Frostfire bolt as fire mage?

I am a fire mage and i love the animation for frostfire bolt. So my question is, can you use frostfire bolt as a filler spell instead of fireball. does it decrease dps or enhance dps?

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you use the Glyph theres no difference, but you will need to sacrifice a Major Glyph slot to do it

If you do that, you will have to sacrifice a glyph slot for the glyph of frostfire bolt. they both have the same spell power scaling.

thanks for the quick reply and the advice

i used the glyph for a while, and while an extra slow is handy i still prefer fireball, better ignites
    Whoops, sig too big

The added slow from FFB might actually make glyphing it beneficial on Will of the Emperor. Not only is it a built in slow but using the unglyphed Combustion is debatably better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalfeinn View Post
    i used the glyph for a while, and while an extra slow is handy i still prefer fireball, better ignites
    How is fireball better ignites when they both gain the exact same from spell power, crit and mastery? They are identical and produce identical ignites.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

As others have mentioned, you'll have to give up a Glyph slot, but it's otherwise equal. Really though, the Glyphs are largely situational. Really though, this isn't much of a burden at all, as Fire Blast and Evo are the only Glyphs really wouldn't want to be without for PvE Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalfeinn View Post
    There's no difference in ignites between the two.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    As others have mentioned, you'll have to give up a Glyph slot, but it's otherwise equal. Really though, the Glyphs are largely situational. Really though, this isn't much of a burden at all, as Fire Blast and Evo are the only Glyphs really wouldn't want to be without for PvE Fire.
    Even Evocate is situational depending on whether you're doing a fight that benefits more from using Rune of Power. There is no single Mage glyph that we'd be dumb not to use in every fight, though Fire Blast and Combustion probably benefit us most frequently.