Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    why use an enhanced human when you can use a robot controlled by an advanced AI.
    in the real world robotics already beat humans and cause unemployment. augmentations above human norms
    would first become financially viable i think in professional sports. Using deus EX as an example is just a stepping stone on the way to
    a full blown merger of human and artificial devices implanted in our cells much like mitochondria. eventually every cell in out body will have its own information processing core and access to a local area network all powered by the existing fuel supplies in the human body: specifically ATP. what you see will be altered by the artificial symbiont in your eye's that will stimulate the nerve endings overlaying a game layer of new information specific to the user. no need for computer monitors.

i think physical augmentations too he human body can be superseded by robotic forms, thus it will all come down to the persona ability to process information and make choices the are valued by the economy. can you pilot a loader or pick stocks that go up in price or paint.

As unemployment grew for the augmented i think non discrimination laws would be passed.

Deleted
    Well, a human with just a few implants will still be cheaper than a robot with an advanced AI, atleast in the short run. But even on a long term the robot would need maitenance and repairs wich would have to be done by the business. While if a human employee's implant would malfunction, he'd more than likely have to pay for repairs out of his own pocket.

Also what kind of non discirimination laws? Like quotas for the amount of non-augmented people a company has to employ? Not sure how well that would work considering how laws like that work right now.
    And you have to consider the ratio of augmented to not augmented people aswell. Most people would probably be hesitant to replace their body parts with artifial ones. It will depend a lot on the image if the augments I guess.
    They'll probably advertise their products with celebrities and some people will probably buy into that. And as more and more people get them, it might become the "cool" thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    Also what kind of non discirimination laws? Like quotas for the amount of non-augmented people a company has to employ? Not sure how well that would work considering how laws like that work right now.
    as i was saying in my first post, i fully expect this to rear its head in the sporting world, where gains would be far more visible and have a noticeable impact. this is where i feel the world will start taking it more seriously, and be more able to rationally extrapolate the possible effects on society as a whole

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Relying on a company to replace/repair your artificial limb beats being limbless by infinity

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Relying on a company to replace/repair your artificial limb beats being limbless by infinity
    my understanding of the OP's question was where it would be considered an advantage to have one's limbs intentionally removed in order to replace them with a superior advantage

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    my understanding of the OP's question was where it would be considered an advantage to have one's limbs intentionally removed in order to replace them with a superior advantage
    Well, that's a part of it, but in lots of positions, having superiror artifical body parts would definetly give an advantage to getting hired and to preform the job.
    But being reliant on a single company to repair even minor damage would be giving them too much power, wouldn't it?
    Big corporations are already trying to gain more control over the consumers, ala Microsoft patenting the ability to regulate content distribution via observing the viewers. Here's the article on that. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-films-at-home
    Basicly if you want to have, say a group movie night, you'd have to buy licenses (tickets) for everyone watching a movie that you thought you owned.

By replacing your body parts with artificial ones you might even partialy become the property of the company if they simply "license" these body parts out to people and don't actualy give them full ownership.
    Last edited by mmoc40f44cec44; 2012-11-09 at 10:00 PM.

Well, that's a part of it, but in lots of positions, having superiror artifical body parts would definetly give an advantage to get hired and to preform the job.
    But being reliant on a single company to repair even minor damage would be giving them too much power, wouldn't it?
    Big corporations are already trying to gain more control over the consumers, ala Microsoft patenting the ability to regulate content distribution via observing the viewers. Here's the article on that. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-films-at-home

By replacing your body parts with artificial ones you might even partialy become the property of the company if they simply "license" these body parts out to people and don't actualy give them full ownership.
    there is fairly good competition out there as far as medical tech goes. there is a lot of money in it. but yeah, if there is no regulation as far as keeping thing "proprietary" there could be some serious problems

No, wich is a scary thought. Considering you will be reliant on the companies producing the body parts to repair or replace your damaged ones, and if your eye or arm malfunctions, that's not something you can hold off on getting replaced either.
    lol also gotta worry what if you cant pay for the body part, they gonna send the repoman after you :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    As a side note, you should all be aware that the US military is the leading developer of artificial body parts, and their ultimate goal is to be able to take a crippled soldier and be able to repair him to fighting condition.

So if you truly desire artificial limbs that are better than organic ones, I would advise also being opposed to cutting the Pentagon's budget.
    Dragoons and Immortals are just around the corner! ^_^
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

wtb nano-machines rebuilding tissue with carbon nano-tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    As a side note, you should all be aware that the US military is the leading developer of artificial body parts, and their ultimate goal is to be able to take a crippled soldier and be able to repair him to fighting condition.

So if you truly desire artificial limbs that are better than organic ones, I would advise also being opposed to cutting the Pentagon's budget.
    a thought on the military thing... would they ever have "military grade" prosthetics, that were the property of the military, and taken back when one left service? and would they be replaced with a civilian model?

Deleted
    a thought on the military thing... would they ever have "military grade" prosthetics, that were the property of the military, and taken back when one left service? and would they be replaced with a civilian model?
    Quite possible actualy. I doubt the military would like their decommissioned soldiers walking around in public with military grade implants if they can't monitor them. Not only because of safety issues but what if one of them decides to try and sell it to who ever would like military grade hardware and has the money for it. Also Deus Ex again, the first boss in HR could transform his arm into a pretty big machine gun, while I'm not sure how practical that would actualy be in a war, you wouldn't want something like that walking around among the general populace.

A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

Deleted
    I don't know why, but the music near the end of that intro is just amazing. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Can artificial limbs heal themselves if injured?
    No, but they can be replaced. If I cut my finger or go blind, I can never replace said finger or eyes.

That said, I fear something like Deus Ex franchise might actually happen. The pro-augments, the anti-augments and the ones who want to control the augments is a very scary and very possible future. Companies will now actually have a true power to control people's lives, since they produce their "parts", and there will be a huge rift between anti and pro augments supporters. It might lead to civil unrest everywhere. But not now. Maybe in 50 years. We'll see it when we're old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I think Deus Ex HR has a very good warning about augmentations and artificial limbs. It will need to be something regulated, something that can be doled out to those who need it (like getting a new eyeball) but because it also gives people power, it can be abused. And now its at the point where they can abuse YOU directly.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Edinburgh, Scotland. You know, that place with the castle.
    the first battlefield will be in the athletic world imo, where these advantages will be showcased and really stand out first
    If there's going to be any body augmentation on the proposed scale, it will probably see first use on THE battlefield.

Deleted
    Yes, the divide between augmented and non augmented people should be interesting. But would replacing our body parts with artificial ones affect our evolution? And even if it does, we would be able to compensate for it with even more augments. We'd essentialy give each individual power over his own evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Honestly, I think Deus Ex HR has a very good warning about augmentations and artificial limbs. It will need to be something regulated, something that can be doled out to those who need it (like getting a new eyeball) but because it also gives people power, it can be abused. And now its at the point where they can abuse YOU directly.
    Yes, regulations like that would solve a lot of problems with this issue, but we do live in a free, capitalistic society. Shouldn't you be allowed to do with your body whatever you like as long as you have the money for it? If people were prohibited from it, we'd probably get complains about our freedoms being cut, and the companies who produce these augments would fight against it aswell, since it would most likely reduce their sales a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by stuartj1992 View Post
    If there's going to be any body augmentation on the proposed scale, it will probably see first use on THE battlefield.
    except that athletic field battle has already happened

10+ Year Old Account
    Edinburgh, Scotland. You know, that place with the castle.
    except that athletic field battle has already happened
    Not quite sure that counts - the athletes with the artificial legs, for example, have them first and foremost to be able to walk in the first place and only because they are lacking the natural limbs themselves. Body augmentation, to my understanding, would be replacing natural, working limbs for the sole purpose of improved performance and functionality - which to my knowledge, has yet to happen.