Give us this day, our daily shards.

Why can't I replenish shards off mobs that are 10 levels lower than me? Why can't I replenish shards by defeating August Celestial monks? What purpose or possible point is there in this limitation? It sure as hell makes farming older raid content bloody annoying, not to mention grinding dailies or running dungeons where the mobs don't die.

Come on Blizzard, give us our shards!
    Last edited by ddk; 2012-11-08 at 07:47 AM.
    "Once you stop caring what an arrogant, ignorant, idiotic little twat somewhere half-way across the world in a mouldy little basement with his mother yelling down at him to get off his arse and get a job is saying on the internet, you will find an immense calm overcome you. Suddenly the world will seem a brighter place and your mood will improve immediately."

While complaining here is unlikely to do anything I do agree.

Mainly I don't understand why shard regeneration out of combat is something like 21-22 seconds per shard. There's really no reason why it should take more than 10 seconds out of combat to regen all shards.

I'm sure someone will bring up arena's (and boy am I sick of wow being balanced around that horrible horrible system) but to that I say it would not be hard to limit shard regen in an arena match, but for everywhere else, it should be 3-4 seconds tops per shard out of combat.

You don't get shards from mobs 10 level lower than you because they must grant experience or honor. You don't get shards from the monks because the target has to die and they don't die, they surrender.

I agree with this thread

And the title is hilarious

Deleted
    I remember a time when you had to actually farm shards before a raid or arena matches. And you had to use bag space too. Don't worry son, shard generation is just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Fozuum View Post
    I remember a time when you had to actually farm shards before a raid or arena matches. And you had to use bag space too. Don't worry son, shard generation is just fine
    I remember that too. That doesn't mean it was a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    You don't get shards from mobs 10 level lower than you because they must grant experience or honor. You don't get shards from the monks because the target has to die and they don't die, they surrender.
    Yes... we know... I'm saying that it's bloody annoying and I want my shards in these instances as well.
    "Once you stop caring what an arrogant, ignorant, idiotic little twat somewhere half-way across the world in a mouldy little basement with his mother yelling down at him to get off his arse and get a job is saying on the internet, you will find an immense calm overcome you. Suddenly the world will seem a brighter place and your mood will improve immediately."

10+ Year Old Account
    I made a thread similar to this back during beta, and in that thread someone brought up what the tool tip for drain soul actually says in MoP.

Drain Soul-
    Drains the soul of the target, causing (417 + $SP * 0.375) Shadow damage every 2 sec and energizing one Soul Shard after it deals damage twice. If the target dies, three Soul Shards are energized. Lasts 12 sec.

If the target is at or below 20% health when Drain Soul deals damage, it deals 100% additional damage and causes all of your other periodic Affliction damage effects to instantly deal 100% of their normal periodic damage.
    No where does it say that the mobs have to grant experience or honor. So either this was left out of the tool tip or its a bug and draining soul on anything when it dies should give you shards.

Not getting shards if the target doesn't die(I'm looking at you chi ji students) sucks, but you are no actually killing the mob. If you really want shards just drain soul on them to full shards before killing them.

If the mobs don't die, why would you get their shards?

I think most people here are well aware of that, but are pointing out that it is a complete nuisance. Same goes for the monks in Shado-Pan monastery (although if you are doing Challenge Modes I'd imagine you would much rather be Demo in the first place).

On the raid level, mobs that don't give you shards include the Spirit Totems (Gara'jal), Four Kings, Undying Shadows, Garalon's Leg. The Pinning Arrows, funny enough, will refund shards if you kill it on Four Kings. Titan Sparks give shards whether you kill them or not.

Deleted
    I'd be happy with this change, though I'd rather see them simply giving us a way to regain them quickly out of combat like the moonkin alignment spell - that'd also solve us often starting dry after BG deaths.

WTB shards from killing energy charges and pylons on Elegon also.

I can deal with not getting them on lower level mobs or whatever, because for the most part I don't need them there, but Blizzard definitely needs to be more consistent with current level mobs giving shards. It is annoyingly arbitrary, and has been for a while now.

Sadly, I don't see it changing really.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

No where does it say that the mobs have to grant experience or honor. So either this was left out of the tool tip or its a bug and draining soul on anything when it dies should give you shards.
    Nor does it say killing a target gives you shards. You have to look at the glyph of soul consumption.

Nor does it say killing a target gives you shards. You have to look at the glyph of soul consumption.
    lol? "Drains the soul of the target, causing (417 + $SP * 0.375) Shadow damage every 2 sec and energizing one Soul Shard after it deals damage twice. If the target dies, three Soul Shards are energized. Lasts 12 sec."

Soul consumption says you gain 20% of your health if a target that yields xp or honor dies, not shards.

Agreed. We need faster shard generation out of combat, whether passive or not, and a cooldown to fully generate shards in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Xami View Post
    Agreed. We need faster shard generation out of combat, whether passive or not, and a cooldown to fully generate shards in combat.
    I seem to remember having that pre-xpac...

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    I seem to remember having that pre-xpac...
    We don't need soul harvest, we just don't need to wait a full min out of combat for a few shards.