Page 1 of 148
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

[Prot] Fix my Tanking!

Fix my Tanking!

What this thread for:

• To help people who have put forth the effort into learning their class/spec and want to see how and where they may be going wrong when not getting the numbers you want. If you cant, on your own, figure out what more needs to be done, and want some "expert" opinions this is the place is for you!
    • Players with experience will be here to help you and explain what's going wrong and where. This is not to flame or make fun of people, if you do that "You're gonna have a bad time".
    • To learn and see, by example, where other Paladins have been falling short, and to use this information and help you further!

Before you post!:

Go over the stickied threads and other resources!
    [MOP] Protection Paladin Guide
    Sacred Duty: A Protection Paladin Blog
    MainTankadin

And other resources your fellow posters have put effort into providing you!

How to post:

This is a big part in helping you out. The more (relevant) information you give us, the better we will be able to serve you! This includes:
    • Your Armory
    • World of Logs or any other parses you have from the fights.
    • Your spec/glyphs for each individual fight you post questions for IF different than what's on your armory. You can use WoWhead's talent calculator for this!
    • Any information on why you think you might be having a problem. Highlight your rotation, CD usage, and any other information you think will help it. The more details and the more specific you are, the better!

Once you have all that information compiled, fill this out with any

HTML Code:
    [B]Armory Link:[/B]
    [B]Alternate Specs/Glyphs:[/B]
    [B]Worldoflogs Link:[/B]
    [B]Questions, concerns, expectations:[/B]
    [B]Description of Playstyle:[/B]

Anything outside of what's there feel free to post in a freeform style below that. PLEASE use the template though for sake of ease.

What not to post:

• Logs bragging about how awesome you are. These will be removed. This is to help people, not flex your epeen. Want to show off? Show off with how smart you are and help others out!
    • Flaming, and hate. This will NOT be tolerated in any form. You're here to help people, not degrade people. If you flame and hate on people though, "You're gonna have a bad time"
    • Questions about HOW to gear, HOW to spec, HOW to reforge. Utilize the other tools on the forum to figure out the answers to these questions. If you can't find it, feel free to post in the utility threads and ask!

IF YOU ARE RESPONDING!

Make sure to address the person by name when you post! This will help prevent confusion and any mixups that might be had.

Be polite! Don't degrade, flame, or attack people.

Make your posts clear and concise! Go point by point rather than rambling away!

Finally:

If you're not posting for yourself, make sure you have the person's permission to post their armory and links. Nothing is worse than "that awkward moment" when you find your own armory on here. If you're posting on behalf of someone else, remember this is a public forum and they can see what you say. Don't let it bite you in the ass.

All threads which fit into this type will be merged into here from now on, and this will remain a "timeless" thread.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2012-11-09 at 06:53 PM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    Not sure what the policy is with mods linking to other sites, but it may benefit those looking for advice if you chuck in the essentials like sacredduty, maintankadin and maybe tankspot into the pre-requisite content. It's all in the guide but just cleans everything up.
    It's okay to link out (within reason and context), so I added Sacredduty, Maintankadin to the pre-requistie! Thanks!

Any other tips feel free to add!
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

What is this guy doing wrong?

Right, so I joined this guild about two-three weeks ago and I'm a prot paladin.
    This here, is my Guildmaster.(http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...oovin/advanced)

Ive been trying to explain to him to get more hit and expertise and also stop gemming like a rainbow.... can someone please give me some backup? I plan on linking this to him later today(if there will be any feedback).

(Not sure if this counts as naming and shaming, I apologize if it does.)

Deleted
    @Cathis;
    Imo tank shouldn't stack exp and hit, sure it gives better control but if you can't manage to keep aggro without it i would actually say your a bad tank.

If you check the gems in mop you get doubble the ammount of secondary stat for example you can get a 160 int gem but if you get a gem with secondary stats you will get 320 of that stat critt for example. Also it's probably worth going for the socket bonus rather than just stacking a shit ton of stamina... I mean getting that huge ammount of stamina doesn't really matter if you don't have avoidance.

Btw does he actually lose aggro during raids?
    Last edited by Krekko; 2012-11-10 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    Imo tank shouldn't stack exp and hit, sure it gives better control but if you can't manage to keep aggro without it i would actually say your a bad tank.
    Nobody stacks exp/hit for aggro. You stack it so you can get more resources for more active mitigation.

This guy cant keep aggro of two hounds in MSV...

If you check the gems in mop you get doubble the ammount of secondary stat for example you can get a 160 int gem but if you get a gem with secondary stats you will get 320 of that stat critt for example. Also it's probably worth going for the socket bonus rather than just stacking a shit ton of stamina... I mean getting that huge ammount of stamina doesn't really matter if you don't have avoidance. Also you shouldn't try to discuss paladin tanking with your GM if you don't have a single clue about how tanks work...
    The guy you quoted seems to know more about paladin tanking than you do.

You don't use expertise and hit for the threat anymore. You use it for higher ShoR uptime. Stamina is a perfectly viable stat to gem for when at 15% expertise and 7.5% hit.

Avoidance is worth fuck all for paladins right now. Hit, Expertise, Haste, Stamina and Mastery are where it is at (in that order).

@OP: If you would like to, you can link my guide (see the link in the signature) over on TankSpot in the OP.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-11-10 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post

You don't use expertise and hit for the threat anymore. You use it for higher ShoR uptime. Stamina is a perfectly viable stat to gem for when at 15% expertise and 7.5% hit.
    He loses aggro to a warrior after he pops wings.
    I know that you use hit/expertise for Sotr uptime

Quote Originally Posted by Cathias View Post
    I know that you use hit/expertise for Sotr uptime
    Then he needs to get better at the rotation

CS J X - CS X J - CS X X

Replace X for Holy Wrath, Avenger's Shield, Hammer of Wrath, Consecration, Sacred Shield

Who was this pointed towards? sorry to ask, confused myself ;p

Who was this pointed towards? sorry to ask, confused myself ;p
    This guy right here, post was in a merged thread:

I have no real idea of what I'm doing but here goes.

I went for softcap of hit and exp and then stacked mastery.

What I don't really have an idea of is just how better it would be to get the hardcap for expertise and sacrifice a huge amount of mastery to get there.

Also what trinkets? Not counting the two I have equipped I have Brewmaster trinkets (the dodge one and one of the pure stamina ones) and Heart of fire (mastery and on use dodge)

Can't post links but my char is Shippai on EU Grim Batol

Are you sure Righteous Fury is on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post
    He doesn't need a source to know that he pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.” - Christopher Hitchens

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shippai View Post
    I have no real idea of what I'm doing but here goes.

I went for softcap of hit and exp and then stacked mastery.

What I don't really have an idea of is just how better it would be to get the hardcap for expertise and sacrifice a huge amount of mastery to get there.

Also what trinkets? Not counting the two I have equipped I have Brewmaster trinkets (the dodge one and one of the pure stamina ones) and Heart of fire (mastery and on use dodge)

Can't post links but my char is Shippai on EU Grim Batol
    Hardcapping expertise is well worth it.

On trinkets, use DMC + a stamina brewfest trinket or 2 stamina brewfest trinkets. If you don't have the DMC or can't afford it, or don't have 2 stamina brewfest trinkets, use 1 stamina brewfest trinket and the mastery + dodge use one.

Deleted
    Hit > Exp > Haste > Mastery
    I would far rather roll for Haste Mastery dps items than dodge parry tank items of the same slot, Heck they have more STR on so ill get some parry either way :P
    I hope he isnt rolling with anything other than seal of insight and by the looks of it is totally nerfing your raid by not using "glyph of the battle healer"
    With a full haste build I managed 90k dps and 35k hps on 10 man stoneguard without being difficult to heal at all.

img42.imageshack.us/img42/4079/wowscrnshot110712210852.jpg

With the avoidance build his hp will be spiking all over like a bitch, whack some stamina trinkets on that build and you've practically thrown a mana burn dot all over your healers that keeps ticking till they're oom.
    Last edited by mmocdff3fccd8b; 2012-11-11 at 10:54 AM.

With a full haste build I managed 90k dps and 35k hps on 10 man stoneguard without being difficult to heal at all.
    I wish I was the guy that tanks two mobs for most of the fight

Deleted
    I wish I was the guy that tanks two mobs for most of the fight
    Most? You mean all? :P

Still getting those numbers wasnt easy ^^

I usually end up tanking the "other one" that only takes 10% damage :/

Deleted
    I usually end up tanking the "other one" that only takes 10% damage :/
    I find that rather silly considering the damage+hps paladins pull out by tanking both, especially on heroic.

I mean, im averaging on 50-60k hps on that fight ( heroic ofc with the tiles buff )
    Can't remember dps numbers, so won't pull a number out of my ass.
    Paladins are just insane on that fight, and its like having an extra healer.

Yeah, I'll have to have a word with the other tank.