Page 10 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Do we have to? Can't we just let them go and tell them to take the rest of the South with them?
    if the north could do without the south the civil war would never have happened. yankees needed our crops, slaves and natural resources and considering the economic crisis is directly related to the 'art of moving money around', which cities like NYC are built on, you'd really be in some shit

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Yeah, but what's the point of saying those things?
    A counter point to statements that fail to look at both sides of the equation.

Man I feel like there needs to be a link to "angry white people mourning romney's loss" in here.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    WTF they were trying to ban water ?!?!?!
    Yeah, that video was kinda funny. People are sheep. What!?!?! That sounds complicated and ominous! I must be against it! What were we talking about again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Texas wouldnt leave because they would never get the international backing for any foreign trade. It doesnt need to come to war any longer when you can be completely locked out of even being able to port a ship or fly a plane through foreign airspace to shut down foreign trade. Eventually, Texas would beg to be let back in as a state.

As for needing the natural resources from Texas, ask the middle east what happens over oil.
    Yeah, you're probably right, but assuming that somehow Texas was financially sound and was prosperous while still refusing to rejoin the rest of the states, the U.S. likely wouldn't hesitate to use force.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 05:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Man I feel like there needs to be a link to "angry white people mourning romney's loss" in here.
    I have a feeling that would result in a lot of flaming, many people getting infracted, and the thread being closed.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right, but assuming that somehow Texas was financially sound and was prosperous while still refusing to rejoin the rest of the states, the U.S. likely wouldn't hesitate to use force.
    it wouldn't be possible to be prosperous though. go lock yourself in your room and never leave and tell me how that goes. that's how secession would be and at best, we start another civil war

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was the Declaration of Independence. Even if this was law, the Form of Government would have to "become destructive of these ends (the rights specified above)." No one in their right mind would believe that the U.S. is currently destructive of these rights, so I don't see how it could be legal for Texas to leave the U.S. peacefully or no based on this document.
    It wasn't legal for the U.S. to leave great britain based on this document but they did it. Legals just a word. For instance it wasn't legal for obama to run for president as his father was never a citizen but he did it twice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quick history lesson:

The South lost the Civil War simply because they didn't have the resources to fight anything beyond a guerilla-style war in their own Territories. As the years of the war went on, the South was getting ravaged, and wanted to open up trade to Europe to bolster their own resources. The assault on the Union (i.e. Gettysburg) was an attempt to show Europe that they were to be taken seriously as a Nation-state, and were powerful enough to fight the conflict on their own terms. They wanted Europe to think they could win, so that opening trade with the Confederacy would be worth alienating the United States.

History shows that they couldn't, they didn't, and they failed.

150 years later, the same is still true. Any new Civil War would fail for the exact same reason.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daftone View Post
    It wasn't legal for the U.S. to leave great britain based on this document but they did it. Legals just a word. For instance it wasn't legal for obama to run for president as his father was never a citizen but he did it twice.
    Seriously, just stop already with the conspiracies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    it wouldn't be possible to be prosperous though. go lock yourself in your room and never leave and tell me how that goes. that's how secession would be and at best, we start another civil war
    I'm not denying that it wouldn't be prosperous. I was mostly just saying how I think it likely happen assuming that a situation in which Texas became a prosperous independent country, as in, just a hypothetical situation, sorry for not being entirely clear on that and causing confusing.

Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Seriously, just stop already with the conspiracies.
    Its not just a conspiracy, he is also getting his absolute facts mixed up. It doesnt matter if your parents are citizens are not. Only if YOU YOURSELF are a natural born citizen, which he is.

If any state decided to succeed it would be silenced and more then likely the citizens who wanted to succeed would be killed because of shelling or trialed for treason against the united states. And to be quite frank it would be stupid for texas to succeed. they need the federal government a lot more then they think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    A counter point to statements that fail to look at both sides of the equation.
    Which would be ignorant to the amounts on each side and which are really significant.

I think what's hilarious about this whole thing is the way things would fall apart for any state that did secede without federal funding and oversight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockndrop View Post
    If any state decided to succeed it would be silenced and more then likely the citizens who wanted to succeed would be killed because of shelling or trialed for treason against the united states. And to be quite frank it would be stupid for texas to succeed. they need the federal government a lot more then they think.
    The U.S. is not like that, we wouldn't kill a few hundred thousand people to quell ideas, while some of the ringleaders might be put on trial and jailed, their followers would not be. If the United States was ever like that, most of the people in the South during the Reconstruction Era would have been killed. I know that times change and everything, but even if the U.S. decided somehow to do this, they would be stopped by the rest of the world for being extremely inhumane.

Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Holy shit, yes we do.

Texas is not like the other Southern states.

They're an extremely valuable asset to the US.
    Nah, you guys don't need us to do well, we'll just keep dragging y'all backwards and preventing social and economic progress at the national level of government. Just forget about all of the oil & gas refineries, businesses, and natural resources located in our state. We also make absolutely zero contributions to the well-being of the nation as a whole, and due to the factually presented deficits of intelligence, sanity, open-mindedness, and liberalism that our state clearly possesses (as many in this thread have rightfully pointed out with facts and stuff) you guys would be much better off without our poverty-stricken, worthless, and country hick selves. Y'all should totally leave us to wallow in our own intellectual and political cloud of asinine thought processes.

Do you guys really want us to go away, or do you want us to try to go away and come whimpering back like a child who says they are going to "run away" and does it for half an hour? Regardless, you Yanks can be quite hurtful sometimes </3.

I dislike California's political leanings, but solely without Silicon Valley, we wouldn't be living at the same luxurious standard we would be. Also, Nappa Valley makes significant contributions to our society. Where else does one buy cream of the crop wine solely for the purpose of fueling one's own egocentric malcontent with the world? Haters gonna hate, but California businesses employ good people that spend their paychecks employing other good people around the nation and the entire universe.

And what about Wisconsin? One might think they are just a buncha useless farmers. But without Wisconsin, where the hell do you expect good, American-made cheese to come from? And don't get me started with Idaho's potatoes, if you fucks start talking about kicking them out of the kool kids club I'll start raging at you from hundreds of miles away. And trust me, my neighbors don't want any of that action. So save them the pain and don't even THINK about telling poor old Idaho they aren't allowed into our secret clan meetings every other year. They said they would ramp up potatoe production for 2013 so I think we should allow them to stay.

In all seriousness, nobody actually wants Texas to secede. Or more accurately, nobody (on either side) who understands the harsh economic impact such a secession would have on both the US and the seceding states, no matter what state it is.

The only way secession can work is if we force Rhode Island (possibly along with Alaska, but that's up for debate) to secede. Because honestly, what do they contribute to the nation? Still just a colony of vagrants and criminals just like in the 1600's if you ask me. I introduce a motion to force them to secede. Will anyone second the motion?
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

"So with Obama's victory, people had enough sh17, since they're expecting things to go down hill even more.
    US is falling apart.

Your thoughts?"

Me, 8 years ago when Bush was re elected to destroy the country for 4 more years. War czar's for 8 years in this country decimated the economy. Need I say more?

I'd like to see that haha.

Secessionists are just a bunch of loudmouths who've been talking this kind of crap for decades. America isn't the only country with that kind of movement either.

The really funny part is looking back on all the serious shit America has been through in its few hundred years of history, and trying to imagine that all that was somehow fine and the Union remained intact (through a freaking civil war over slavery even!) but Obama is some kind of dealbreaker. L-O-freaking-L. It's just amazing how hysterical conservatives have been after this election's defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Really? I dont think its illegal. States have the right to leave the US. Why wouldnt they? If Texas believes that its better for them to leave then they should. I as a resident of Virginia dont care, and wouldnt care if Virginia decided to leave.
    In deciding the merits of the bond issue, the court further held that the Constitution did not permit states to unilaterally secede from the United States, and that the ordinances of secession, and all the acts of the legislatures within seceding states intended to give effect to such ordinances, were "absolutely null".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_v._White

From when Texas attempted to secede in 1869. So I think that pretty conclusively settles that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daftone View Post
    The formation of the united states was illegal too. Nothings illegal if you win. Besides texas can legally leave the u.s. any time they want its in their constitution. All they have to do is have the other states become part of texas and they can all legally leave.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 11:49 PM ----------

conservatives have a right to be scared. They are the ones who will be over taxed to support the rest. The poor don't pay taxes and the rich bribe the government.
    Lol. Bullshit. I'm a liberal, served in the military, work, pay taxes and don't think I'm superior for doing something that I have to do. And there are just as many liberals as conservatives in that department. This is cliche republican propaganda, when the reality of it is there are many elite do what they can to reduce what they pay at all cost. This whole "Im herd werkin' 'Merican derp terx money goez to freeloaders" argument is played out.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederic...re-study-says/

talk about not paying your fair share.
    Last edited by Seezer; 2012-11-12 at 01:03 AM.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

http://www.examiner.com/article/citi...-united-states

As a result of Tuesday's election, Americans in 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States, Regina Conley reported at Red Alert Politics on Saturday.

So far, she says, residents in Louisiana, Texas, Kentucky, Colorado, New Jersey and ten other states, have filed petitions at the White House petition site requesting secession. A petition for New York to secede was file by "C R" of Grand Forks, North Dakota on Saturday.

Examiner's Sheila Carroll says those other states include Montana, North Dakota, Indiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Georgia and Oregon.

On November 7, the day after the election, "Michael E" from Slidell, Louisiana, filed a petition at the White House "We the People" site, requesting that Louisiana be allowed to secede.

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation," the petition reads, quoting the Declaration of Independence.

As of this writing, the petition has 8.162 signatures and needs 16,838 to reach a goal of 25,000.

On Friday, a Texas resident created a petition to secede in order to protect the standard of living Texans now enjoy.

"The US continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government's neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending. The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA, the TSA, etc. Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect its citizens' standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government," the petition reads.

As of this writing, that petition had 5,289 signatures.

The Oregon petition, started Saturday by "Kristopher W" of Tillamook, Oregon, wants the state to remain an ally of the United States and possibly vote to rejoin the Union once "the citizens of Oregon felt the Federal Government was no longer imposing" what it calls a tyrannical government that cares nothing about the future of Oregon's children."

Petitions on the White House site have 30 days to reach a threshold of 25,000 signatures.

"While these petitions serve more to make a point than to present a serious proposition, they are a physical symbol of the deep resentment for the direction in which the United States is moving under the Obama administration," Conley added.
    See bold. This is just people trying to start drama, nothing more.