Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Guild Wars 2 popularity - what happened ?

Where did the popularity go ?

I'm basing this on the average of twitch.tv stream viewers.
    In the first month Guild Wars 2 averaged around 5000-8000 live viewers at any given time of day.
    Right now there's 80 people watching Guild Wars 2 streams. That's on the same level as Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne and Worms Revolutions.

What do you guys think ?

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post

I'm basing this on the average of twitch.tv stream viewers.
    In the first month Guild Wars 2 averaged around 5000-8000 live viewers at any given time of day.
    Right now there's 80 people watching Guild Wars 2 streams. That's on the same level as Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne and Worms Revolutions.

What do you guys think ?
    It was new and exciting. People wanted to see game play before they purchased it. Interest in the game has decreased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

I can concur that interest in this game has decreased a lot. I played it and got bored after 3 weeks. I also know a bunch of people leaving GW2 to come back to games such as Mists of Pandaria and Rift: Storm Legion. In addition, Elder Scrolls Online is down the road and that series alone also has a large fan base.

Why the hell would you watch other people play games?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    To see if they're worth buying, to see where the talent is at and what level they play at and how you can improve your play.
    Also if you don't want to buy the game (or an xbox360 Halo 4 anyone?) But are still interested in the lore/story line ('; THERE!
    I said it.

Without commenting on the quality of the game, my take is that the game thrived on hype but the sort of people who pick games based on hype don't have the mental independence to properly evaluate a game, and once the hype dies down they won't have the attention span to find things that they like for themselves.

gw2 is not a fun game to watch others play

Deleted
    Stopped playing myself after a month. Though I did log on to do a bit of the Halloween event and was surprised at how many people were still playing. Interest has waned from it's initial release, but if it keeps with it's monthly updates along the lines of Octobers then it should keep a substantial amount of its playerbase.

Deleted
    Oh, please, stop with this claim that people are massively leaving GW2. They are not. The only place where people can actually believe it it's a WoW fansite like this.
    GW2 servers are all on heavy or full population. If there's one complaint around is that people have to stay in queue for too long to access WvW because there's too many people playing at most hours of the day. During the recent Halloween week the servers almost crashed due to the amount of concurrent people playing. These are in game facts. Then, about people watching generic streams, I really don't know, but I wonder why someone should do it beyond the first week of release.
    Moreover, really, don't even say that everybody "went back to WoW". It's 2012, folks, it's already two years that people don't massively "get back to WoW" anymore, otherwise it's subscription wouldn't have fallen. Someone probably did come back, sure, but the market of online gaming is much wider and varied than before...

10+ Year Old Account
    I found it pretty good. But i was surprised by how Pandaland ended up. Im just starting to feel bored in WoW. Maybe il keep on playing GW2 later, like how i was playing casually GW1

Deleted

Sry I'm too busy playing to answer your qeustion. Oh right that's prolly because I have game forever now not for beta weekends.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merp View Post
    Oh, please, stop with this claim that people are massively leaving GW2. They are not. The only place where people can actually believe it it's a WoW fansite like this.
    GW2 servers are all on heavy or full population. If there's one complaint around is that people have to stay in queue for too long to access WvW because there's too many people playing at most hours of the day. During the recent Halloween week the servers almost crashed due to the amount of concurrent people playing. These are in game facts. Then, about people watching generic streams, I really don't know, but I wonder why someone should do it beyond the first week of release.
    Moreover, really, don't even say that everybody "went back to WoW". It's 2012, folks, it's already two years that people don't massively "get back to WoW" anymore, otherwise it's subscription wouldn't have fallen. Someone probably did come back, sure, but the market of online gaming is much wider and varied than before...
    Sure, you can barely see anyone leaving the game. I guess it's mere coincidence that my guild roster looks like this (and has looked like that for the last 1 month and a half) on a Friday evening.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merp View Post
    Aside from the fact NOBODY in this topic has even mentioned it dying, there are most certainly people leaving it. Why? Because the second you hit 80 and get the gear you want, there's no incentive to play it from a PvE perspective. At all. And not everyone enjoys PvP, which is actually a fact. Not just some BS you pulled out of your ass. The Halloween event bought some people back, but I can assure you that those that came back for that event are playing something else now waiting for Christmas. Peak time in an event with people playing =/= how many people are playing right now. That is also a fact my friend.

Deleted
    Oh dear lord. Ofc people will leave when they achieved their targets it happens in every mmo and gw2 is not designed to keep you logging everyday and YES they need to fix some things PVE wise. Its still early imo most MMOs reach their peaks during expansions, that said im having a blast playing gw2 atm.

Deleted
    Well it's not much to watch these days. Just a handful of teams doing paid tournaments, and it can either be because of bugs and imbalances or the cost of 5 tickets that's a bit heavy compared to the grind in actually getting them.
    We will see how nov 15 patch balance and bugfixes changes the game, if more professions become viable. I think that if they do, more people will play.
    Still tickets cost, and isn't really friendly to teams who just want to try their chances in paid and end up against those pro teams, with no matchmaking system in place this will be a problem for quite a while with newer or more casual players rarely be able to win any paid ones.
    If matchmaking comes in place, if all professions become viable, if bugs are fixed and so on... then the player base might become alive again. But it could be 6 months away and if players will be lured back then time will tell. I think rented servers where people can create their own tournaments will bring the playerbase more alive as well and might give more twitch views.

It all takes time, and the pve people crave christmas event, valentine event, easter event and probably more events between that and they seem to always come first :P And people jumping around in their new bought costumes from the store probably isn't that popular on to watch on twitch as well =)

What do you guys think ?
    Guild Wars 2 is not a game that lends itself well to passive viewing. There isn't any hierarchical strategy to anything really. So you are essentially watching someone tumble about the field of play in a game that strive to be as nonlinear as possible. Not too exciting as evidence points out.

GW2 is not an easy game to "watch" ala DOTA or Starcraft. It also isn't a game with any deeper aspects to play such as World of Warcraft or Super Mario 64 even.

Yes, Super Mario 64 is currently over 2k live concurrent viewers. Guild Wars 2, barely 200 viewers.

Guild Wars 2 is still super popular as a game. It's just not a game that is exciting to watch in the same way Xcom or Tera are pretty dull viewing/great playing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I keep wondering the same thing about guilds. Maybe everyone is leaving guilds to just join big mega guilds? I dunno. What I do know is that all the guilds that I knew people in or came to play with are now all disbanded and the people I knew have left. =(
    My guild was never bigger than the 18 players shown in the picture. The problem is not that they aren't representing or leaving it, they're simply not logging in anymore. Obviously, I'm not representing it anymore either and instead chose to have my one-man guild, for the extra 50 slot storage space.

Think you have asked this before, if not I apologize. The forums all blur together for me at this point.

But to answer simply: fun.

Some people really like games. They enjoy talking, playing and even watching games. Sometimes you can get awesome insight into a game or player(s) via stream; Ensidia of Warcraft or Scarra of League of Legends. For example.

Sometimes its just jokes/goofiness; Jesse Cox, MikeB, etc. Other times it's a demonstration of skill; Toyz, Dragon, etc.

People like games.

Quote Originally Posted by Draugadan View Post
    Sure, you can barely see anyone leaving the game. I guess it's mere coincidence that my guild roster looks like this (and has looked like that for the last 1 month and a half) on a Friday evening.
    And my guild sits at around 75/238 most evenings/weekends and a good half our members are EU/oceanic (wvw focued guild) so we have a solid round the clock presence. Out of our members there are maybe 20-30 that we suspect have quit for good. Anecdotal examples are exactly that and your mileage may vary. With a guild as small as 18 members there is a high probability it was made up mostly of a group of friends from another game, probably a raiding group from wow that went back to raiding pandaland when it released. Either way if it was a small friends guild if a good chunk of them leave the few straglers are also likely to either quit or find a new guild.

Back on the original topic I would say most likely the early stream watching excitement was due to it being new. Now there are still players checking it out but its nowhere near the level it used to be for two reasons. 1 the majority of folks that watched early on saw what they needed to see to make their decision and either bought the game or didnt buy it. 2 Once you've seen enough to make a purchase decision theres no reason to keep watching the streams because the game is really not that interesting to watch someone else play for long when you could either be playing the game yourself or, for the non buyers, don't care to watch something your not interested in.
    Last edited by Merendel; 2012-11-09 at 07:22 PM.

Who is John Galt?

Just wait till they push the lost shores patch i tell ya!
    Just like halloween all over again Population keeps rising and falling and im perfectly fine with it. After all it is not a game designed to keep you logged in to pay a sub.
    Off topic: Isn't game bashing forbidden in those forums?