Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Blanket Silences vs severe lack of Disarms.

Something has bothered me since the Wrath of the Lich King to Cataclysm class changes/abilities; Disarms went out the window with nearly every Class.

While in that Blanket Silence the Caster effectively cannot do anything. There are currently thirteen Blanket Silence abilities across the board. In addition; Casters must watch out for nine other interrupt abilities. Now on the otherside of the board - Currently only three class/specs currently have Disarm effects (Shadow Priest - Psychic Horror| Warrior - Disarm | Rogue - Dismantle).

That's a ratio of 22:3.

To write it down in cold letters - There are 22 abilities to interrupt or Blanket Silence a caster in game as of now. There are only three abilities to disarm.

Weapon Chains are hardly used anymore. Even in high rated arenas.
    Discuss.

Monks have disarm too bro.

Weapon chains don't need to be used because pvp set bonuses do the same thing now for melees(warrior at least).

Also, Silences affect almost everyone in some way, so do disarms. its not a straight caster vs melee thing.

Hunters pets can do it as well i believe

10+ Year Old Account
    dont forget monks and their grapple weapon. not that it completely evens things out. some spells simply make sense based on the class. i would expect a monk could take somebody's weapon. i would expect a warrior could wrestle somebody's weapon away. i would expect a caster would know how to silence. i do suppose though, a caster could invent a spell that would make a weapon sort of vanish for a few seconds. its an idea for thought. maybe something blizzard should think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Slows affect melee characters more than they do ranged, so I'd say it balances out.

alot of silences can be dispelled and interrupts juked but you cant avoid a disarm unless you dodge or parry it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Slows affect melee characters more than they do ranged, so I'd say it balances out.

And there's a lot of them.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Keep in mind that different classes are affected differently by disarms and silences. Death Knights, for one example, are fairly well disabled when disarmed or silenced whereas Mages aren't affected by disarms at all.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    im curious what does a silence do on a hunter? cause i like trolling the 80 bracket on my 80 mage and theres a certian hunter i always get paired agienst and they just rape me unless i save combustion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

There are also a ton of snares and roots.

I do believe that this game (PvP) has gotten out of hand.

The last thing this game needs is more CC. I'd be happy if they would rework the whole CC system.

That's why you have slows and roots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obby View Post
    im curious what does a silence do on a hunter? cause i like trolling the 80 bracket on my 80 mage and theres a certian hunter i always get paired agienst and they just rape me unless i save combustion
    Silence does nearly nothing verse a hunter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà View Post
    Keep in mind that different classes are affected differently by disarms and silences. Death Knights, for one example, are fairly well disabled when disarmed or silenced whereas Mages aren't affected by disarms at all.
    Silences no longer heavily affect Death Knights. - I know. I play one.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguez101 View Post
    alot of silences can be dispelled and interrupts juked but you cant avoid a disarm unless you dodge or parry it
    That gives justice to the insane ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Debatable. While casters can attack from a range - Most casters get caught for five plus seconds without a healer they're pretty squished.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunters have a disarming pet.

Warlocks can also have a pet that can disarm.

So, DKs, Shamans, Paladins, Druids, and Mages are the only classes that cant disarm. Thats half the number of classes- lets see who doesn't get silences.

Shamans cant silence out of Symb.

Paladins cant silence.

Now, there are a bit "iffy" things. Next patch, Warriors wont be able to silence players. Only Balance druids can silence players (Although it is the most powerful silence in the game). Shadow Priests can also silence, holy/disc can't. Warlocks, like Disarm, have to choose a pet to silence. Mages, while they dont have a disarm, do have a 3 sec silence on a 24 sec cooldown. Monks have it nasty- a 5 sec silence on a 15 second CD.

Generally, it seems you either get a disarm or a silence, with Monks and Spriests being the exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    And there's a lot of them.
    Yes but some slow only movement, some slow attackspeed aswell

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 08:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Hunters have a disarming pet.

Warlocks can also have a pet that can disarm.

So, DKs, Shamans, Paladins, Druids, and Mages are the only classes that cant disarm. Thats half the number of classes- lets see who doesn't get silences.

Shamans cant silence out of Symb.

Paladins cant silence.

Now, there are a bit "iffy" things. Next patch, Warriors wont be able to silence players. Only Balance druids can silence players (Although it is the most powerful silence in the game). Shadow Priests can also silence, holy/disc can't. Warlocks, like Disarm, have to choose a pet to silence. Mages, while they dont have a disarm, do have a 3 sec silence on a 24 sec cooldown. Monks have it nasty- a 5 sec silence on a 15 second CD.

Generally, it seems you either get a disarm or a silence, with Monks and Spriests being the exception.
    I think he ment Silence/interupts

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredmana View Post
    Something has bothered me since the Wrath of the Lich King to Cataclysm class changes/abilities; Disarms went out the window with nearly every Class.

While in that Blanket Silence the Caster effectively cannot do anything. There are currently thirteen Blanket Silence abilities across the board. In addition; Casters must watch out for nine other interrupt abilities. Now on the otherside of the board - Currently only three class/specs currently have Disarm effects (Shadow Priest - Psychic Horror| Warrior - Disarm | Rogue - Dismantle).

To write it down in cold letters - There are 22 abilities to interrupt or Blanket Silence a caster in game as of now. There are only three abilities to disarm.

Discuss.
    And yet casters are perfectly fine if not very powerful. If you want to nerf blanket silences/pummels expect massive nerfs to casters across the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Boomkins get a disarm if they cast symbiosis on a Monk fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredmana View Post

Discuss.
    weapon chains are pretty much required by melee and melee hyrbids for arena if you know you are going to be facing a team that has a disarm. high rated players usually maintain two weapons, one with a chain, one with out.

a lot more things are vulnerable to silences and interrupts then are vulnerable to disarms iirc. only rets, enhance shamans and dks are vulnerable to both.

blanket silences are pretty skill less in my opinion, but most of them are on hefty cooldowns which means they require an iota of strategy to use effectively and can be used to control a team offensively as well as defensively protect your own team.

disarms are a much more defensive ability in my experiences, often allowing some one to shut down melee burst of a class that is hard to peel, for instance disarming a warr during reck/avatar or a hunter during bestial wrath is one of the few ways to control these classes ( though it cant do anything about being soloed by a hunter zoo)

compare silencing a ret to prevent a snare break/wings is just as effective as disarming to prevent pressure during holy avenger.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    And yet casters are perfectly fine if not very powerful. If you want to nerf blanket silences/pummels expect massive nerfs to casters across the board.
    Excluding healers for a sec (different subject in terms of power) the only caster that is doing fine (both in the past and atm) are mages.

It may come as a shocker for some people but overall their are more non mages out their then mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Obby View Post
    Doesn't silence prevent hunters from using traps? Or at least it used to. >_>