Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Eating an entire chicken?

Is it ok to do such a thing when trying to gain muscle mass? :P

I am overweight but do not care very much about it right now. I do not want to lose muscle mass. (which will also happen when losing weight) And this is holding me back from losing weight, that is the one thing I fear that my 3 years of lifting will be for naught.

Yes, I can eat an entire chicken, my appetite is titanic when hungry.

But is it ok to eat it before a workout?

I don't mean every day but just once in a while?
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-11-08 at 10:18 AM.

Deleted
    Eat it after your workout instead, and id eat chicken everyday ( which i do ) but not a whole chicken.
    You should probably lose the weight before you start worrying about muscle mass

Deleted
    Don't eat it all at once, try to spread it out evenly, some to lunch, some to dinner, some to a snack etc.
    And nothing wrong with eating an entire chicken, it's low in fat, just don't cover it in gravy and such etc, you probably have to eat before you workout, so you actually have the energy to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    i can honestly say you will gain some sort of mass if you eat an entire chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

I wouldn't have thought it was okay to eat an entire chicken before a work out o_O I work out a lot, and it's been a question very much on my mind. In truth, there is no proof that eating before working out or not actually makes any difference. Exercising on an empty stomach is a bad idea, but don't eat right before exercising, it's just a bad idea. The food doesn't get properly digested because the energy is being diverted from your organs to your muscles to keep up with your movements, so the food just sits there.

So don't exercise on an empty stomach, but don't eat right before working out, especially so much of something. The best thing to eat before working out is something with around 250 calories - it's frequently suggested that a bagel with cream cheese or something is best.

Sources: personal experience and dietition friends.

If you want to build muscle, you'll want to eat more calories than you normally would during workouts and recovery. Eat the chicken after, as the protein in it will work harder to restore your muscles. I advise simply cutting carbs out of your diet and intaking more fat than usual. Your body will use fat as energy more than carbs (the body likes to store most carbs because of how easy it is to do).

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Moderation is key man. And over eating is not good. Seriously. Push yourself back from the table sooner.
    It'll take a bit to get used to, but you will, and you will be happier for it. Happier in 1 year, 10 years, 25, and later.
    Smaller meals. More often. Smaller portions.
    I gather you are trying to build muscle mass, not get fit....but really, they go hand in hand.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    Eat it after your workout instead, and id eat chicken everyday ( which i do ) but not a whole chicken.
    You should probably lose the weight before you start worrying about muscle mass
    I know, 110kg is not healthy at 5,9. (lifting for 3 years btw so not all of it is fat) and I look very chubby at best, so not extremely obese like the BMI chart shows. -.-

I am certainly unhealthy but I don't want to lose muscle mass when losing weight, it is the one thing I fear and it is the one thing holding me back from me losing weight.

And yes, when I commit myself to losing weight then the cardio WILL affect my muscles over time.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-11-08 at 10:14 AM.

Deleted
    Depends how big the chicken is in your country, and I'm not joking, saw in different countries chicken bought are different sizes.

That said, eat after you exercise. As time passes cut bit by bit of the chicken, if you eat one every day, you won't lose weight too. So, after a week or so, cut a wing, after a month, both wings etc. Half a chicken should be enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daeaye View Post
    I wouldn't have thought it was okay to eat an entire chicken before a work out o_O I work out a lot, and it's been a question very much on my mind. In truth, there is no proof that eating before working out or not actually makes any difference. Exercising on an empty stomach is a bad idea, but don't eat right before exercising, it's just a bad idea. The food doesn't get properly digested because the energy is being diverted from your organs to your muscles to keep up with your movements, so the food just sits there.

So don't exercise on an empty stomach, but don't eat right before working out, especially so much of something. The best thing to eat before working out is something with around 250 calories - it's frequently suggested that a bagel with cream cheese or something is best.

Sources: personal experience and dietition friends.
    Don't worry, I know, I am not uninformed. :P

I always wait 2 hours or so before going to the gym after dinner.

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 11:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Depends how big the chicken is in your country, and I'm not joking, saw in different countries chicken bought are different sizes.

That said, eat after you exercise. As time passes cut bit by bit of the chicken, if you eat one every day, you won't lose weight too. So, after a week or so, cut a wing, after a month, both wings etc. Half a chicken should be enough.
    Well....actually it's 930 grams. You have to factor in that part of that is bones and cartilage eh. So quite small.

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    i can honestly say you will gain some sort of mass if you eat an entire chicken
    Yes, this was the answer I was expecting haha.

I don't think I even could eat an entire chicken in one sitting.

Chicken is healthy food but too much of it isn't good either especially when you are already overweight. Maybe if you work out very hard you can take a big amount of healthy food.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    I don't think I even could eat an entire chicken in one sitting.

Chicken is healthy food but too much of it isn't good either especially when you are already overweight. Maybe if you work out very hard you can take a big amount of healthy food.
    Yeah, I do.

When I am done training I can barely lift my arms for example. (No, I don't train only my arms but it is an example)

Look, your just looking for an for an answer you already know.

You're looking for justification, just stop it. Moderate yourself, FFS. It's not that hard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Look, your just looking for an for an answer you already know.

You're looking for justification, just stop it. Moderate yourself, FFS. It's not that hard.
    Nope, I am going to eat the chicken, I am not looking for justification. But I want to know if it is acceptable generally, which it isn't and I now know.

Moderation? Only when I am losing weight. Which I am not doing at this moment. I am certainly capable of it, I have done it many times, but it is not a goal of me now.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-11-08 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Nope, I am going to eat the chicken, I am not looking for justification. But I want to know if it is acceptable generally, which it isn't and I now know.
    Look, I'm about honesty. You claim to know about working out. If you bothered to do ANY reading about eating habits. Then I'm SURE you have read enough to know, that eating a whole chicken, it's plain ass ridiculous.

Even pure Massahloics, that frequent my gym, won't even eat a whole fricken chicken, in one sitting. It's an asinine question with an answer you already knew. I'm beginning to think you just wanted to brag about eating a whole chicken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Look, I'm about honesty. You claim to know about working out. If you bothered to do ANY reading about eating habits. Then I'm SURE you have read enough to know, that eating a whole chicken, it's plain ass ridiculous.

Even pure Massahloics, that frequent my gym, won't even eat a whole fricken chicken, in one sitting. It's an asinine question with an answer you already knew. I'm beginning to think you just wanted to brag about eating a whole chicken.
    Why would I want to brag about something as ridiculous as that. -_-

No, I do not know THAT much. But I am not completely uninformed about weight lifting.

Deleted
    You are going to lose muscle when leaning out, thats a fact.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    I know, 110kg is not healthy at 5,9.
    I almost said "Wait... I'm 5'4 and weigh that much" then I realized that a kg is NOT a pound.

I don't think I can quite understand what "eating a whole chicken is" without seeing what it's like after being cooked. If you bought a costco chicken, prepped and fried it in oil I would say that you're more in line for a heart attack than gaining some mass. It would probably take several meals, maybe even a few days to go through a costco chicken by myself lol. It sounds like an awfully large amount of food to be taking in before a workout, I think you'd get sick doing it.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Quote Originally Posted by I Knew It View Post
    You are going to lose muscle when leaning out, thats a fact.
    Not really, it just takes a long ass time. Sure you can go full on Insanity Workout, or Crossfit. Then lose quite a bit of muscle. Though, if he just keeps his diet lean and MODERATES himself a bit more. It will fall in line and before he knows it, he will have abs.

Lean is made in the kitchen, not the gym. Plain and simple, ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE that has been working out for 3 years and hasn't bothered to pick some light reading about eating habits. That makes me HIGHLY suspicious of creditability.

Deleted
    Okay, but there is a way of sustaining my current muscle mass without losing a part of it while losing weight?

And Joker, seriously stop your damn criticism already, geez, it's based on nearly nothing, buzz off.

I began at 16 and now am 19, no, a 16 year old doesn't really concern himself nor does a 17 year old, he just goes to the gym most of the time and does what he wants in workouts.

Just recently I began looking up more.

With your damn assumptions...

And oh yeah, sure thing, moderation is key, it is logical and I know this. That does not mean I automaticly CHOOSE TO FOLLOW IT.

My god. Just knowing something doesn't mean somebody is doing it.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-11-08 at 11:02 AM.