2H frost, haste sweetspot?

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has figured out if there is some sort of haste breakpoint?
    Asking this since I'm simming my own character in simcraft to determine wether I should use strenght or haste gems.
    Turns out, if I gem haste, my stat weights are str: 2.56 and haste: 1.00
    On the other hand, when gemmed for str, my stat weights are str: 2.54 and haste: 1.52
    So, according to the sims, the value for haste takes a massive dip around this. This is with about 50% melee haste. (I vary between 48 and 52% IIRC)

Any input or this, or am I just derping with sims?

Deleted
    I think you need to plot your ungemmed-unreforged (reforge only to meet hit/exp cap) gear to see how strength and haste behave.

But I think for every amount of strenght there is a breakpoint of haste so you basically need to "balance" them.

This isn't anything unusual.

It's probably not going to be a dps increase to gem haste as 2h frost until you have a heroic weapon or tier two set, and possibly not until you have both.

For what it's worth, I'm currently sitting at 493 ilvl with a normal starshatter and strength gems. I sim 92142 dps with this gear setup.

If I change my gems to haste my dps drops to 91732, so for now strength is still better.

If I make the same comparison with a heroic starshatter I sim 96680 with strength gems and 96804 with haste gems, so at this point haste has become better.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haste is worth more of you have less of it, from what I understand on DRs. It does seem rather weird that it would drop by ~33% though. This could be a breakpoint for a certain amount of KM procs though I wouldn't know. I'm just gonna stick to gemming for socket bonusses with a focus on strength, like I always have ^^

Go under options and plots in simcraft, then check in Strength and Haste, and adjust the number of plot points/plot step and run the sim. That will give you a graph showing you at what points haste/str overtake each other in terms of dps.

Off topic: awesome transmog .

Right, simming plots now. Takes aaaaaaages though :/
    And thanks :3

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 01:34 PM ----------

Sim finally finished! Not a bloody clue how to interpret it though. The result:

A good amount of haste I have found was around 6500. After I have got 6500, I am gemming all str. Right now I got 7450 haste and gems are all str. So after these 6500 you gonna see that the rune starve thing does not happens so often like when you had a really low amount of haste.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hunty View Post
    Right, simming plots now. Takes aaaaaaages though :/
    And thanks :3

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 01:34 PM ----------

Sim finally finished! Not a bloody clue how to interpret it though. The result:
    The plot sims how much dps you gain if you add a certain amount of the stat you analyzed (in this case haste and strength).

You see that strength grows linear while haste doesn't. That means that strength never loses his value while haste shows some sort of little "breakpoint" and then grows more than strength (if you see at 0 the blue line is nearly horizontal but before and after that there is a little spiky growth).

So if you add 400 strength to your gear you gain roughly 1k dps (82,575-81,524) if you add 400 haste you gain less than rougly 400 dps (something like 81,900-81,524). Back in Cata there was no point to wonder if it was better haste or strength but in MoP we have double amount of secondary stat gems so we have to compare the growth we have with 200 more strength and the growth we have with 400 more haste: it seems that 200 more strength would give you something like 500 dps more while 400 more haste would give you something like 400 dps more. At the moment strength is better than 2*haste so you should gem strength.

Sorry if it's not clear but I'm not able to explain it any better in english XD

Thanks, I think I understand it And since strenght stays linear while haste suffers from diminishing returns, will I always gem strenght from this point onwards?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hunty View Post
    Thanks, I think I understand it And since strenght stays linear while haste suffers from diminishing returns, will I always gem strenght from this point onwards?
    As you see your plot only add few points (400) of the analyzed stat so probably you have to run a bigger plot (good luck with that ) or you have to plot every time you get 3-4 more ilvl to see how strength and haste behave with better gear/more strength-haste.

Thats why about 6500 haste you start to change your gems to haste :P I used to have 10k+ haste, so changed all gems to str. Today 7.5k haste and about 2k more str instead the 10k haste.

I have over 8k haste (ignore my reforges now, they're for Wind Lord Heroic) and I still encounter dry spells, except during lust.

During lust I sit around 60-100 RP and tend to use KM Oblits even if it will RP cap me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dossou View Post

During lust I sit around 60-100 RP and tend to use KM Oblits even if it will RP cap me.
    Yeah, I do the same. I prefer to waste some FS rather than some KM procs.