Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

General Petraeus Steps Down

Was directed to this article: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/natio...178159541.html

Central Intelligence Agency Director David Petraeus has resigned, citing "extremely poor judgment" for having an extramarital affair.
    Before I start, I would like to issue a disclaimer. I am not one to take to conspiracy theories. I feel that the coverage Fox news has been giving is far too speculative and assuming for them to have any real credibility on the issue. That said, I have a hard time not questioning this. Why is he stepping down now? And over an affair? It doesn't strike me as something that he would have to resign over.

Can somebody fill me in? Am I missing something? And, for the record, I am not saying that this is part of a conspiracy. I'm just puzzled by this.

Edit:
    Military justice considers extramarital affairs—ripe ground for blackmailing—to be security threats and possible grounds for court martial, The AP reported.
    There is this, so that could explain why he would step down.
    Last edited by Grizzly Willy; 2012-11-11 at 07:47 PM.

What does his job have to do with having an affair?

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Nothing really, but an image of impropriety in unacceptable in the US.

Personally, I don't think this should be a reason for him to step down at all, but the media will tear him apart for this and it is the last thing that the Obama administration wants right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fully expecting Fox to cite this as part of the Benghazi conspiracy.

Deleted
    Integrity. You can ask what happens in the shady offices of CIA then anyways, but it reflects poorly on his integrity as a leader and a holder of a somewhat trusted position. On an unrelated note, I liked that previous guy that lead the army more, Stanley McChrystal.

EDIT: Or this, as you cited: "Military justice considers extramarital affairs—ripe ground for blackmailing—to be security threats and possible grounds for court martial, The AP reported."

I'm completely unaware of what a "Benghazi conspiracy" refers to.
    Last edited by mmoc859327f960; 2012-11-09 at 11:45 PM.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I'm fully expecting Fox to cite this as part of the Benghazi conspiracy.
    Just stop already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pardon? They're talking about it now on Special Report with Brett Baier, and mentioned how it could be related to Benghazi.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't watch Fox News. I don't watch TV really.

I just get tired of the "LOLOLOL FOX NEWS DERP!11!!!1"

Discuss the topic. If you want to discuss Fox News, feel free to do so in a topic about that.

I'm extremely disappointed that he has to resign over an affair. I understand the danger of blackmail, but we put way too much value on private life.

Pretty sure right wing reaction to the story is relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except I'm not calling them dumb. I'm just stating an expectation. Steve Hayes offered a reasonable explanation for how it could be related; he is stepping down because the affair affected his judgement in handling the situation. That's discussing the way the scenario relates to Benghazi without being outlandish.

That’s a shame. I really liked Peteraus. But the policy makes sense, especially for director of the CIA.

This also kills any speculation of a possible future political career
    Last edited by Olo; 2012-11-10 at 12:03 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Nothing really, but an image of impropriety in unacceptable in the US.
    I'm not so sure about that. People still swoon over Bill Clinton and the prospect of him some how having a third term despite his fondness for sharing his cigars in the oval office.

It's a shame that Petraeus is stepping down from his job and its a shame he had an affair. From what I've heard, he was a damn good general in Iraq and I had assumed he would be one of the first CIA directors in a while to have some integrity. But, maybe that's why he chose to step down. I think its good if he views such a prestigious and important job as requiring a person of impeccable 'honour' to do it and, maybe feeling bad about his fuck up, decided to resign. I'd respect a decision like that. Though, from what I gather of his professional competence, it's a shame that he's quitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    That’s a shame. I really liked Peteraus. But the policy makes sense, especially for director of the CIA.

Perhaps not. People love a redemption story, and plenty of people on both sides loved Petraeus.

The explanation I've heard is that this could have put him at risk of blackmail, which is a potentially serious threat for the head of the CIA.
    Last edited by tantojutsu; 2012-11-10 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    never stopped newt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Nothing. But that's America..

Bill Maher summed that one up once, during his New Rules segment about the French...
    Here's the part that applies to this case:

Madame Royal's opponent [Nicolas Sarkozy] is married, but they live apart and lead separate lives. And the people are okay with that for the same reason they're okay with nude beaches; because they're not a nation of six-year-olds who scream and giggle if they see pee-pee parts!

They have weird ideas about privacy. They think it should be private. In France, even the mistresses have mistresses. To not have a lady on the side says to the voters, "I'm no good at multi-tasking."
    In the US it's really the 180 degree opposite to that satirical statement..

Quote Originally Posted by tantojutsu View Post
    The explanation I've heard is that this could have put him at risk of blackmail, which is a potentially serious threat for the head of the CIA.
    Doesn't the fact that it is in the public domain negate that now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    Perhaps not. People love a redemption story, and plenty of people on both sides loved Petraeus.
    I consider myself a pacifist, yet I still liked Patraeus. I have always had a high admiration of highly skilled strategists, and soldiers who show a great deal of humanity.
    I also like Wesley Clark for the same reasons.