10+ Year Old Account

[Movie] Did you enjoy the Count of Monte Cristo (2000)?

I just re-watched this movie a few nights ago, and I must say, its one of the best movies ive seen in my lifetime. Sure Gladiator is up there as well, but did anyone else really enjoy this movie?

It's awesome, the book is also an excellent read if you have the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    it had a good cast, pretty solid movie, I enjoyed it

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh jeez. I haven't watched it in ages. If I recall it was pretty good

i think it was kinda average but it might be because i read the book and the movie changes like everything about the story

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zingar View Post
    i think it was kinda average but it might be because i read the book and the movie changes like everything about the story
    I agree with this statement, it was well done, but I was pissed throughout because of the plot changes.

It is slightly changing the topic, but the anime Gankutsuo is a really good adaptation of Count of Monte Cristo, with a futuristic setting. Obviously there are a few plot changes from the book, but I really liked it.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    I agree with this statement, it was well done, but I was pissed throughout because of the plot changes.

It is slightly changing the topic, but the anime Gankutsuo is a really good adaptation of Count of Monte Cristo, with a futuristic setting. Obviously there are a few plot changes from the book, but I really liked it.
    Movie bad because of plot changes but an anime is good with plot changes? Also an anime count of monte christo? Ughh anime is an abomination

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I just re-watched this movie a few nights ago, and I must say, its one of the best movies ive seen in my lifetime. Sure Gladiator is up there as well, but did anyone else really enjoy this movie?
    Movie was good up until the hot air balloon and then it started to lose pace for me. Also Gladiator, not even worth using the dvd as a coaster imho. I didn't care for it when it first came out but I re-watched it 2 years ago just to give it a fair chance, it just didn't do anything for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrealle View Post
    Movie was good up until the hot air balloon and then it started to lose pace for me. Also Gladiator, not even worth using the dvd as a coaster imho. I didn't care for it when it first came out but I re-watched it 2 years ago just to give it a fair chance, it just didn't do anything for me.
    OH....you best not go there

And the movie (count) was alright. Surprisingly I thought Guy Pierce wasn't that great, one of the few roles where he didn't really do it for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven’t watched The Count of Monte Cristo, but I thought Gladiator was very mediocre. The acting was excellent though.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the movie started out quite strong, but the whole revenge was really anticlimactic. I didn't mind the changes from the book all that much, but I felt the characters were really disappointing. Danglars, Villefort and Morcerf lost any sort of depth they had in the book, and just became dick A, B and C.

While far from perfect, I think I actually preferred Gankutsuou's reimagining of the book, mostly because it had more time to develop the characters. But I suppose you can't expect perfection from a two hour long film adaption of a nearly 1000 pages long book.
    Last edited by Erihs; 2012-11-14 at 09:44 PM.