Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am very fine with content which is achieveable by less than 1% of wow community, nice to have something like gladiator in pve.
    Challenge modes are the fastest way to obtain valor points, they will be great for hardcore players who need valor for item upgrades in 5.1, lets say its mogushan palace daily challenge, you form your group and run it in 12 mins for gold (85 VP) then hand in daily (80 VP)... 165 valor in 12 mins is pretty damn good

Truth is it takes time to practise them abit, its not like you go there and do silver+ on the first run, you have to progress through them the first time, get to know what to do at certain points. I'm member of semi hardcore raiding guild with 3/9 dungeons on silver so far, didnt have much time to do more than this, but there's no rush and for me personaly its one of the best features in MoP, from what I've played so far i must say it's just great, its much different than raids and much much different than the heroic versions, you need organized group, you need tactic, you need cc, finaly i got to use all my char's abilities in pve.

Ofc many people gonna flame challenge modes, saying its no new content, saying gold is not doable by 99.9% of wow community (which is actually best thing about it), but thats the same people who flame dailies, saying they are grindy and most people cant do all of them because its so time consuming, so what? Why most people got a feeling they have to stay on par with hardcore players, that they should get all the gear more easily, that they should be able to do all the dailies every day, that they should get higher arena rating easily, that they should be able to get all gold in challenge modes?
    "You are a pro or you are a noob, that's life."
    Last edited by Boogar; 2012-11-08 at 01:19 PM.
    "Oh, you think darkness is your ally, but you merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it.

I didn't see the light until I was already a man and by then it was nothing to me but blinding." -Bane

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold of Skullcrusher View Post
    What? All those things are pretty much free to obtain, why would they do this?
    An invisibility potion on US-Illidan costs 200g (last time I checked). Considering that I want gold I'm gonna die a lot of times. And everytime someone dies gold medal becomes harder (til it gets impossible) so we have to reset the dungeon and use our potions again. If we die at least 10 times we already spent 2k (not including food, flasks running out and other potions).

So no, they aren't free. Free means 0 cost. They have a cost so they aren't free.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold of Skullcrusher View Post
    What? All those things are pretty much free to obtain, why would they do this?
    >free to obtain
    >1h challenge mode costs 3-4k
    yeah no

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    I would've loved to try them if they were but a DPS race. Anytime it's but a DPS race in WoW, people cut corners and I'd rather be tested without the usual "gogogo" and exploits.

More of a test just trying to solo older raids as a Holy paladin...and without the elitist mouthing and more that usually goes in public groups (I tire quickly of antisocials only interested in themselves and screaming the whole time).

Give me a true challenge, not just a challenge to stomach public groups in WoW.
    I'm not sure what "public groups in WoW" even means, but you're playing a multiplayer game, where the whole purpose is to be playing with multiple other people. Not quite sure what to make of this post?

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    >free to obtain
    >1h challenge mode costs 3-4k
    yeah no
    Thats 1 hour. It takes a lot of hours to master one dungeon. Now you have to do the same with all the other dungeons.

I don't know what "free" means for him but for me and you I think it has another meaning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
    I'm not sure what "public groups in WoW" even means, but you're playing a multiplayer game, where the whole purpose is to be playing with multiple other people. Not quite sure what to make of this post?
    Probably because you're what I'm describing. -_-

Had no problems with EQ2 and their groups, because they rather socialize. Some of my fondest MMO memories are the long chats after dungeons/raids, that came possible as we actually TALKED in our dungeons/raids not type. In WoW it's typical being in a group of thugs, nasty thugs.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    I won my first copper medal 2 days ago with the 22th best run of my realms. I really enjoy the challenge.
    For me it brings back dungeons into the game because hc dungeons are just stuffing opportunities with no challenge at all.
    I certainly will never won a gold medal but I will try to catch all the silver.
    Rewards are unecessary because I'm a gamer not someone who want to attract attention.
    My only regret about this mode is that is all about speed run.

To all players, finishing this type of dungeons is already an interesting challenge that you must considered not to miss.

10+ Year Old Account
    If people are having a damn hard time completing them at Gold level then they're a success as far as I'm concerned. They are challenging, which is what they were meant to be.
    I cannot recall exactly what he said but GC mentioned that they had no plans to nerf Challenge Mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are fun. I have run a couple. but with no intention of getting a highscore yet.

As others have said there is quite alot to do during the beginning of the expansion. I am saving challenge modes and pet battles for when I get tired of raiding.

Best feature implemented in years. Only managed to get silver medals across the table, but already have ideas to further improve the time. Absolutely love them.

Challenge modes are not a failure because they never were something that was supposed to appeal to a large amount of players. The devs have been really smart with their dev time.. they are adding a LOT of features that probably took very little dev time that appeal to very small segments of the population.. Challenge modes are one of them.

If they had been done in new dungeons, or involved new creature models.. then I would say it was a failure.. but these things took very very little dev time...so it is okay if very little people use them.

LFR was added to make the dev time used on Raids relevant to non-raiders
    Challenge modes were added to make the dev time used on easy heroics relevant to hardcore players.

Quote Originally Posted by Steik View Post
    They're meant for the more hardcore player. Get good or die tryin' .
    You don't even need to be hardcore to perform well in them, just takes practice. A run or two through is usually good enough to get silver or better, keep refining your strat and you can get gold pretty easily.

I personally think "Do the same thing, but this time with a time limit!" is always a cheap way to make content artificially difficult, regardless of the game.

Can't be bothered.

Deleted
    Getting realm bests and golds feels great, so I certainly don't think they are a fail. Blizzard even said themselves that they expect only a very small percentage of the playerbase to be able to obtain Golds, so working as intended tbh.

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 03:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    I personally think "Do the same thing, but this time with a time limit!" is always a cheap way to make content artificially difficult, regardless of the game.

Can't be bothered.
    If you think Challenge modes of instances are anything at all like doing them on Heroic/Normal equivalent but 'timed', then you clearly haven't done any.

I haven't tried them yet, but if it's anything like going for the Zul'Aman bear back in TBC, then I'm all game. I really like the "do it fast as possible" type of gameplay in regards of dungeons, because it forces players to use all sorts of abilities, strategies and so forth at the correct moments. Fun.

It's content for the best/most dedicated players. If some realms can't achieve gold then they clearly don't deserve it. It's not "a fail" at all.

Deleted
    If not many people doing them is the criteria that needs to be met for them to be considered a failure, then they were never going to be a success. The intention was never to have a lot of people doing them in the first place, they're for a small group.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stannis View Post
    I don't like the timer at all, I would have loved a tightly tuned version of the dungeon in which you gained bronze, silver or gold depending on how many bosses you can down. Really hate timed runs and doing things in a hurry
    It sounds as though you just want Heroic raiding for 5 people? :s

Deleted
    ill never run them, mainly because the "challenge" is to rush through it. its not a "challenge", its rather a "race" ... if id like to be fastest in sth, i play need for speed ...

Deleted
    Since cata, Blizz simply lost it, they don't produce good things in general, they got some silly ideas about the game, for me it looks like after wotlk, Blizzard core people got replaced with some nabs.