Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why does my i5-3570k and HD 7970 not perform well at all in rift?

This is really the reason why I have not bought Rift and have only played the storm legion beta and the trial. It's that my highend PC does not run Rift at a FPS that I would like. I get around 40 in almost every area and it's kind of annoying lol.

Also, the shadows in the game look horrible. I don't know if it's just my graphics card on rift or if it's the game. I run BF3 on ultra flawlessly and also GW2.

If anyone doesn't see my post at the bottom. My cpu is overclocked to 4.2ghz and my gpu is at 1225/1575
    Last edited by dezzick; 2012-11-13 at 01:07 AM.

Rift isn't optimized 'the best.' Comparing GW2 to Rift, I get 50 fps in GW2, all the time (never goes higher or lower), but in Rift I get ~30-40.

The engine kinda is sucky, but w/e, game is great so I can deal with 30-40fps. Not like I can tell the difference between it and 50...

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

10+ Year Old Account
    I get 70fps in any zone and 30-40fps in any populated zones/situations only difference is I use Nivida 580 (Nivida fanboy here) I prefer them for gaming. I'm not sure if your series of AMD video card is newer then mine I don't follow AMD....at all. SL beta performed better then classic Rift for me anyways.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I get 70fps in any zone and 30-40fps in any populated zones/situations only difference is I use Nivida 580 (Nivida fanboy here) I prefer them for gaming. I'm not sure if your series of AMD video card is newer then mine I don't follow AMD....at all. SL beta performed better then classic Rift for me anyways.
    His card is better than yours, you're getting better fps prolly becuase of lower resultion, less graphics etc. fanboy..

You remind me of those with a i5 2500k - 560ti and saying they're getting 120 fps in 25 man raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    HD 7970 = GTX 680. It's a generation newer than the 580. I've been looking around and from the looks of it, AMD is doing far worse than the NVIDIA in Rift.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzick View Post
    HD 7970 = GTX 680. It's a generation newer than the 580. I've been looking around and from the looks of it, AMD is doing far worse than the NVIDIA in Rift.
    Rift is bad constructed. That's the flaw with the game.

I have an i5-2500k (not overclocked....for lack of need) and a 6950 2ghz, running 1680x1050 resolution and I only get fps lag when I'm in world event bosses.
    Last edited by Fluffygong; 2012-11-12 at 10:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    His card is better than yours, you're getting better fps prolly becuase of lower resultion, less graphics etc. fanboy..

You remind me of those with a i5 2500k - 560ti and saying they're getting 120 fps in 25 man raids.
    Nope, maxed everything sorry to disappoint and proud Nivida fanboy. Rift isn't the best optimized game out there no doubt. It runs just fine for some people though. Tera was about the only MMO that ran like a beast. Wtb Unreal 3 engine for Rift. My PC specs are in my sig btw but thanks for "assuming" I'm one of those that get over 9k FPS in 25 mans. (I don't play wow btw)

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffygong View Post
    I have an i5-2500k (not overclocked....for lack of need) and a 6950 2ghz, running 1680x1050 resolution and I only get fps lag when I'm in world event bosses.
    I'm playing at 1920x1080

Quote Originally Posted by dezzick View Post
    I'm playing at 1920x1080
    I play at that resolution with a GTX 560ti, most settings fairly high or maxed out, 25fps if it's intensely busy, upto 50fps out in the world. You don't need 120fps constantly to enjoy a game, stop nit picking. Your complaint is pointless, and if you can't enjoy the game on your current rig, you've got something wrong with your PC, not the game.

i gotta call shenanigans on this. rift runs like crap on my system (i7 2600k 4.7 ghz, 3x 580 gtx, 16 gb ram) i dont get over 20 fps in any zone. im only on high settings with anti alias off, shadows environment only.

it drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by drtrann View Post
    i gotta call shenanigans on this. rift runs like crap on my system (i7 2600k 4.7 ghz, 3x 580 gtx, 16 gb ram) i dont get over 20 fps in any zone. im only on high settings with anti alias off, shadows environment only.

it drives me insane.
    Here's me with everything maxed in Sanctum with a whole load of NPCs around, still getting 22fps with a single GTX 560ti and an old i7 930. No overclocks. You're clearly failing somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account

it drives me insane.
    Just a bit of proof I'm not BSing here's some screen shots I just took. 1st one is in the city during a city zone event. 43+fps as I claimed. FPS is at bottom right hand corner of the screen shots.

Next photo is in Ember Isle yeah there's not much going on 66+fps

Last one is my video settings I do have particle density turned down to min 100 since it's annoying seeing massive blobs of colors while raiding or in a zone event from everyone's spell effects on bosses and I do shadows as environment only since I've been streaming a fair amount of Rift (at 1080p I might add)

In Storm Legion beta I was even getting better performance this is in classic Rift.

I've got HD6800 and FX4100 (overclocked to 4,3ghz instead of the measely 3,6ghz factory setting) and I run the game on slightly above medium setting around 50 fps in regular zones (1920x1200 resolution). The game still looks very good. Super high settings don't really look all that much better in RIFT, but are a lot more resource consuming.

Do you have supersampling enabled? It cuts my FPS by solid 20+. Can't stand the soft look edge smoothing gives, so I go commando when it comes to anti-aliasing. Toy with the options. The shadows, I don't know. It may be a problem with AMD though, I remember seeing weird clipping shadows every now and then. I think tweaking some option (don't remember which) helped with it. You could also download AMD caps. I don't know if that's going to help (if there's anything RIFT spesific there), but it's not going to make it worse either.

Although, it's propably CPU related, almost everything in this game is: the CPU usage isn't all that well optimised. Go to your rift.cfg file in the game directory and change CPU main thread to 0 instead of 3. That helps with some people. You can also change the games processor affinity: for some reason using only 3 cores instead of 4 improved my stability FPS-wise (going below that dramatically made things worse). I have no idea why that would work, but it did.

i7-2600k 560ti = 30 fps for me on max settings, which is perfectly fine. It does drop to about 22 during intense moments but thats more then playable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc7 View Post
    Although, it's propably CPU related, almost everything in this game is: the CPU usage isn't all that well optimised. Go to your rift.cfg file in the game directory and change CPU main thread to 0 instead of 3. That helps with some people. You can also change the games processor affinity: for some reason using only 3 cores instead of 4 improved my stability FPS-wise (going below that dramatically made things worse). I have no idea why that would work, but it did.
    Have you looked at rift.cfg since patch 1.11? It's completly changed now btw. I use to turn down the particle density in there to 20 since the lowest Rift will let you do is 100 and that's crazy. It's what causes big blobs of spell effects on mobs from players as seen in this picture below. I don't know how you can change values anymore safely and if you can please enlighten me.

Here's the particle density I'm talking about notice the blobs on this boss: (You can't even see it due to spell effects)

Last edited by Azuri; 2012-11-13 at 12:39 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I wouldn't suggest calling a moderator a fanboy, and for the record, no, he's not being a fanboy. I have an i5-2500K@4.4GHz, and an overclocked 560 Ti, but you won't see me talking up 120 fps in 25 man raids, least not maxed out - partially because I don't play WoW anymore. lol. Rift does murder my computer though, I was only averaging 32 fps in Ember Isle earlier, with the settings not even maxed - but close. And that's only at a meager 1920x1080.

Rift is bad constructed. That's the flaw with the game.
    This is true and the community has mostly accepted that Rift is better optimized on NVidia GPUs, than AMD, so I would not be shocked that Azuri could very easily have higher fps in Rift, plus the OP might not have an OC'd CPU, Azuri not only has his 3570K@4.4GHz, but also has 2133MHz clocked RAM, which gives him a bit better performance, as well.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 12:36 AM ----------

it drives me insane.
    Try NOT using SLI.... still not too many games support SLI very well, Rift isn't one of them.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    I play at that resolution with a GTX 560ti, most settings fairly high or maxed out, 25fps if it's intensely busy, upto 50fps out in the world. You don't need 120fps constantly to enjoy a game, stop nit picking. Your complaint is pointless, and if you can't enjoy the game on your current rig, you've got something wrong with your PC, not the game.
    How do I have something wrong with my PC if I get 70+ fps in BF3 on ultra. Also I get the correct benchmarks for unigine and 3dmark11.

I don't see that much nitpicking from my side. I see way more nitpicking from other posters on this thread. I should be getting good performance from a $400 card and a $200 processor. You might feel the same as well if you spent that much money on a system.

BTW, my CPU is overclocked to 4.2ghz and I have 8 gigs of memory at 1333 mhz. Overclocking memory doesn't add that much performance so I didn't bother.

I'm using 12.10 drivers, not using the beta drivers as those can be really unstable. My Graphics card is also overclocked to 1125/1575 from the stock clock of 925/1375 I think
    Last edited by dezzick; 2012-11-13 at 12:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I wouldn't suggest calling a moderator a fanboy, and for the record, no, he's not being a fanboy. I have an i5-2500K@4.4GHz, and an overclocked 560 Ti, but you won't see me talking up 120 fps in 25 man raids, least not maxed out - partially because I don't play WoW anymore. lol. Rift does murder my computer though, I was only averaging 32 fps in Ember Isle earlier, with the settings not even maxed - but close. And that's only at a meager 1920x1080.
    Haha thx for backing me up Deltrus but I'm a bit guilty too I actually called myself a fanboy in the first post because hey I am one for Nivida that doesn't mean I'm going to rage if someone likes AMD better but the other poster did use it more derogatory fashion but I got thick skin. Yeah I don't want to get into pissing matches with anyone but some of us like yourself tend to run our PC's a little more optimally then factory default settings. My GPU runs factory overclocked as I'm not a big fan of GPU OCing I don't feel the heat increase justifies the gain in performance. I also run a liquid cooled system and Ivy bridge runs hotter then Sandy so I don't think every gamer should instantly jump into their BIOS and OC their CPU with out doing some homework. I run an incredibly fast SSD not that has anything to do with FPS but I don't skimp out on anything.

Back OT hopefully the OP can do some tweaks to make things run better not familiar with AMD and I hear their drivers aren't always the most stable. I'd check to make sure you have the most current drivers for starters.

Is anyone here using a gtx 680 or a gtx 670. Something closer to the power of a hd 7970. Thanks for all the feedback in this thread but maybe it's something with the newer generation cards, I have no clue.