Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I'm so torn with this.

I love playing MMOs, playing with others and whatnot, but there aren't any MMOs out there that are more interesting than Guild Wars 2 at the moment. But the fact that ArenaNet is going in a direction I don't like just feels wrong, I don't want to support that, but there is no other MMO I can go to at this point, because I really like the way Guild Wars 2 works at the moment. New content, new things to explore, new mechanics, all that works for me, but gear progression is a no for me.

In an interview a long time ago they wrote that gear progression is not something that is needed in Guild Wars 2, the players wil progress in other ways, but they seemed to have scrapped that by now.

I don't really know what to do.

Deleted
    but maybe exotic wasn't ment to be the 'end' set. maybe this is.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 01:34 PM ----------

they're also gonna add Legendary gear if I remember correctly, though that will probably work the same as with weapons; same stats just fancy lookin'

Also keep in mind that it's not the whole gear set that changes, only the rings etc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Count_Satyros View Post
    Also keep in mind that it's not the whole gear set that changes, only the rings etc
    For now.

"Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content."

Deleted
    I haven't really posted here a lot since the game came out, I've just been been enjoying the game. But I have to say that this is very disappointing.
    The fact that you will be able to gain more power from one specific dungeon, forcing every serious wvw player into pve. It just goes completely against what they said this game would be about.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count_Satyros View Post
    Initially yes. They will add more types later so you will be eventually in Ascended gear. Which refers to the entire gear. So their initial progression will be very slow. Feeding you two or three new items at a time. But the longer the game lasts the more it will add up until they may decide to introduce another tier. The difference is the speed which will make the curve more flat and give an illusion of equality because the plateau will be reached over many tiny stair steps.

Even so it's about the principle because the temptation to flood the game with tiny steps which eventually will add up. Seeing they are giving in already after three months shows how low the resistance threshold to such temptations there are. As a developer sometimes you have to eat bullets and accept people turning away. CCP did that for years accepting that growth of their game will be very very slow compared to trendy big themeparks. So I am very skeptical about whether it's really the final tier even if they are assuring us about that in another blog post.

As I said before it'd not be the first company turning away from their initial principles. It's in fact part of their iteration process and every developer is eventually going through that. Sometimes you have to give in but I firmly believe that this should only be the case if you are hitting a dead end of a road. Maybe they realized that this was the case given their cogwork of rewards, dungeon design and progression was causing frictions and controversial debates. Their forums are heavily moderated and filtered so it's a higher SNR than in other games so I believe their argument that it's based on feedback is true. I hope they are addressing the other 'cogs' as well, otherwise it would be a very lop-sided and unsophisticated way of addressing player concerns and if they are indeed addressing all concerns the question will still remain whether stat-based gear progression was really necessary as seemingly a lot players said: Progression yes, treadmill/stat-based progression no.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    I'm so torn with this.

I love playing MMOs, playing with others and whatnot, but there aren't any MMOs out there that are more interesting than Guild Wars 2 at the moment. But the fact that ArenaNet is going in a direction I don't like just feels wrong, I don't want to support that, but there is no other MMO I can go to at this point, because I really like the way Guild Wars 2 works at the moment. New content, new things to explore, new mechanics, all that works for me, but gear progression is a no for me.

In an interview a long time ago they wrote that gear progression is not something that is needed in Guild Wars 2, the players wil progress in other ways, but they seemed to have scrapped that by now.

I don't really know what to do.
    ehm....just play the game but don't buy gems in the shop? The beauty of GW2 is, you can play the game without really helping the developers. Well, beauty might be the wrong term...

regarding PvP:

its entirely possible for ascended gear to also be added to WvW, so calm down here. There will be ascended gear with infusion slots and without. the ascended gear without them could come from anywhere, even pvp.
    Last edited by mmoc5babf89286; 2012-11-13 at 01:18 PM.

I'm going to wait and see it all for myself once it goes live, but I have a feeling lots of people will stop playing after this news. There is a lot of disappointment from what I'm reading. I just hope this doesn't reflect badly on the game (which at the moment is doing). Anet really is bad at communication in my opinion and this was handled really lame on their part. But like I said, I will wait and check it all out for myself before saying anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbas View Post
    For now.

"Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content."
    If your doing end game content aka this new dungeon you will get that gear. If your not doing the dungeon you wont. You also wont need the gear outside of this "end game" dungeon. Btw every other dungeon in the game is also a "endgame" dungeon, they are just designed with and ending while this new one is not.

You wont need the gear to start doing the dungeon, you may not even notice the agony debuff intil your 4, 5, 6 or 10 runs in. Its really nothing to worry about.

Deleted
    We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.
    From June 19th 2012:
    http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-...asures-success
    Last edited by mmocfaba3fe16a; 2012-11-13 at 01:41 PM.

i feel people don't understand how a gear treadmill works and that is why they are complaining. a treadmill would imply you need gear from dungeon A to stand a chance in dungeon B. this gear just helps you stand a chance again harder versions of the same dungeon and infusion slots accomplish this without the need to give a huge stat boost. outside of that one dungeon ascended gear won't give you a huge edge in other content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    If your doing end game content aka this new dungeon you will get that gear. If your not doing the dungeon you wont. You also wont need the gear outside of this "end game" dungeon.
    This is exactly the same for any other mmo with a gear treadmill. You don't need the gear to do any of the open world content, but for raiding and dungeons you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Elekial View Post
    This is exactly the same for any other mmo with a gear treadmill. You don't need the gear to do any of the open world content, but for raiding and dungeons you do.
    accept you dont need the gear to do the new dungeon at its lowest level. You only want the gear if your going to progress to its highest difficulty. You still get to do the content if you dont have the gear. This is not true of a Gear treadmill game which requires you obtain the gear first to do the content.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    i feel people don't understand how a gear treadmill works and that is why they are complaining. a treadmill would imply you need gear from dungeon A to stand a chance in dungeon B. this gear just helps you stand a chance again harder versions of the same dungeon and infusion slots accomplish this without the need to give a huge stat boost. outside of that one dungeon ascended gear won't give you a huge edge in other content.
    This guy gets it. Its the same dungeon guys just a higher difficulty. You dont need the gear to do the lower difficulty versions.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your doing end game content aka this new dungeon you will get that gear. If your not doing the dungeon you wont. You also wont need the gear outside of this "end game" dungeon. Btw every other dungeon in the game is also a "endgame" dungeon, they are just designed with and ending while this new one is not.

You wont need the gear to start doing the dungeon, you may not even notice the agony debuff intil your 4, 5, 6 or 10 runs in. Its really nothing to worry

about.
    So they're basically doing what every other major mmos do, ya not the reason I play guild wars your quote is pointless just as much as arena net's philosophy.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Deleted
    accept you dont need the gear to do the new dungeon at its lowest level. You only want the gear if your going to progress to its highest difficulty. You still get to do the content if you dont have the gear. This is not true of a Gear treadmill game which requires you obtain the gear first to do the content.
    And when a new WoW expansion launches you don't need raid gear to kill the first bosses on normal mode either, the gearchecks come later.

I think we have a winner!

And when a new WoW expansion launches you don't need raid gear to kill the first bosses on normal mode either, the gearchecks come later.
    you do need to first get heroic dungeon gear how ever, that is the gear check. You cant go into a raid with full greens and expect to kill anything. You cannot see the content as a fresh level 90 with all greens and a few blues and expect to go 5/5 or 10/10 in any raid.

In GW2 as a fresh level 80 you can expect to be a dungeon master if you really want to. And this new dungeon is no different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffkeeks View Post
    but maybe exotic wasn't ment to be the 'end' set. maybe this is.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 01:34 PM ----------

they're also gonna add Legendary gear if I remember correctly, though that will probably work the same as with weapons; same stats just fancy lookin'
    Pretty much this... i remember them saying in an interview that exotics would be best "at launch" gear, and i like how people are flipping tables and screaming about how those 2 rings with that 3 stat difference are only available in that one instance so OH GOD!! NOW SOMEONE CAN OUTGEAR ME IN PVP HURHURDUR!!

I'm going to just wait and see where this goes... and jesus people calm your tits, there will without a doubt be a crafting recipie for jewelers later, the whole ascension gear is likely only in this dungeon FOR NOW.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 08:59 AM ----------

you do need to first get heroic dungeon gear how ever, that is the gear check. You cant go into a raid with full greens and expect to kill anything. You cannot see the content as a fresh level 90 with all greens and a few blues and expect to go 5/5 or 10/10 in any raid.

In GW2 as a fresh level 80 you can expect to be a dungeon master if you really want to. And this new dungeon is no different.
    In GW2 you can complete explo mode dungeons wearing lv 16 rares because items of your weight level never dropped!! YAY RANDOM DROPS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    People keep talking about the raw stat differences, but it seems that the even bigger issue - resist gear - is being missed.
    That's not a big deal... If you come charging me in fully pimped out ascension gear (with all infusion) in pvp I'm gonna still drop you like a rock cause I don't have agony as a condition, I mean fuck, no player does!! The only area this resistance will do ANYTHING is in harder difficulties of THE SAME DUNGEON YOU GOT IT IN. I fail to see how any of this is a problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Who said anything about PvP? /boggle

The whole "same dungeon you got it in" thing still isn't relevant, either. Not sure why people keep acting like it just makes it all ok.
    Bovinity, you've been bashing the game since before it ever even launched, working every thread like it's a job or something.

You are irrelevant.
    Uh, no. He makes points. You're arguing against the user, not his points. Who's irrelevant? --Kel
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-11-13 at 03:23 PM.
    Valar morghulis