Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Add it to the stack of frivolous lawsuits that muck up our courts.
    Which doesn't mean anything in regard of win or loss....
    Remember the old lady who sued MickyD for 1 mio and won. Because she spilled a cup of coffee in her lap..

This case here might look silly at the first glance. But at a closer look.. They may actually have a case. Not so much for themselves here, but to force Blizzard to make their products safer. One can do just so much to protect themselves from harm. There is no 100% guarantee though.
    Besides, I don't have knowledge of the trade laws in place. So I really cannot judge to what extent the lawsuit is frivolous..

One thing I do know, that lets say a car manufacturer doesn't sell you a car, and then charges you extra for the key to lock it.
    This may be stretching it, but it seems that's the direction they are aiming at.

how fuking stupid can you be, it's optional to get one and you can get one for free

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    its not their responsibility to.
    they provide you a user name and password system. if the user gets a a keylogging program on their computer I fail to see how it is of any concern of software company. The exact same way as I would fail to see how it is the problem of the phone company if someone breaks into my house uses my phone to call someone.
    That's just a single situation, and the least used strategy to hack into WoW accounts.

Food for thoughts....
    I have different email addresses, for different security levels and such..
    It's amazing how I get wow spoof mail on email accounts that have nothing to do with my wow..
    keyloggers? certainly not. I know a little more than just a thing or two about computer safety.

They have other ways...
    Here's btw. the only plausible connection to the spoof..
    When I use email address xyz to attach it exclusively to a certain Guild Web Service, and a few weeks down the road that acct receives spoof.. Even though that email addy is nowhere else used for WoW reasons...
    Interesting food for thoughts, ain't it?

So, nope. Keyloggers are really not the top choice. larger databases of player information are a much more lucrative aim for hackers..

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 05:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Caribald View Post
    how fuking stupid can you be, it's optional to get one and you can get one for free
    How about you think again.....
    It's the optional part they are after... it shouldn't be optional, it should be a default part of the product.
    Plus it wasn't always free...

Deleted
    Fail lawsuit.

Deleted
    The lawsuit is idiotic. But then people have been known to sue God or dead people, so...

10+ Year Old Account
    That is just dumb, the security features blizzard offers are basicly free, now a days many have phones that supports the app, or ipads. And the little authenticator dongle is so cheap anyways. Just dumb to drag a company to court for something as small as this. You lose more money than you gain by dragging this sort of case to court.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Good news is that the idiot won't have any money left to do anything stupid again once this is over.

Deleted
    Ehh I remember when the dongle came out and it cost £10. That is unfairly charging a customer for after purchase security that could be (and now is) free.

If you had to pay £10 for something and they just started making it free and they knew all along that it could be free then shit.

If they included a free authenticator it gives the wrong message to people about their security , if you want the extra protection then by all means it's offered but not needed. The next suit would be , Blizzard forced me to use an authenticator and I still got hacked .. so I'm suing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    But I can see what he's coming from. They don't do much to stop hackers.
    Unless you are targetted specific and a good deal of time is spent just deciphering your specific password, then yeah, they're very secure. It's a second, completely unrelated, pile of work just to figure out the "seed."
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    it's not remotely legit, it will get thrown out, Blizzard will have its time wasted and whichever boneheads brought the "case" to the attention of these bottom-feeding lawyers will lose whatever amount of money they paid said lawyers.[COLOR="red"]
    This is the only reason this lawsuit even exists - idiots walked into a lawyer's office, and the lawyer decided to part fools with their money.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Quote Originally Posted by Gavril View Post
    If they included a free authenticator it gives the wrong message to people about their security , if you want the extra protection then by all means it's offered but not needed. The next suit would be , Blizzard forced me to use an authenticator and I still got hacked .. so I'm suing them.
    Those people who would interpret the message incorrectly are the kind of people who don't understand how network security works anyway. It's not really much of an excuse.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Don't we all know that in the US of A people sue for anything?
    Not all people in the USA will sue for anything. We do have some sensible people in this country. However, just like any other developed country, we have a class of citizens who believe they are entitled to a lot more than they actually are, and with the mess that is the USA's litigation system, they decide to make a fool of themselves and try to win some money.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope the ones whom brought the case up, that they lose. They deserve it, it might have been something back when it was new, but now it's basicly nothing. Consider the small amount you pay to be payment for making, advertise and shipping for that piece of plastic you bought
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Which doesn't mean anything in regard of win or loss....
    Remember the old lady who sued MickyD for 1 mio and won. Because she spilled a cup of coffee in her lap..
    Please educate yourself on what actually happened. The lady didn't sue McDonalds for 1 million. She sued them because they refused to cover her medical bills, which were over $10,000, and piling up. She only asked for $20,000. It went into the millions because the jury awarded punitive damages on top of covering her medical and legal costs.

She didn't just "spill coffee in her lap". She was served a superheated liquid, well over boiling point, that caused major, third degree burns, requiring skin grafts. She was unable to work for months as she was in the hospital, and McDonalds offered her the princely sum of $800. I don't think it's in any way reasonable for a restaurant that serves food to the public to hand out coffee so hot that it will cause third degree burns on 6% of her body. Yes, she spilled it while removing the lid, but this can happen to anyone. Which is why McDonalds is responsible for not giving out coffee well above 100C. It's a public safety issue.

I know it's really easy to treat this case as a caricature of the excesses of litigiousness, but this is most emphatically not a case of "dumb bitch spilled some coffee and got 2 million dollars for nothing".
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Those people who would interpret the message incorrectly are the kind of people who don't understand how network security works anyway. It's not really much of an excuse.
    No you are right , but if I told you when you bought something that no had no choice but to get the extended warranty as it's just better this way - I would think twice about the products reliability. I agree they should include them but there has even been blue posts on why they don't

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    My authenticator is free. So where is the deal ?
    According to very reliable sources - that aren't cited because "fanbois" wouldn't believe them anyway - Blizzard makes 70% profit from that one !

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Anyone bringing this up would do well to read up on the actual Stella Liebeck case.

Liebeck vs McDonalds was absolutely a 100% legit lawsuit because McDonalds showed repeated and willful negligence.

Deleted
    wonder if the person will enjoy paying blizzards legal fees.

but the fact is firms are only forced by law toi protect what is on their server, so you could sue over the servers getting hacked a while back (if you could prove you deserved damages) but all laws say the security of your own computer and information you give out is entirely your own responsibility.

so you get hacked by a keylogger, middleman, phishing or other method it has nothing to do with blizzard, it entirly comes down to the user, so really this court case will go nowhere as it is your own responsibility to protect your end, and the authenticator is protecting the information from your end, saying an authenticator should come with the game is saying every online product should give you a free virus scan.

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    According to very reliable sources - that aren't cited because "fanbois" wouldn't believe them anyway - Blizzard makes 70% profit from that one !
    Their reliable source is a blogger called "Daeity", who has many years of history of open Blizzard-bashing and has been shown to falsify "evidence" supporting his views, which have been debunked on dozens of occasions. Only the most rabid anti-blizzard individuals would put any stock into anything he says these days.

At one point he even claimed that his life was in danger from revealing super secret Blizzard plans (after Blizzard already made them public at BlizzCon, of all places), so you have to realize this guy is at about the same level as people claiming that "the US government is hiding aliens in Fort Knox".

But like with all outrageous conspiracy theories, anyone talking against them are just labeled "blind sheeple" or "fanbois" or something similar to disparage the view of common sense.
    Last edited by Joán; 2012-11-10 at 12:51 PM.