View Poll Results: Is this a Court issue?

Voters
272. This poll is closed
  • Legal issue

17 6.25%
  • frivolous Lawsiut

255 93.75%
Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Post Lawsuit over Authenticators

I searched around and did not find a thread on this topic yet so i started one,sorry if one appears in the time it takes to post this.
    I came across this article on Massively,and thought it might be an interesting discussion...and hopefully not a flame war.(though i know better)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11...t-authenticat/

The question is; Is this a frivolous lawsuit or an actual issue the courts need to decide?
    I saw your title, and was fully intending on coming here to deliver the verbal equivalent of a punch in the dick.
    -TheWerebison

You didn't search too well:

Class Action Lawsuit against Blizzard.

To answer your question though it doesn't really matter as this forum is about WoW so it's probably best to take this matter to the Offtopic Forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are free alternatives for the authenticators, not much of an issue nowadays, might have worried me when they only had this system as a "product sale"

I think its stupid, you can get Authenticators on mobile platforms for free.

Damn Thank you Xeraxis it seems i had my wording wrong in search.
    But i have a poll......and cake!

ALL: The other thread was closed because, while an interesting thing to talk about, the thread degenerated into people verbally slapping one another around. Don't let that happen to this one. If you have something constructive to add, feel free. If all you want to do is take off on someone, that will be a problem. - ML
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-11-12 at 02:32 AM.
    I saw your title, and was fully intending on coming here to deliver the verbal equivalent of a punch in the dick.
    -TheWerebison

Deleted
    Better for there to be an option, than no option at all, like most games. Perhaps they should be supplied with the game though, and replacements given for a fee. Either way seems rather frivolous to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not going to go any further than a brief hearing, they are offered free for smart phones, they are apparently made at a loss (physical authenticators) and they are not forced upon anyone as the only true way to secure an account, last I checked I don't remember Blizzard holding a gun to anybodies head. I don't really see how anyone can justify not taking accountability for their own accounts, if you want to remain safe there are plenty of ways to achieve complete security, hell, advice is even freely given on how to achieve this, quite in-depth advice (and free!) as well.

If an account gets hacked, it's most likely the fault of the customer, I find it surprising that people are so flippant with their own personal security that they can't believe it when they get hacked, then look for someone else to blame.
    Last edited by Blockygame; 2012-11-12 at 02:36 AM.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

10+ Year Old Account
    They are free... you pay for postage. Why are people so cheap?

Plus, most people have smart phones these days, so it's completely free.

The article is very short. Taking 1 minute to read it would prevent a lot of the "It's free on smart phones" posts.

I don't know how so many people get hacked, because Blizzard locks my account just for signing onto their site on my laptop at work, which is only 100 yards from my house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshadowz View Post
    I searched around and did not find a thread on this topic yet so i started one,sorry if one appears in the time it takes to post this.
    I came across this article on Massively,and thought it might be an interesting discussion...and hopefully not a flame war.(though i know better)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11...t-authenticat/

The question is; Is this a frivolous lawsuit or an actual issue the courts need to decide?
    Meh, it costs them money to make those authenticators and have the system be able to recognize them. I think they should be compensated for that rather than simply eating the costs.

The physical authenticators are like $6 and make your acct completely safe.

There is no other way to perform this task, because they have no control over your PC. How do you expect blizzard to keep your pc safe? Its ludicrous.

Stood in the Fire UnstoppableErasor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    I think its stupid, you can get Authenticators on mobile platforms for free.
    The guy probibly has a Nokia 3310, not insulting the the phone. Those could take a hit, fall down stairs and still be used.
    "Earth can be shaped molded... you cannot you are useless" - Ascendant Lord Obsidius

Deleted
    At the end of the day, account security is your own responsibility.

I played for 3-4 years before I got the mobile authenticator. Not (only) because I'm a cheapskate, but because I know how to keep my computer free from malware/spyware/trojens/etc.

I think Blizzard is a greedy company at it's core... I have issues with a lot of the ways they make money / waste players time... yet even I think this case is a joke. Blizzard don't have to provide any further account security than your username and password, the fact that they do is complementary. People who allow their accounts to be compromised shouldn't be connected to the internet at all. They belong in the same camp as people who don't password protect their wireless or people who leave spare house keys under a plant pot by the front door.

Quote Originally Posted by UnstoppableErasor View Post
    The guy probibly has a Nokia 3310, not insulting the the phone. Those could take a hit, fall down stairs and still be used.
    If you think it can only take that, you are mistaken, take a hammer and bash the phone with it.

This whole thing is so moronic there's no words to accurately describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by spambanjo View Post
    At the end of the day, account security is your own responsibility.

I played for 3-4 years before I got the mobile authenticator. Not (only) because I'm a cheapskate, but because I know how to keep my computer free from malware/spyware/trojens/etc.

I think Blizzard is a greedy company at it's core... I have issues with a lot of the ways they make money / waste players time... yet even I think this case is a joke. Blizzard don't have to provide any further account security than your username and password, the fact that they do is complementary. People who allow their accounts to be compromised shouldn't be connected to the internet at all. They belong in the same camp as people who don't password protect their wireless or people who leave spare house keys under a plant pot by the front door.
    Account security is not only our responsibility.

It rests with blizzard as well, which is why they are handing out authenticators at a cost to themselves. These things aren't free, but in the end they save blizzard money. So they have an invested interest in this as well. Also account information is on their servers, and they have to ensure that data is safe as priority #1.

I wouldn't be shocked for them to put authenticators in the new mmo's box.

Deleted
    sorry too say this is the way wow has gone, a lot of the players left will do anything to whine and a class action lawsuit is the biggest form of whine

Don't mean too insult I know there's a lot of good people still stuck in the game but there's some major numpty's.

Deleted
    I get what's being said but to be honest I'd rather have my authenticator than not and I'm glad for the stuff that Blizz had done...
    IMHO...don't bite the hand that feeds-ish!!!

People will sue for anything these day.... why? because human nature is Greed simple as that. (Not everyone is but it happens)

The reason authenticators cost is because they cost money to make. Blizzard has stated many times that they sell authenticators at cost, as in they make no profit from them whatsoever. I have no idea where this lawsuit gets $26,000,000 profits from.

The smartphone authenticator is the exact same program and is offered FOR FREE, as well. So much ignorance in this lawsuit.

It has no foundation and will be laughed out of court.