Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I never went to college. Just because someone has not received validation of their intelligence from one of society's established institutions does not mean that their opinion is not worth as much as someone who has, which seems to be the point you're trying to make. I can see no other reason for posting that image. Unless the point was simply to disparage the intelligence of Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    The GOP needs to drop this silly adherence to primitive mythology. Religion isn't needed anymore. We have moved on past silly superstition and mysticism (well, the modern world has) and realize that it offers nothing but false hope and brainwashing.

If they would drop this crap, i.e. opposition to evolution, opposition to same-sex marriage, sticking their noses in women's bodies, cramming their own primitive form of morality down peoples throat, etc. and focused on their stances on the economy and promotion of self reliance and reward for hard work they would have a much better chance of being relevant again.
    The division between Democrat and Republican cuts very deep. I'm generalizing with that statement, but it's obvious that we (I am a subscriber to what you call a mythology, the Judeo-Christian Bible; that is to what you refer, I assume) likely will never come to an agreement. Kinda scary for both of us, no?

I felt entitled to respond to your post speaking negatively of religion, with a counterpost, but we should both abstain from delving deep into a discussion about religion, as it is against forum rules.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-11-10 at 07:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I never went to college. Just because someone has not received validation of their intelligence from one of society's established institutions does not mean that their opinion is not worth as much as someone who has, which seems to be the point you're trying to make. I can see no other reason for posting that image. Unless the point was simply to disparage the intelligence of Republicans.
    The image speaks for itself. The 10 most educated states (measured by college degrees) voted for Obama. 9 of the 10 least educated voted for Romney. That's an astounding correlation.

My point isn't to ridicule the intelligence of Republicans, its to point out the facts and let people form their own opinions.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Individuals vary, and should be treated as individuals, of course. Formal education is still a highly relevant and useful proxy for both intellect and how well informed an individual is. I don't think you'd really dispute that, right?

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 02:58 PM ----------

The image speaks for itself. The 10 most educated states (measured by college degrees) voted for Obama. 9 of the 10 least educated voted for Romney. That's an astounding correlation.

My point isn't to ridicule the intelligence of Republicans, its to point out the facts and let people form their own opinions.
    Posting facts is mean if the facts don't portray the two political parties as equal in merit!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Posting facts is mean if the facts don't portray the two political parties as equal in merit!
    However, it can also inspire inaccurate assumptions. Look at Arkansas. It may be, statistically speaking, one of the least educated states in America. However, its also the birthplace of Bill Clinton. Who revitalized the democratic party and also faced repeated attempts by the republicans to vilify him. He still, in fact, remains extremely popular, despite raising taxes. So no matter how under educated a region might be. It can still produce some amazing individuals.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    However, it can also inspire inaccurate assumptions. Look at Arkansas. It may be, statistically speaking, one of the least educated states in America. However, its also the birthplace of Bill Clinton. Who revitalized the democratic party and also faced repeated attempts by the republicans to vilify him. He still, in fact, remains extremely popular, despite raising taxes. So no matter how under educated a region might be. It can still produce some amazing individuals.
    See the first chunk of the quoted post above

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    I think people like you are whats wrong with the country. You see this as "Two sides to every story". Tell me please how the opinion of "Global warming is a hoax" is just as valid as the scientifically proven fact of global warming? Tell me please how the opinion of "I do not believe in evolution" is a valid opinion?

There are not two sides of every fact, there are only facts. I think you need to look into this further to understand the error of your statement.
    The two topics you decided to pick aren't very good examples, one can easily say the bolded and be as right as "modern science", there's as many papers issued debunking Global warming as there's been telling us it's all man-made.., there's simply to many unknowns in the equation to 100% say it's all due to us!
    It's the same for "evolution", in all teachings there's a massive leap from ape to modern man and to many missing pieces for anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence to agree 100% with it.

Your not being taught in schools, your being groomed to believe things are in a specific way, but I wouldn't be surprised as most also believe in mass media no matter what's being transmitted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Put simply your vote is incorrect.

A Republican Congressman that's on the Science and Technology Committee (Paul Broun) recently referred to evolution as a "lie from the pit of hell". You don't understand how bugfucking insane American fundamentalists are.
    I think my vote is correct, can you prove me otherwise? No? Well then I'll state by my belief. You have your choice to not belive in a higher being, be it a/some God/s/ess/esses or some magical something, I have my choice to belive in It. Oh, and I have an university degree and I'm fascinated by social sciences, learning more about them, to relate to that picture somewhere on first pages.

And I admit, I don't know how insane some people are, as, as I stated, I took the middle ground saying evolution is part of creationism.
    That said, the fact that they chose a candidate who did belive in evolution, even if, like me, he belives it is part of creationism, doesn't that constitute an advancement? In the end, the candidate to presidency is supposed to represent your party, not some random member somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsaidfred View Post
    <snip>
    Well when it comes to the Civil War era in our history, You have to understand that once the southern states left the union, the Constitution became null. After which Lincoln had to become a de facto leader. That's why we have things like the Department of Justice, which are unconstitutional, but were necesarry during the time period.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The GOP talking heads on conservative radio have been urging the constituents not to change course. I hope they listen.
    If they continue to maintain course, they are soon going to collide with that giant iceberg called Reality, and maybe when they lose some more presidential elections they will start changing their tune, until then they can take their backwater conservative ideals and shove them where the sun don't shine. When they adapt their policies to a more progressive way of thinking and stop being an ominous black cloud of racism and a flaming ball of seething hatred towards homosexuals, maybe they will win an election, but I doubt that will happen.

The college graduate pic there is pretty screwed up.

First, it's chosen carefully. For instance, you don't see voter education or intelligence correlated to party voted for, you just see by state. Second and most importantly, it does that subtle thing that implies that only smart people are really people.

On topic of the thread, the GOP party members won't admit it, but the senior RNC guys already know. The whole party has to get away from the tea party faction, and they've already made changes to reduce the chances of an Akin getting elected again. There's like 70-80m Ds and 50-60m Rs, the Rs will eventually close that gap.

Simply put, in a two party system, one party can't win. Ever. The other party has to shift towards whatever direction gets the votes. Americans are pro-gun, so the Democrats don't bring up gun control much. Americans have shifted leftward in most directions, so you don't see Republicans arguing the same reactionary positions that they did in the 50s, for instance. Both have to move to the centerpoint of where Americans actually are, and the R's have a hard time pulling to that point because of several no-compromise issues that their vocal right wingers won't abandon, making it hard for them to compete right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I took the middle ground saying evolution is part of creationism.
    Must.......not........comment.......

Argggh its so hard.....

I'll just politely say that there is no middle ground when it comes to scientific theories. There are only facts and observations.

They'll try to block everything in Congress so it looks like the Democrat President is ineffective. It's the same crap they always pull; Republicans would rather destroy the country than let a Democrat take credit for improving it. I hope I'm wrong and the GOP won't stonewall everything; Obama has some great stuff if he can get it to pass!

So clearly states that support abortions are the most educated. Guess they're right!
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

im ready to make my prediction: they will try to have their cake and eat it too. they will use a mixed approach of doubling down AND some modifications to appeal to other groups. my guess is they will limit this appeal to one, maybe 2 significant (by significance referring to size) groups, keeping scope narrow but potentially enough to put them over the top. in certain areas they might even put forth more moderate candidates - this happened in places like mass any way - and keep hard liners in the bible belt. they will continue to feed their base through mouthpieces like limbaugh and hannity, while increasing appearances on more liberal stations to promote an image of softness and compassion for other people. this i think is their strategy for 2014, and its success will determine the strategy for 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    The two topics you decided to pick aren't very good examples, one can easily say the bolded and be as right as "modern science", there's as many papers issued debunking Global warming as there's been telling us it's all man-made.., there's simply to many unknowns in the equation to 100% say it's all due to us!
    No there are not. Please don't just come here and make things up.

It's the same for "evolution", in all teachings there's a massive leap from ape to modern man and to many missing pieces for anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence to agree 100% with it.
    Again you're just saying things that have absolutely no backing. Please stop it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    So clearly states that support abortions are the most educated. Guess they're right!
    No one that's sane actually supports abortion, they support a woman's right to choose.

And yeah, they are more educated. Get over it.

Deleted

Why use a state level aggregate? It doesn't tell us if the people voting for Romney are the people who are uneducated. Those who are uneducated might not even be voting, we can't know. You need to look at how many people who identify with the Democratic party have degrees and how many who identify with the Republican party have degrees. You need a sample at the individual level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Why use a state level aggregate? It doesn't tell us if the people voting for Romney are the people who are uneducated. Those who are uneducated might not even be voting, we can't know. You need to look at how many people who identify with the Democratic party have degrees and how many who identify with the Republican party have degrees. You need a sample at the individual level.
    It's quite obviously an imperfect calculation of which party is more educated than the other. It does, however, add to the evidence. Remember the whole Fox News viewers are less informed than people who watch no news at all.

I think the correlation is about as strong as it could be before we make the leap to causation. It's 10/10 and 9/10.

Deleted
    It's quite obviously an imperfect calculation of which party is more educated than the other. It does, however, add to the evidence. Remember the whole Fox News viewers are less informed than people who watch no news at all.

I think the correlation is about as strong as it could be before we make the leap to causation. It's 10/10 and 9/10.
    No, you can't make a leap to causation based on that. You can make a leap to causation based on the Fox News study if it's properly done though.

There are too many variables that your "correlation" leaves out to form conclusions like that. You need a lecture on scientific theory and statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    It seems that the republican party has been in denial for a very long time on a number of issues. Denial about education, denial about America no longer being the "greatest country on earth", America being a Christian nation (it isn't), Denial about evolution, Global warming, the age of the planet, and a plethora of other scientific issues.

Watching the GOP play the blame game and scapegoat everything from the hurricaine, to Romney being a weak candidate, to America full of black and latino voters who "want free shit" has made me realize that they are still in denial. Do you guys think the republican party will admit that they lost based on their ideas being out of touch with the country and change their platform to be more inclusive instead of exclusive? Or will they continue business as usual and further alienate women voters by promising laws limiting their control of their bodies, pressing more de-regulation of banks and big business, and further pursuing their losing platform of 2012?
    People like you are exactly what's wrong with the world...about just as many people voted against Obama as voted for him. And guess what - it's not because they're all racists, bigots, religious fanatics or anti-intellectual, its because they see the Democrats' ideas as woefully naive and incredibly dangerous in the long term. The country will continue a downward spiral so long as people like you and the democratic party claim to have a monopoly on compassion and intelligence...frankly I see very little of either of those from them right now.

Yes, the Republican party will adapt and become more inclusive - yes the perception that democrats have succeeded in crafting n that republicans are evil and hate all that is good in the world will eventually wane. Sure, there are morons in the republican party just as there are in the democrats...I'd put them at maybe 5% of the total. You can continue to believe such nonsense as long as you'd like, you'll just be all more shocked when republicans ideas about economic freedom and personal responsibility gain popularity again...which they will.

Guess what bro - republicans like progress too, just in a smarter way - its not necessary to destroy all that is right about our system in your never ending quest for 'progress', which as far as I can tell is actually just a regress to the failed economic theories of Marx. Frankly, I can think of no better fate for people that voted for the democrats than to let them suffer the consequences of their own stupidity...its probably the only way our course will be corrected.

Infracted: Don't insult people who don't politically agree with you.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-11 at 01:18 AM.