What to upgrade?

I''ve been getting very uneven and low FPS on games lately. On Battlefield 3, I'm averaging about 40-50 FPS on high settings. Other games, such as CS:GO or Just Cause 2, I'm always higher than 60 FPS without any frame rate issues.

My specs are:
    Motherboard - MSI 870A Fuzion
    GPU - Radeon HD 6970
    RAM - 8 GB DDR3
    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 running at 3.41 GHz

I'm considering upgrading some of my hardware, but I'm not certain what to upgrade to get most bang for the buck. CPU seems like the reasonable thing to upgrade at first. I'm trying to keep a reasonable budget, so I'm not looking for any CPU, GPU etc. that is over 500$.

Get a i5-3570K(CPU) and ASRock Z77 Extreme4(motherboard). That comes out to like around $330.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Get a i5-3570K(CPU) and ASRock Z77 Extreme4(motherboard). That comes out to like around $330.
    This is a fine suggestion...plus if you live near MicroCenter you can get this exact combo for about $250!

Quote Originally Posted by Targaryen View Post
    This is a fine suggestion...plus if you live near MicroCenter you can get this exact combo for about $250!
    I'd personally just wait another cpu gen, b4 upgrading the 965 still sells to this day. O.C that bad boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Targaryen View Post
    I live in Norway, so no luck there.

So Intel is the way to go if I'll be upgrading my CPU?

Quote Originally Posted by Audox View Post
    I live in Norway, so no luck there.

So Intel is the way to go if I'll be upgrading my CPU?
    An i5-3570K is the next logical step in upgrading your CPU.