anecdotal, of course, but so is the evidence of all of the nay-sayers.

I'm guessing relative stagnation either way for now, but am much more interested in seeing the mid-expansion subscriber results from patches like McNeil implied(?)

I suspect an increase. Everyone I know has returned. Our guild has upwards of 30+ people on at any given time. All my evidence is anecdotal, of course, but so is the evidence of all of the nay-sayers.
    My guild (mostly working 25-45yr old) hasnt....yes its anecdotal on both sides. My big concern is the cataclysmic explosion of BG bots and Leveling bots.....they screw up the number of subs BIG TIME. These arent free trial (level 15 level cap) which dont count in subs numbers. These bots use RAF with a scammed credit card but they still count in subs.

What time is left until conference?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    What time is left until conference?
    Conf is at 1h30pm PACIFIC

If it's still counting the 1+ million annual pass subscribers from last year (year passes don't run out until mid-Nov to Dec and Jan for most), then their numbers will most likely stay steady at about 10 mil. Next quarter, after they can no longer float on those annual pass subs, they'll prob drop a good 500-1mil in subs again.