Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If you had to choose...

My brother and I had a conversation last night and he felt his answer was an obvious choice. I wanted to see what other people thought and since I stalk these forums anyway...

You are going to be in pain for the next year. With 10 being splicing a nerve ending and 1 being a general headache, which of the following do you choose?
    Your options are...

1 year at a constant level 6.
    1 year of a gradual incline from 1 to 10
    1 year of a gradual decline from 10 to 1

Quote Originally Posted by Hopscotch View Post
    My brother and I had a conversation last night and he felt his answer was an obvious choice. I wanted to see what other people thought and since I stalk these forums anyway...

Your options are...

1 year at a constant level 6.
    1 year of a gradual incline from 1 to 10
    Well i can deal with a decent amount of pain so siting at a 6 wouldn't bug me to much "due to health problems im normally hurting anyway"

the 10 to 1 would really have to depend how gradual the decline is cause it could be a 10 for like 8 months then start going down.

at lease with a pain level of 6 i can get use to it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

year of gradual decline, cause that at least i know it can't get any worse lol
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Obviously constant 6.

Not sure what this has to do with World of Warcraft though.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Constant 6 probably. Maybe with a decline you can be happy that things are improving, but fuck everything about an incline. That choice is silly.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artravus View Post
    Constant 6 probably. Maybe with a decline you can be happy that things are improving, but fuck everything about an incline. That choice is silly.
    I'm not sure that it is is silly, it slowly builds up so you get used to it and suddenly at the end it drops from 10 to 0 whereas the other way you don't notice it and are just miserable about the pain you suffered. :P

Decline/incline seemed more personality driven. Delay what you can today for tomorrow or dive in head first. I totally choose constant 6 but he felt the incline would be better since the average would be 5 thus a vulcan would choose the logical choice.

I guess constant 6 or decline from 10 to 1... i would like to say i would chose 10 to 1... but id probably be too pussy to choose that, or at least live with the consequences, and prefer a constant level of lesser pain.

I would have to go with a constant 6. The last few months or the first few of the other two options wouldn't be that comfortable to say the least.

Deleted
    Constant 6, I'd rather feel something than have a niggling little headache for a couple months either way.

Deleted
    all of the above + morphine

Deleted
    I don't know but I think I would choose the 1 year of a gradual incline from 1 to 10.

Starting with 1, and increasing, will make me endure the pain a lot better, meaning that I will be able to handle the pain better.

Deleted
    10 - 1 Eeez! Starting with the worst sounds best to me!

I'd prefer 10-> 1 decline, which is really like naturally healing over time from some sort of physical trauma. Going from 1->10 is like suffering from a terminal illness, it's horrible to gradually endure more.

Think about it this way, on the 10->1 decline every day going forward, you will feel less pain and it gives you hope to endure. If you know every day you wake up you are going to incrementally feel more pain, do you look forward to it?

Deleted
    10-1 or 6, kind of a close call.

with 1-10 I'd go to a doctor at some point

Another reason I choose constant 6 was because I would never have to feel level 10 maddening pain.

I had a herniated disc in my back for almost 2 years, pretty much an 6 or 7 all the time plus worse when I worked manual labor on greasy floors (fast food don'ch'ya'kno). I could probably do any of them, 1 moreso than the others. And it does depend on how long the 10 lasts in the gradual decay / gain. If it was 10 for 1.2 months (12 / 10) and every 1.2 months the pain would decrease I could do any of them. But if it's skewed then I don't know.

You would get used to a constant 6, or at least you'd get used to it more than if it were shifting all the time. Going with constant 6.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I'm feeling a 1-10 incline over the next 18 years. It started with going into labor and delivery and gradually gotten worse since then.... :P

On a more serious note, I'd settle for the constant 6. I've been dealing with a constant 5-6 for the past 11 years, so it's really not that bad. You actually become so used to it that you don't even notice it anymore after awhile.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Deleted
    This one for me.

Sure it may suck at first, but the great thing about the human body is the ability to cope with pain. Especially if you can't help it.
    After a while we get used to it and it will only improve after that.

On one hand, you'd have gotten somewhat used to the pain and on the other hand you'll only feel better each day. It's a win-win situation (well, apart from getting the pain in the first place of course)

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 05:09 AM ----------

Decline/incline seemed more personality driven. Delay what you can today for tomorrow or dive in head first.
    From 1 to 10 doesn't seem a good idea psychologically. We're more likely to give up when things constantly get worse.

Maybe a few people could do it, but I think most can't.